Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm one of those who has found the Scout 60 suspension entirely adequate. Nevertheless, I'm going to try some Bullit shocks this week, and I have progressive fork springs on order. My hope for the shocks in that they may keep the rear wheel on the ground more firmly over bumpy corners, and so improve traction, especially in the wet. We'll see!

Having made that decision, I've been paying particular attention to the stock shocks this past week. On a 100 mile journey, the ride was pretty smooth; there was just one occasion when I felt the rear 'bounce'. Then yesterday, I did just over 380 miles on a whole variety of metalled roads; in all that distance there were maybe two occasions when the rear bounced on corners, and one stretch of road that looked fine but felt like riding over corrugated metal; interestingly, when I stopped for coffee, two of my friends on sports-bikes with up-to-the minute fancy suspension said how uncomfortable their bikes felt on that road; only a friend on an adventure bike hadn't had any difficulty.

All of which makes me think that the suspension on the 60 really does seem better than on the early 69s;and that sometimes the things we think aren't so good on our bikes actually are no worse than what other people put up with on theirs.

And cars are no different; my Toyota runs like dream, but there are a few road surfaces that have the same effect on it as they do on the Scout.

So, I'm not looking to correct a fault with those Bullit shocks - just make a good ride even better.

·
Registered
955 Posts
really interested to hear how you get on with the Bullits Graham. I agree the front and rear suspension are way better than the disaster area that was described in the past. I'm happy with the front, may not be very good but there's plenty of travel and that seems to do the job for me. The rear manages quite well too, but I get bouncing a lot more often than a couple of times in a day's riding. I think I'm a bit heavier than you (> 14st /90kg) which could account for it.

I'm still thinking of Bullits or Razor III's (both K-tech), bit of a mental debate going on.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah good stuff. I think the stock suspension is really good stuff on the 60, it rides bad roads better than most other bikes I have had.
I like Graham am doing the suspension to see if I can make it better, expensive experiment thats for sure. Post up what you think of the Bullits Graham.
I have just fitted the rear Fournales, on the ride home with them which was around 180klms it was bottoming out and felt like the rear end was dragging on the ground it was so low. The guy that sells them forgot to bring the air pump when we fitted them, he measured a few things and said they shoud be right, but when I got home and checked things, it was 35mm lower that stock height, basically not enough air in them. Just got a pump off him yesterday and I am going to try and get it all right, people rave about how good these shocks are, so heres hoping.
I have Racetech 0.95 front springs and emulators all set up, going to use Redline 10wt syn oil, all ready to go in when I get some time to do it. I will record everything I do, settings, preloads, holes drilled etc, so I can pass on my settings if anyone here wants to know.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I hate the front forks, I worry about riding bad roads with that suspension. The rear, I got the preload where I want it and haven't had an issue.

·
Bronze member
1,722 Posts
The most cost effective method of improving the Scout suspension is to have the OEM shocks rebuilt and revalved by "Traxxion Dynamics" of Woodstock GA. The cost of their service is $300 plus $19 for shipping in the continental US.

I am very satisfied with my new shocks, but there is always going to be "limited travel" with any shocks for the Scouts. Nothing is going to make these ride like a GoldWing, and it was never designed to..

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The most cost effective method of improving the Scout suspension is to have the OEM shocks rebuilt and revalved by "Traxxion Dynamics" of Woodstock GA. The cost of their service is $300 plus $19 for shipping in the continental US.

I am very satisfied with my new shocks, but there is always going to be "limited travel" with any shocks for the Scouts. Nothing is going to make these ride like a GoldWing, and it was never designed to..
I do agree that we can't expect Gold Wing standards of suspension, but it's good to know you've found a cost effective way forward in the US. K-tech is based here in UK, which makes their products a bit more accessible for us.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ok then, I got hold of the Fournales pump and have had a play and rides, play and rides, and have found the shocks are absolutely amazing when setup correctly, this setting below is best so far but want to try another one at 20mm rider sag to see how that feels
At 13.5 bar I hit the holy grail of settings, at this pressure,

I had 24mm Rider sag.

And 277mm ride height. 5mm less than stock factory shock height. Pretty dam good.

(20mm rider sag gives me 282mm between bolt centres which is stock Scout setting)

On road performance at this setting was incredible, smooth at all speeds, I road on the roughest road you can get and it was amazing how it rode the bumps, nothing threw the bike off line and the more I cranked the bike over on the rough corners the smoother it seemed to get. Also the faster I went did not make the bike feel the bumps more, it just stayed smooth and planted to the road, my speed through the corners was so much quicker than I could normally go on that road, it was so much quicker it was amazing, with absolutely no feeling of bike being on its limits or unstable.
I will try with 20mm sag above, which is stock ride height, next and compare.
Now for the front.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You've probably picked this up from my new thread, but I had the Bullit shocks fitted today and rode 80 miles home. They seemed fine, but I couldn't tell the difference from the stock units in terms of ride quality. That isn't a criticism of the Bullits, but simply a confirmation that the stock 2016 Scout 60 shocks are fine - unlike reports of the shocks on the 2015 Scout 69. Most of the time the Bullits gave a nice smooth ride, just like the stock units. If I chose rough bits of road to provoke bumps I felt the bumps, just as with the stock units.

Nevertheless, it may be that the Bullits will provide better road holding, and that's really what I'm after. Very occasionally, the stock shocks have resulted in the back end skipping on rough corners, and on damp roads I've had to be very careful not to get the rear sliding. I hope the Bullits will be better in that regard; only time will tell.

I do like the look of the Bullits and without a spring they should be easier to keep clean.

On road performance at this setting was incredible, smooth at all speeds, I road on the roughest road you can get and it was amazing how it rode the bumps, nothing threw the bike off line and the more I cranked the bike over on the rough corners the smoother it seemed to get. Also the faster I went did not make the bike feel the bumps more, it just stayed smooth and planted to the road
You seem to have found something that's another step up altogether!

·
Registered
313 Posts
You've probably picked this up from my new thread, but I had the Bullit shocks fitted today and rode 80 miles home. They seemed fine, but I couldn't tell the difference from the stock units in terms of ride quality. That isn't a criticism of the Bullits, but simply a confirmation that the stock 2016 Scout 60 shocks are fine - unlike reports of the shocks on the 2015 Scout 69. Most of the time the Bullits gave a nice smooth ride, just like the stock units. If I chose rough bits of road to provoke bumps I felt the bumps, just as with the stock units.

Nevertheless, it may be that the Bullits will provide better road holding, and that's really what I'm after. Very occasionally, the stock shocks have resulted in the back end skipping on rough corners, and on damp roads I've had to be very careful not to get the rear sliding. I hope the Bullits will be better in that regard; only time will tell.

I do like the look of the Bullits and without a spring they should be easier to keep clean.

You seem to have found something that's another step up altogether!
Hey Graham UK, True, I never found much wrong with the stock rear shocks either, but the ones I have just fitted are a definite improvement on the rough roads I ride on.
Are your Bullits adjustable with air pressure? I mean can you add or remove air to adjust them? I have been playing with my shocks as the guy has loaned me the special pump, if I go half a bar pressure higher, it gets quite firm, feel every bump on road, and if I go half a bar lower, its gets a lot softer.
When I hit the sweet spot, the bike just glides over everything and you feel nothing, hard to explain. Dare I say it, Goldwing smooth. I have never ridden a Goldwing so I cannot say.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are your Bullits adjustable with air pressure? I mean can you add or remove air to adjust them? I have been playing with my shocks as the guy has loaned me the special pump, if I go half a bar pressure higher, it gets quite firm, feel every bump on road, and if I go half a bar lower, its gets a lot softer.
When I hit the sweet spot, the bike just glides over everything and you feel nothing, hard to explain. Dare I say it, Goldwing smooth. I have never ridden a Goldwing so I cannot say.
No, I could have got adjustable ones if I'd paid more, but I went for the basic version as the reports from others have been so good. You clearly have found a superior product. Nevertheless, I'm not unhappy with the Bullits, and I'll be very happy if they improve road-holding.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey Graham, In a way I wish these were non adjustable, because I am driving myself mad adjusting the dam things. I would say the Bullits and Fournales are very similar in the way they work. Yesterday when I took it for another test, I like you thought these feel the same as stock shocks, I would have to put stock shocks back on to compare them now because you adapt to new things so quickly you forget what the old one was like.

What I find with these shocks on rough roads, is when you crank the bike over through corners, any bumps you were feeling before cranking over just disappear and the corner is silky smooth, nothing seems to upset the ride through corners, I am going through corners so much quicker, as it just feels rock solid now.

I would never have bought these shocks if he didn't give me this testers price he gave me, I would have paid more to get a set of normal shocks sent from USA, so for me it was a bargain.

I have just finished doing the front end with Race tech springs and emulators etc, and I think the front of bike is even bigger improvement than back. I have recorded all steps and all measurements, and might post up a how to do it yourself post. Anyone can do this with a couple of tools and jack. I did about 3 months research on doing it right and also contacted Race tech to confirm that what I was doing is correct.
The front and rear transforms the bike to full on little racing bike.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the Progressive fork springs fitted today, together with the heavier fork oil they recommend, and I am very happy with the result.

They don't eliminate an awareness of bumps and ruts and ripples in the road, but even the very occasional jolts are no longer jarring. In fact, the bike felt different the moment I sat on it, which surprised me. I want to say it felt like a bigger bike, but that's ridiculous. Nevertheless, it seems more taught and alert and ready for anything. They also seem to work better with the Bullit shocks than the stock forks did.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Graham, where did you get your Progressive fork springs from and who did the upgrade?

at present I'm happy with the front but intend upgrading the rear. I can imagine what's coming ... as soon as the rear is done I'll be wondering if I should do the front as well!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where did you get your Progressive fork springs from and who did the upgrade?
I ordered them from J&P Cycles in the US; they arrived very promptly.

I had them fitted by Freedom Motorcycles in March, who impress me more and more; they did a great job.

As you will have gathered, I was underwhelmed by the Bullits, so I had some concern about how it would work out. I need not have worried. They have made a good bike even better. If I was starting from scratch knowing what I know now, I'd have the forks done first and then wait to see whether or not it would be worth doing the shocks as well. That said, the front may be working well because of the upgrade to the rear. I think the stock set-up may be more carefully balanced than I'd realised and so improving the rear without also improving the front may not have brought the benefit I'd hoped for.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
the front + rear suspension works as a team + no matter the quality suspension needs to be tailored four weight + riding preferences

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
As I understand it, I'll be one of the first in the US to get the NEW revised DS Scout shocks and springs. Thanks to Keith for that. I'll be reporting here the minute they're on.

In the meantime, in preparation, I'm having the Pirelli Night Dragon's installed tomorrow morning. Will report back on that as well. I split the tires from the suspension, so that I can determine which one did what?

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
As I understand it, I'll be one of the first in the US to get the NEW revised DS Scout shocks and springs. Thanks to Keith for that. I'll be reporting here the minute they're on.

In the meantime, in preparation, I'm having the Pirelli Night Dragon's installed tomorrow morning. Will report back on that as well. I split the tires from the suspension, so that I can determine which one did what?
Had the ND's on for a few weeks now. I made the right choice. Very grippy, competent in the wet... it's a different bike, it doesn't step out or tramline all over the place. Polaris should put these on the bike, like they did with early versions of the Octane...

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I've seen the ND's grip in the wet questioned, so that's what I wanted to know. Thanks for the update.
There may be better wet weather tires (at least I'm assuming), but these are predictable and not scary like the Kenda's. The grip in the dry is such that I can shift in mid-corner under the right conditions. Doing that with the Kenda's proved you had a death wish...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts