Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Forum and new to owning an Indian motorcycle. 3 days ago I purchased and 2016 Indian 60. The bike is in great condition and has 6500 miles...tires have at least 75% tread left. The day I test drove it was extremely windy in upstate New York. As I was driving it I noticed it had a hard time staying in a straight line as if it was very windy which it was so I figured that was why. After getting it home I took it for a ride the next day on a secondary Highway with slight wind and same thing bike would not maintain a straight line and cornering felt a little squirrelly. So, I parked it at the office and drove my other bike, a 1989 Honda Transalp on the same road to see how it handled, and it had no problem. So the slight wind wasn't a factor but it felt like the bike was in a windstorm. At slower speeds like in town not as noticeable but at speeds 40 and above and worse the faster you go the bike has a tendency to weave left and right like the wind was blowing it around and I have to constantly correct for it. It has Shinko white wall tires which I made sure were inflated to 36 lb front and 40 lb rear and drove it again and the same thing. I have been riding Adventure bikes most of my life and I am now 62 years old and have owned over 30 motorcycles in the last 48 years and have never experienced this feeling on a bike before unless the front tire air pressure was low. This is the first Cruiser I've ever owned and really like the riding position and the bike. Any suggestions would be great, hopefully I didn't buy a lemon. It doesn't pull to one side it weaves back and forth...I checked and the front axle is tight, tire is not worn or cupped.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,425 Posts
Tires and wheel alignment come to mind. You say the front tire looks fine and how is the rear tire? Now if the rear wheel is crooked it will pull to one direction but on a belt driven bike it can't be off by that much without damage to the drive belt. That leaves the front fork. Is the front fire pointing straight ahead while the handlebars are straight ahead? If not the forks might need to be straightened and worst case scenario replaced if bent or twisted. Wheel balance could also be a contributing factor. Just throwing out some ideas here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, rear tire looks good also, front end seems tom be plumb and true also. I don't know much about these bikes yet but I did notice that the belt is all the way to the left on the pulley.
Do you know if these bikes are supposed to run radials or bias ply.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Bias ply on the tires. Which direction does the bike pull? What brand of tires do you have on the bike? If they are the stock Kenda's, junk the tire no matter how many miles, they will follow cracks and grooves in the pavement. Had a 2017 Scout 60 that once I put Michelin Commander 2's on it, I never had any tracking or traction issues.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Extreme wind does push light motorcycles around. Factory tires, as mention, are not the best.
Lots of good tires out there from Michelin Commander III to Dunlop Elite 4's. Good luck

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
A couple of things. Did you purchase from a dealer or individual? If a dealer, take it back to them and discuss the issues you are having. Some may want to keep you as a customer and work with you on diagnosis and correction. If it's an individual, you may be on your own but bad/old/miss-aligned tires would be my first check (cupping, wear on one side more than the other, etc.). Hopefully this is not a repaired wreck. Good luck.

Reactions: TerryJ

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Stupid question----did you check air pressure? Low pressure will cause that.
He stated in his first post that he's checked air pressure and posted the pressure amount in each tire

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't know what the scout has exactly, but there should be notches on side of the swing arm where the axel runs through and a singular dash on the axel that lines up with a notch. Each side should be identical so the wheel is in alignment. Also, if those are not the original tires, which if you said they're white walls then they may not be, perhaps whomever put the tire back on messed up the spacers which is why your belt all the way to the side of the pully.

·
Registered
68 Posts
A couple more to check: Check the steering head bearings, too tight and the bike will wander continuously just as though it's in a wind. Possible rear swing arm play, especially noticeable if cornering on bumpy road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for your responses, Bike was bought from a dealer(not Indian Dealer) about two It was a trade-in. Just checked the tires and they are Shinko SR777F H.D. 130/90B16 front and 150/80B16 rear...no cupping , hardly any wear....air pressure is 36 front, 40 rear. Steering head moves freely and has no slop. Handlebars look aligned with front tire. Somewhere I read that the rear axle and adjusting screws are all machined and the marks for the belt are stamped on the swing arm which may or may not be accurate. I can't see the marks unless I remove the bags and pipes. I did however, measure how much of the adjusting screw is out and showing and from side to side there is 6mm = 1/4 inch difference. Hopefully, I can work on it this weekend and that adjustment fixes it....Could be the tires suck also...not familiar with these for cruisers. They are a descent tire brand for Adventure Bikes.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Not sure if measuring the adjusting screw would be a proper indication (although i don't know why they would be different lengths) but if so, I feel like 1/4 inch off on what would probably be 1 inches worth of total adjustment (+/- half inch fore and aft of the axel) is way off.

·
Rider
872 Posts
1/4" is pretty far out of alignment, no wonder it won't track straight

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Rider
879 Posts
I don't trust any of those alignment methods..
Raise rear of bike, standing flat/level, rotate tire in "drive" direction.. Belt running to one side or the other indicates Mis-aligned.. Work slowly and carefully, the alignment can be adjusted such that the Belt tracks basically in middle of rear pulley..
Note.. Tracking right side.. tighten right side.. tracking left side, tighten left side... of course loosen opposite side has same effect... Be Mindful of Belt tension.. once tension is at Spec, and Belt is Centered in rear Pulley... you cannot get much Better...
Been doing this way since my First Belt Drive Bike... a 1984 Harley... and every one since..
Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK , so I did all that today ...bought a bike jack from Harbor Freight. Followed the instructions per Indian specs. Tried to align the belt in the middle. When I spin the wheel backwards the belt tracks to the right side of pulley and stays there, when I spin the wheel forward it tracks to the left of pulley and stays there. So no matter how precise I try to be it it won't stay center. This is with the axle bolt torqued to 15 lbs. I popped the front cover off to see if the front pulley was loose and that is nice and snug. Took the bike for a ride and same thing. I noticed the faster I go the faster it moves back and forth (left and right). It doesn't vibrate it just goes back and forth like the tire was caught in grooves...that's any road I've been on. I don't notice it as much a slower speeds. I'm very frustrated ...the nearest dealer is close to three hours away and it the wrong time of year to be dealing with this. What else could it be. It doesn't have signs of being in an accident..... Checked on the tires and they get rated highly, pressure is holding. The front forks are even in the clamps. The rear wheel bearing don't appear to be sloppy. The bike only has 6500 miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have a service manual yet, PinkRosePedal suggested the steering head may be too tight, does anyone know the torque spec for that...2016 Scout 60

·
Registered
222 Posts
A couple of things. Did you purchase from a dealer or individual? If a dealer, take it back to them and discuss the issues you are having. Some may want to keep you as a customer and work with you on diagnosis and correction. If it's an individual, you may be on your own but bad/old/miss-aligned tires would be my first check (cupping, wear on one side more than the other, etc.). Hopefully this is not a repaired wreck. Good luck.
That was my thought....repaired wreck and bent frame or fork

·
Rider
879 Posts
OK , so I did all that today ...bought a bike jack from Harbor Freight. Followed the instructions per Indian specs. Tried to align the belt in the middle. When I spin the wheel backwards the belt tracks to the right side of pulley and stays there, when I spin the wheel forward it tracks to the left of pulley and stays there. So no matter how precise I try to be it it won't stay center. This is with the axle bolt torqued to 15 lbs. I popped the front cover off to see if the front pulley was loose and that is nice and snug. Took the bike for a ride and same thing. I noticed the faster I go the faster it moves back and forth (left and right). It doesn't vibrate it just goes back and forth like the tire was caught in grooves...that's any road I've been on. I don't notice it as much a slower speeds. I'm very frustrated ...the nearest dealer is close to three hours away and it the wrong time of year to be dealing with this. What else could it be. It doesn't have signs of being in an accident..... Checked on the tires and they get rated highly, pressure is holding. The front forks are even in the clamps. The rear wheel bearing don't appear to be sloppy. The bike only has 6500 miles
Changing Directions can change results, since I rarely ride my Bike Backwards, I only check Forward direction... If Concerned... instead of "driving" with rear Wheel.. I have found various methods to "drive" with front Sprocket.. I think you will find that if nothing is Bent or Akilter, it will track the same..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll try lining up/ centering the front pulley with the wheel turning forward next. I'll call our local shop and see if they can tell if anything is bent. I was thing about putting it back on the lift and starting it and running it through the gears to see if the rear has wobble to it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts