Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Scotland (29).JPG 2016 Scotland (42).JPG 2016 Scotland (49).JPG 2016 Scotland (50).JPG 2016 Scotland (54).JPG 2016 Scotland (55).JPG At last, I've done some serious distance on the Scout 60, touring Scotland with some friends: 1,296 miles in 5 days, doing between 232 and 316 miles a day, and spending between 5 and 6 1/2 hours in the saddle per day. We had sunshine. We had rain. Two of the five dropped out during the trip. The Scout 60 coped admirably.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Looks like a nice ride, had quite a diverse group of bikes, too. Any riding observations of the Scout, comfort or otherwise, you could share?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any riding observations of the Scout, comfort or otherwise, you could share?
We planned stops every couple of hours or so for fuel or refreshment. I found the saddle comfortable, except on long straight stretches of highway, when I'd start shifting around in the seat after 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Very occasionally a bump in the road would send a nasty jolt through the bike, and the bike sometimes wallowed through fast sweepers, which suggests that the suspension could be improved; nevertheless it was entirely adequate.
Several times the rear end started sliding from side to side under slight acceleration on damp roads, so in the wet I'd make sure I could pull out completely before accelerating. There was no such problem in the dry. The Commander 2 tires have done over 4000 miles, so that may be a factor, although there's loads of tread left.
We had lots of rain and, by the last day, the indicator switch didn't always turn the indicators off, so it looks like that may need to be replaced for a second time under warranty.
I foolishly forgot to put the bike in gear on one occasion, when parking the bike very slightly downhill, so it rolled off the stand and fell over; thankfully, apart from a slight scratch on the mirror and gear lever, there was no damage to the bike.
This was the first trip when I could see that the extra power of the bigger Scout engine could have been useful for occasional high speed overtakes on challenging roads. Nevertheless, the power of the 60 was more than adequate, and the engine is smooth and relaxing, with virtually no vibration. Although I have been wondering about louder exhausts to increase the feel of the bike, I was glad not to have that extra noise on a long trip.
The MRA X-creen deflected enough air to enable high speed cruising on the highway sections, and although the screen caused rocking under certain wind conditions, at other times there was no rocking. I was grateful that it took the bugs rather than my jacket!
My friends said they could see the rear light and stop light more easily than those on the Blackbird immediately behind me, which is encouraging.
In conclusion, I feel that this bike has proved itself for anything I might need it for and so, although, as with any bike or car, upgrades are possible, I am less inclined now to spend money upgrading the suspension, front fender and exhaust. The bike is more than fine as it is and it's a lot of fun.

·
Registered
955 Posts
well done Graham, for the roadtrip and your writeup. I see you did the 'pass of the cattle' ... the road from Applecross. How was the Scout for handling those hairpins, any dodgy moments?

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see you did the 'pass of the cattle' ... the road from Applecross. How was the Scout for handling those hairpins, any dodgy moments?
The Scout was perfect for that road; there were no dodgy moments, except when I stopped to take a photo, and forgot to put it in gear, and so it rolled off its side-stand and fell on my foot!
The only dodgy moments on the trip were when applying power on faster damp roads, although the bike remained controllable even then. There was also some wallowing on faster curves. But roads like the 'pass of the cattle' were no problem at all.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
doing between 232 and 316 miles a day, and spending between 5 and 6 1/2 hours in the saddle per day.
This part is most impressive, having driven all over Scotland in a car, I learned the hard way that what appears to be a short distance on the map can take all day, and into evening.

You managed to average around 50mph. The whole time I was driving in as spirited a manner as possible, but never averaged that. My family kept asking me to stop muttering "I wished I was on a bike"... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts