1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Rim
Footwear Shoe Tire Automotive tire Leg
Auto part
Inspired by others on the regular Scout thread, I finally got round to making and fitting a mudflap today. I made a template from paper, and used that to cut the shape from a sheet of neoprene rubber. I was amazed at how easily the front fender came off with just four bolts - much easier than the rear fender because there are no electrics attached. I used double-sided tape to stick the mudflap on, and covered the exposed edge with single-sided tape. If it doesn't hold, at least I know it will be easy to remove the fender to bolt it on; but early indications are good. The tape is so fierce it's hard to get it straight - I'm embarrassed by how bad that looks in the photos, but fitted to the bike it looks fine. You can see from the photos how much that radiator is in need of this protection. I've also bought a sheet of perforated aluminium with a view to fashioning and attaching a radiator guard, but that's for another day.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
where did you get your neoprene rubber from Graham, and how did you get it to take on the creases to match the mudguard so well?
I purchased the neoprene sheet from Amazon to cut off strips to wrap around the rack to stop the Givi mounting plate from scratching it; I used the left-over for the mud flap: Neoprene Rubber Sheet 200mm x 200mm 2mm Thick: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
I was careful to press the double-sided tape into the creases of the mudguard before removing the backing tape, and then worked the mudflap onto that little by little, starting from the middle and working outwards (I used small post-it-note strips to mark the middle of the flap and the middle of the guard). Working little by little and pressing it into the mudguard is what made it so difficult to keep it straight, but it looks fine on the bike. The neoprene rubber is very pliable and easy to work with; it naturally took the shape of the mudguard. I had 2" double-sided tape, so 2" of the flap is inside the mudguard, with 2½" protruding as the mudflap itself; as a result, a lot of the flap is pressed to the shape of the mudguard, so the protruding part holds its shape well.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

I fitted the rad guard soon after fitting the mud-flap. I've since done about 1,000 miles and, as you can see after a 160 mile run on messy roads yesterday, although there is still some spray reaching the plastic surround, the rad guard is staying clean and no stones are getting lodged at all. Before fitting the mud-flap there were stones getting lodged between the plastic horizontal bars and the radiator every few miles and damaging the radiator. So, although I plan to keep the rad guard on to protect against any stray stones, even just having the mud-flap seems to be all that's really needed most of the time.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Good job Graham, I did this as well when I first got the bike, it is essential to save the radiator, it cops the rocks so bad.
Hope you dont mind if I post a link to what I did in this area Graham, just to give other people an idea of what we are doing.
What I did,
Bike and some simple mods Photos..

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good job Graham, I did this as well when I first got the bike, it is essential to save the radiator, it cops the rocks so bad.
Hope you dont mind if I post a link to what I did in this area Graham, just to give other people an idea of what we are doing.
What I did,
Bike and some simple mods Photos..
I'm glad you posted the link. The more examples people see the more they can work out what they want to do themselves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.