Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new 2019 scout abs at the end of august and road it for 3 months putting 1000 miles on it (dealer break-in checkup service at 500 miles). I put it away on thanksgiving weekend for the winter and winterized it following all of the steps in the manual except that I didn’t put it on a stand. I move the bike once or twice per week.

I went to sit on it yesterday and it appears that sometime over the past week the front brakes failed. I can pull the lever all the way to the handlebars and get very little braking.

I wanted to see if anyone else experienced anything similar and what the issue was. Did it require brake bleeding? It seems like the issues I have read about are isolated to abs bikes which is frustrating considering we paid extra for a safety feature that made the bike less safe

·
Silver member
4,859 Posts
Maybe the factory or dealer didn't put the proper amount of fluid in the master cylinder. I don't know if I/P delivers the bikes with brake fluid or not, could be the dealers responsibility?? Regardless, I'd check the brake fluid level and add if necessary, then pull the lever a few times and see if doing that pumps the brakes up, then check the brake fluid level again. If the brakes don't pump up and fluid level is correct, it seems like a ride to the dealer is in your future.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have heard of this before on scouts that sat for a while. It will require bleeding the brakes to fix, possibly with a vacuum bleeder. Take it to the dealer should be under warranty.
Also, I would definitely check the level. My crappy dealer failed to do any PDI whatsoever. I bought different master cylinder covers when the bike had maybe just 200 miles on it, and I found in both, there was just enough fluid to barely cover the bottom. I’m really starting to get suspicious that this is why this happens on some bikes. Some dealers fail to check them, and with the fluid dangerously low, the bike gets moved/leaned just right and then you have air in the lines.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Ya the fluids looked good when I winterized the bike and there was no leak. We had some extreme weather when it occurred and the garage was freezing but it’s not like brake fluid can fully freeze.

I guess to the dealer it is :-(

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a known issue to Indian. I had the same thing happen on my Scout Bobber 2019. Take it to the dealer and they should take care of it. What happens is due to the way the brakes are setup on the Scout; something to do with the master cylinder positioning can allow air to remain trapped in the system even when using a vacuum bleed (or something like that... paraphrasing the mechanics here...) I haven't had any issues with mine after taking it in. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a known issue to Indian. I had the same thing happen on my Scout Bobber 2019. Take it to the dealer and they should take care of it. What happens is due to the way the brakes are setup on the Scout; something to do with the master cylinder positioning can allow air to remain trapped in the system even when using a vacuum bleed (or something like that... paraphrasing the mechanics here...) I haven't had any issues with mine after taking it in. Hope this helps.
thanks for the info

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I went down to the garage to get the bike ready to potentially ride to the dealer tomorrow and pulled the lever and it felt fine now. I test rode it and I am unable to reproduce the issue at all. It is very strange, but it seemed fine all winter, then when the temperatures went below 0 i would pull the lever and it felt like nothing was there. Now it is 65 degrees and it feels fine. I know temperature shouldn’t effect it but it seems fine now

·
Bronze member
1,895 Posts
It happens.
One dealer said "it's normal, they all do that".
I will never go there again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts