Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I was excited to see the Scout 60 as a product and it looks good. I was also pleased to see the price drop on the Scout 60 in the USA, as it a $2000 price drop which makes a difference and it would here to. $8999 USD equates to just under $12,500 AUD. Add a bit for shipping makes the bike a good price? Or does it?

What the good folk at Indian/Polaris here in Oz have done is raise the price on the 1133cc Scout from $17,995 ride away to $19,995 ride away and make the Scout 60 $17,995 ride away.

Come on Indian/Polaris. Yes I know we are a little further away but that sucks.

I thought you might have been serious about making the Scout 60 a competitor for the Harley 883 or the Yamaha Bolt here in Oz but the Harley sells for under $15,000 ride away and the Bolt Rspec for $13,500 ride away. Yes I know it is not a big market but you would have got a lot more sales by having the Scout 60 priced under $15,000. You will make heaps on the extras the same as Harley does you just need to get the basic bike out there at the right price.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Hi All.

I was excited to see the Scout 60 as a product and it looks good. I was also pleased to see the price drop on the Scout 60 in the USA, as it a $2000 price drop which makes a difference and it would here to. $8999 USD equates to just under $12,500 AUD. Add a bit for shipping makes the bike a good price? Or does it?

What the good folk at Indian/Polaris here in Oz have done is raise the price on the 1133cc Scout from $17,995 ride away to $19,995 ride away and make the Scout 60 $17,995 ride away.

I thought you might have been serious about making the Scout 60 a competitor for the Harley 883 or the Yamaha Bolt here in Oz but the Harley sells for under $15,000 ride away and the Bolt Rspec for $13,500 ride away. Yes I know it is not a big market but you would have got a lot more sales by having the Scout 60 priced under $15,000. You will make heaps on the extras the same as Harley does you just need to get the basic bike out there at the right price.

Something is not right here. Is the rest of the world paying for the good price of Sixty's in the US? Pretty much smacks of that to me. And that is wrong.
Alpal

·
Registered
765 Posts
If they don't sell the price will adjust. Better yet, wait a yr or so and pick one up used for an even better deal.

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
Yeah, it seems like Indian isn't showing much pricing love to its fans down under. I agree that the 60 should be cheaper. I never really understood how different exchange rates worked that seemed to be totally independent of the relative buying power of either currency and fluxuate based on who only knows what.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I imported 6 brand new Gold Wings from USA to Australia back in the 90's... Saved about $5000 a bike. I sold them all at cost to mates,,,

I didn't try it with Indian because I wanted the warranty, which you don't get on personal imports.

But, now that the Chiefs and Scouts appear to be holding up well mechanically, might be worth revisiting the import option.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I work for a company which works to reduce the unemployment compensation tax rate which the employer pays. We have an ongoing "claim of the day" contest.

Down the sandbar from us in Merryland, there's a modular home manufacturer. Almost quitting time one windy day, Pete hustled up to his foreman all breathless, saying: "Boss! You gotta come see this!" Out to the parking lot they go, Pete leads the foreman to Billy Bob's pickup truck. In the back, under the corner of a tarp which the wind lifted is a counter top just like they install in their modular homes. In the passenger side seat is a clipboard with a checklist -- they snatch it up -- all the pieces that go into one modular home -- this, that, and the other thing checked off going down the list. Foreman goes to confront Billy Bob. By now a couple other guys are tagging along to see the show. Billy Bob, when cornered, denies everything. So they all pile into the Foreman's pickup truck, Pete, Walt, Eddie... and away they go to Billy Bob's rented farmhouse, bringing the checklist with them. There in the back yard they discover a big pile of parts under a blue tarp... all corresponding to bits checked off on the list. True story. Billy Bob was stealing a house. One part at a time.

So they fired him. Now, here's the part of the story which proves that's it's true:

Form comes from the state. Why'd Billy lose his job? Theft, they mark down. Benefits denied. Billy Bob appeals, denying everything. Foreman, Pete, Eddie, Walt all attend the appeal hearing to bear witness.

"Why'd you fire Billy Bob?"
"He stole."
... insert whole story here
"Did you have a conviction in a court of law at the time of discharge?"
"What? By that time he'd have stole the rest of the house!"

Billy Bob collected.

I forgot to add this bit:

In Merryland, if the modular home factory had fired BB for "unauthorized use or removal of company property", they would have been fine. But to can a thief for stealing, you first need a conviction. This sort of thing occurs because, with government, form always supercedes function. Hence, businesses like ours.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hi All.

Australian pricing is on par with European pricing. No reason to be paranoid in Australia, well at least about Indian pricing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Australian pricing is on par with European pricing. No reason to be paranoid in Australia, well at least about Indian pricing.
European pricing or paranoid has nothing to do with the fact a month before the sixty is announced to the public polaris Aus up the price of the original scout by 2000 and price the sixty at the scout price. All about profit nothing else, but then it might backfire as the sixty is now priced higher than any sportster you can buy here. As i told the dealer today when i got a call no thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
Speaking about "European pricing" (which actually doesn't exist at all), here the 2016 prices haven't yet been announced, but 2015 Scout has a price 17.900 €.

Sporster prices for 2016 are from 12.760€ to 16.650€

·
Registered
701 Posts
European pricing or paranoid has nothing to do with the fact a month before the sixty is announced to the public polaris Aus up the price of the original scout by 2000 and price the sixty at the scout price. All about profit nothing else, but then it might backfire as the sixty is now priced higher than any sportster you can buy here. As i told the dealer today when i got a call no thanks
Yep, you are right it is all about profit. Businesses, for some reason, like to make a profit. I, for one, hope that Indian Motorcycle makes a profit for a long time to come; because if they don't they won't be around. As far as pricing against the Sportster, the Scout 60 is a better bike. Against the Star Bolt it is also a better machine. Sometimes a buyer has to decide on quality level he is willing to buy. Go price a locally produced car vs a comparable M-B or BMW. One is cheaper the other has a higher quality level. Guess which costs more?

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Yep, you are right it is all about profit. Businesses, for some reason, like to make a profit. I, for one, hope that Indian Motorcycle makes a profit for a long time to come; because if they don't they won't be around. As far as pricing against the Sportste, the Scout 60 is a better bike. Against the Star Bolt it is also a better machine. Sometimes a buyer has to decide on quality level he is willing to buy. Go price a locally produced car vs a comparable M-B or BMW. One is cheaper the other has a higher quality level. Guess which costs more?
Sorry Hey Yu we will have to agree to disagree on this one. NZ scout price $19995. Then out comes the Scout Sixty at 2 G's less in the States but then NZ prices for the standard scout go up to 21Gs and the Sixty starts at five dollars under 20Gs. The original price for the standard Scout!. That's price gouging in anyone's book and smacks of the rest of the world paying for the US to get cheaper bikes at our expense.
Alpal

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry Hey Yu we will have to agree to disagree on this one. NZ scout price $19995. Then out comes the Scout Sixty at 2 G's less in the States but then NZ prices for the standard scout go up to 21Gs and the Sixty starts at five dollars under 20Gs. The original price for the standard Scout!. That's price gouging in anyone's book and smacks of the rest of the world paying for the US to get cheaper bikes at our expense.
Alpal
I'm with you Alpal.
After all the different points made about the Scout 60.

I don't understand why the price rise in Australia on the 1133cc Scout and then bring in a Scout 60 at the same price as the old 1133. Didn't happen in the USA. The dollar isn't going that bad.
The bike sold in Australia, New Zealand, and Europe is just the Scout with ABS and probably the same emission controls as those in California so it's not a special production for each country. So not really to much extra to make. Anyway if they were smart all would have ABS. One production is cheaper than 2.
Is it really that much a better product than the Harley 883 or the Star Bolt as far as quality of product goes? Have you been reading about some of the issues on and after release. This part gets down to choice and cash availability on what you want.

After reading the US articles on the Scout 60, that were saying it was now a serious competitor for the Harley Sportster price wise, I was hoping Indian would flow this through to Australia.

I'm just grumpy. Funds are short, could push to $15K but not $18K especially when the bike is designed to modify. Yes you can ride it standard but look at all the great bling for it already. Exhaust for starters as the standard end caps are terrible imo.

Anyway can always hope for a change but unless something strange happens or I win the lottery no Scout for now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Speaking about "European pricing" (which actually doesn't exist at all), here the 2016 prices haven't yet been announced, but 2015 Scout has a price 17.900 €.

Sporster prices for 2016 are from 12.760€ to 16.650€
In Austria the Prices also higher than in Germany. Might be a good idea to Buy it in a different European country, and do a euro-import...

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi All,

Went past the Indian/Victory shop here in Melbourne tonight, just because I like to cause myself pain looking at what I can't afford and to see if they had a Scout 60 to see.

No Scout 60 and all the 1133cc Scouts had sold stickers on them,but did notice Victory had the 2015 Gunner and 2014 Boardwalk for $19,995 ride away which is basically the same price as the 1133cc Scout.

Dam! Who is pricing these things. Doesn't matter still can't afford one but I thought it was an interesting comparison.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Its basic economics that drives the price, you know the old supply vs demand thing. As long as they sell these things like hotcakes the prices will remain high and again why not ask an extra 2 grand if you can still sell them like hotcakes. I live in Brisbane, Australia and have been on the waiting list, with the only dealer in Queensland for 12 month !!!!!
He has called me in those 12 month 3 or 4 times to get ready for the test ride, only to call it off a few days before the ride because he sold it....every time !
The prices will come down and dealer will start doing deals when they have them sitting in the showrooms with no buyers ....could be a while by the look of it :(

·
Registered
234 Posts
I thought Scouts were available within 4 weeks now. I think only red colour (most popular) have longer wait time... but certainly not 12 months.
sorry I should have specified that I was looking to test ride the Roadmaster...

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
Alpal
Yeah but do you know who is doing the gouging?

my damn cell phone

1 - 20 of 36 Posts