Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone install longer bags on their scout when changing exhaust to 2:1? Also, what are the options for mounting that won't leave the bags so far from the fender. I just am not a fan of the open gap between fender and bag when using easy brackets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
of course you would want an adequate gap so you don't hit / damage anything... that's kind of a silly response, to me that gap looks a little excessive. maybe it just looks that way because there is no rear seat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are we 12? let me clarify, the "silly" part of your response (in my opinion) was that you felt the need to state you would rather have a gap than damage your bike.... which to me would be a given. since I don't yet have a scout I am investigating items to do, hence the question. I appreciate the fact that you share your experience that a bag too close to the fender could result in damage to the bike.

·
Rider
604 Posts
I opened the thread when your reply only asked if I was 12. You must have edited it before I got around to replying.

I think it's silly you expected me (or anyone) to know you don't already have a Scout and were complaining about your current gap. Oh well, I'm done 'helping' you, I'll let someone else.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Belt guard depends on year of the scout I think. Early scouts had a plastic guard. My 18 scout has a metal guard.

You could always put a luggage rack on there and use some throw over bags. There's a sweet set of Comanchero bags for horses I was seriously considering. Lot of options, not enough information on your preferences.

Hesitant to throw anything out there. Rather not have you bite me too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so maybe I over reacted to original response, probably read too much into it and took it personally... didn't feel there was a need to make a statement about sacrificing safety / damage for a specific look. So if I did, my apologies, definitely didn't mean to bite the hand that feeds you, nothing quite as valuable as other's experience. As far as my preferences go, I am not fond of the "small" saddlebag look or the "gap" that I see with the easy brackets, am simply looking for options to fill the side of the bike better with a 2:1 exhaust (longer) that doesn't make the back end of the bike look like a wide load. I've done a lot of browsing and haven't seen a black and white option, hence the post.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Still a lot of room to play here. Hard bags, leather, waterproof textile?

You're in kind of rare territory. I eliminated exhaust clearance entirely on my Fatboy but that put me into a low information zone.

Going to have to decide what brackets you do want. Then start doing measurements for how much clearance you'll have. After that, it's a long search for what you can get away with in the style you like will that mate up to those brackets.

The reason I mentioned horse bags, they're throw overs and adjustable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, a lot of room still. I am open to type of bag, I think if I had to pick a starting point it would be bracket but my end vision is bags as close as possible to bike that fill the side nicely with a 2:1 exhaust without being too wide. In the past I've always based it on a video or picture that I came across and it caught my eye... haven't had that yet with bags on the scout.

Thanks for the ideas

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think you'll be leaning more towards hard bags. Check out Ebay, some up and comer came out with a series of hard bags named after states that were most all billed as working on the scout. I've seen one or two of them in pics but none of them was running a 2:1. Might contact the seller and see what they can do. motea-com I think was the seller.

Other big name on hard bags is National Cycle Cruiseliner bags. Problem with the those is the lids go way over the fender. Have to run a passenger seat to even out the appearance.

Either way, you'll have to talk to them to see what they can do about getting the most for the extra length you have to work with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently replaced my stock exhaust(among other things) with the RPW Jack exhaust which is fairly short and about swingarm high. I've been riding around on and off with my OEM saddle bags and haven't felt a bit of heat on the bottom of them when I checked to see if they were ok. Hope that helps if that was a concern.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How is the fit / finish / sound of RPW? I was looking at Bassani Road Rage but the RPW also caught my eye.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I absolutely love it. It's the same one that was used on the indian black hills beast bike. There really aren't any videos of the sound that I could find, but it's almost like a mid tone loud growl? I can upload a video of mine tomorrow, but I got mine in the black finish however they do offer chrome. It doesn't fit with passenger pegs but rpw also sells replacement ones that fit below that are actually in a better position than the oem ones. It should be noted that a passenger's really gonna feel the heat without some kind of shield. If you end up sitting in traffic for an extended period of time your gonna be feeling it too. Definitely made to be going fast ;). Getting it on was fine, no more difficult than getting the old exhaust off. As far as loud, yes they are. My buddies got cobra straight pipes on his vstar and he doesnt like riding behind me lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did pair it with an arlen ness torque box and pvcx and it made a world of difference. The best way to put it is to say the bike woke up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts