Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Cruiser Car
I'm sure this won't be to everyone's taste, but I like to be able to use a top-box/tour-pak when touring, and I quite like the look of my old Givi E450N on the Scout; although I wish I could get Indian decals for it - the Moto Guzzi ones seem a little out of place now!

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Graham, what can I say? It ain't ringing any bells for me Buddy. I have the same rack as you and an looking for luggage. There is some German luggage on a thread somewhere that from memory is two tone light and dark desert tan. Help me out here @Lekic. Do you know the brand? I understand you want the space, just like I do, but for me a hard box like that, I feel kills the look of the bike. Like you said it's won't be to everyone's taste.
Alpal

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That soft luggage does look nice. The problem for me is that I wouldn't want to leave soft luggage on a bike at a UK service station or café; it would be asking for trouble - although I realise others do. I love the practicality of the Givi box, and it's easily removable, leaving only the mounting plate on the rack, so I can restore the 'cool image' when I'm not touring or shopping!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nothing wrong with a hard box, but I feel the Givi is the wrong shape for the Scout. Still, at least I'll know you when I see you on the road.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like that works well for you. What rack is that.....??....
That's the standard Indian rack, with the Givi universal mounting plate; if anyone follows my example please take care to put the bolts of the mounting plate in upside down, so they do not scratch the fender - thankfully, I spotted the potential problem before it became a problem!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it looks ok. Gives it a utilitarian vibe. I'll be glad when there are more hard luggage choices for the Scout.
Thanks. I do like having something I can easily throw my helmet gloves and gps in at coffee stops, rather than trying to find a safe place for them in a crowded café.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Thanks. I do like having something I can easily throw my helmet gloves and gps in at coffee stops, rather than trying to find a safe place for them in a crowded café.
For this purpose can totally understand, but don't think would be a good idea to load it up with heavy tools mounted that high up ..

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That hard box belongs on the back of a Piaggio scooter. :( The beloved Scout has turned into a Nerd-cycle. :(
I can see where you're coming from, but our perception may depend on how we have seen things used in the past. This box was designed for sports-touring bikes, and I've found it a useful and attractive accessory on my previous bikes - which doesn't mean it suits the Scout! Although I think I like it. (Please excuse the poor photo of the Cali):
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Cruiser Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Attachments

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What do you call that thing at the top of your windshield?
That's the MRA X-creen; it's a spoiler that adds a bit of height to the screen and breaks up the airflow, reducing turbulence. They produce two sizes. I first used one on my first Cali, which worked brilliantly; I then used the smaller version on my Breva, which worked well enough. That's the one I'm trying out on the Scout. It really does help, although it doesn't eliminate the slight front end wiggle caused by the standard mid-screen. Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle accessories Mountain range

·
Registered
955 Posts
I used a Givi Trekker topbox on my Shadow, which I think goes with a cruiser slightly better. I would never criticise a topbox though, they're just so useful ... and enable you to ride more! This bike has an MRA screen with deflector too.

PS. I like Graham's setup with the topbox in the pillion position, this one sits behind the pillion.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I used a Givi Trekker topbox on my Shadow, which I think goes with a cruiser slightly better. I would never criticise a topbox though, they're just so useful ... and enable you to ride more! This bike has an MRA screen with deflector too.

PS. I like Graham's setup with the topbox in the pillion position, this one sits behind the pillion.
Thank you; and that top box looks really good with the Shadow.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts