Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, I've been mostly on air cooled bikes the past 20 + years, so it may be me needing to get used to the heat generated from that great engine. Seems hot enough to melt my saddlebags:cool:.
So, is this normal?

Registered
Where in this holy world did you mount your saddle bags? 馃ジ馃槵馃槆馃槑

Registered
2019 Scout Sixty ABS
Also, I was under the impression that air cooled motors put off more heat to the rider than liquid cooled motors...is this not the case??

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I was under the impression that air cooled motors put off more heat to the rider than liquid cooled motors...is this not the case??
I've been on pretty much Moto Guzzis for the past 20 years. never noticed heat in any weather. Aslo had BMW RT, NC 700, and others. My '84 Goldwing was the only other bike that I noticed excessive heat. Mind you, it's not a deal breaker for me but it is a bit of a surprise.

Registered
I鈥檓 riding a 2010 air-cooled Bonnie and my 2016 water cooled S60 - don鈥檛 really think there is much of a difference considering heat. Well, always wearing long riding pants 鈥.. maybe that makes a difference鈥..? 馃槵

Bronze member
Never owned a water cooled bike and always wondered about the air coming off the radiator across a hot engine before hitting you.
Or a chance of a hose rupturing and spraying you with hot antifreeze.
Can Anything like that happen?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I鈥檓 riding a 2010 air-cooled Bonnie and my 2016 water cooled S60 - don鈥檛 really think there is much of a difference considering heat. Well, always wearing long riding pants 鈥.. maybe that makes a difference鈥..? 馃槵
I'm a ATGATT kinda guy. The heat is not an issue riding, but man, stopped / parked it is impressive!

Registered
2019 Scout Sixty ABS
Never owned a water cooled bike and always wondered about the air coming off the radiator across a hot engine before hitting you.
Or a chance of a hose rupturing and spraying you with hot antifreeze.
Can Anything like that happen?
I think manufacturers design coolant systems with rider safety in mind. If a hose bursts (rare unless bike is SUPER old), then it's probably not going to spray the rider.

Bronze member
so, I've been mostly on air cooled bikes the past 20 + years, so it may be me needing to get used to the heat generated from that great engine. Seems hot enough to melt my saddlebags:cool:.
So, is this normal?
The bottom of the right bag gets warm, don鈥檛 put your ice cream in there. But I鈥檝e ridden hundreds of miles in a day and it鈥檚 fine.

Bronze member
I'm sure that most have never been scalded by hot engine coolant, but I've had it happen on a GoldWing.
It's no fun!

Bronze member
The OEM hose clamp failed suddenly and the hose came off.

Was told by several techs that hoses and clamps need to be inspected and replaced at certain intervals.
We take it for granted that liquid cooled engines last, but even the US automakers have cooling system service intervals. All my cars and trucks (at 100K) receive new thermostats and hoses as well as fresh coolant.
Old coolant becomes corrosive and can cause head gasket failures among other things.

Registered
2020 Scout Bobber
I'm a ATGATT kinda guy. The heat is not an issue riding, but man, stopped / parked it is impressive!
It's the same for me on my Scout Bobber. Hottest bike I've ever own. Super toasty with jeans at the stoplight.

Registered
I had a Honda Shadow and I never felt the heat off of that as compared to my Sixty. I thought about taking it back to the dealer to make sure that was normal, until I checked the forums.

Registered
Heat is normal. I have the same saddle bags as you though, and haven't had heat issues in them. The heat I am talking about is around the engine and into your thighs, at stop lights. A little uncomfortable sometimes (at long stop lights) but within reason. I actually don't notice it too much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts