Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fell in love with the Scout when they unveiled it. I have read everything on it, read all the specs. My only concern is if its capable of 2 up.

Right now I riding a 2003 Suzuki Volusia VL800. I have no problem riding 2 up on this bike. I don't ride the highway just the streets and I average 55 or 60 mph.

The Scout weighs 20 pounds more then my Suzuki and 3 inches shorter in wheelbase then my bike.

So tell me what you guys think.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
They will have a p-pad available for the Scout as well as passenger pegs, so it will be possible for sure. I imagine that it would be similar as far as comfort to riding 2-up on a Sporty. Read: Not exactly lux, but still doable.

I would consider putting a sissy bar on the bike if you are going to ride often with a passenger just to give them a feeling of security.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the website the sissy bar sells for 149.00 but the passenger seat isn't there anymore. If I remember right it was 299.00 for the seat.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I preordered with the pillion pad and pegs for the wife (she saw the bike and said, "you need to buy one", I love my wife!). The sissy bar with all the hardware to attach is $650! Ouch! So, not right now... But watch out with the Indian Website. The prices change as often as I change my underwear! In fact, when I ordered my bike, I reserved with the saddlebags. The order never made it to Indian with the bags. At the time they were listed at $299 (as I recall but easily under $500). When I got the confirmation back from Indian, no bags on the order. When I spoke to the dealership, they were still trying to verify prices and eventually told me it would cost me almost $1,200 (GULP!) What?! Seriously?! I made a formal complaint to Polaris and got a very canned response that didn't address the issue at all. A day or so later I was asked to fill out a survey on Polaris Customer Support. Um... Let's just say that somebody didn't get a very good rating (not the dealer, they are cool). Just Polaris. Not that it's gonna matter at all. Saddlebags for $1,200??? Seems just wrong to me. Just wrong. :(

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
I preordered with the pillion pad and pegs for the wife (she saw the bike and said, "you need to buy one", I love my wife!). The sissy bar with all the hardware to attach is $650! Ouch! So, not right now... But watch out with the Indian Website. The prices change as often as I change my underwear! In fact, when I ordered my bike, I reserved with the saddlebags. The order never made it to Indian with the bags. At the time they were listed at $299 (as I recall but easily under $500). When I got the confirmation back from Indian, no bags on the order. When I spoke to the dealership, they were still trying to verify prices and eventually told me it would cost me almost $1,200 (GULP!) What?! Seriously?! I made a formal complaint to Polaris and got a very canned response that didn't address the issue at all. A day or so later I was asked to fill out a survey on Polaris Customer Support. Um... Let's just say that somebody didn't get a very good rating (not the dealer, they are cool). Just Polaris. Not that it's gonna matter at all. Saddlebags for $1,200??? Seems just wrong to me. Just wrong. :(
One can hope that Corbin will make up some hard beetle bags to fit the Scout. $1,200 for saddle bags is a joke. If not the hard bags from Corbin then the aftermarket will have cheaper leather bags available at some point.

·
Registered
558 Posts
aln.brown,
My confirmation has the saddle bags listed at $999.......Maybe that's before installation
They charge you another $129 or $149 for the mounts you need to add... :(

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm thinkin' if I put saddle bags on the bike, I'm going to go ugly and build an aluminum framed rack for it and my OWN saddlebags - Skip the girlfriend, she can walk or buy her own bike.
btw.. psssst .... are you listening??? (opens overcoat) they sell the conchos for the Chiefs. Saddle shop could build you some bags - Don't tell anyone I told ya. (closes overcoat)
Actually though, lets consider weight: 558lbs wet - I weigh 220 - that's 778lbs GVWR is 988 - that's only 110lbs additional weight allowance. - for safe measure - 75lbs payload is probably
the max - think living single and grocery bag or if topmount a large removeable crate with lid. 1x boards? like a milk crate or two. Either that or it's a survivalist bike - HAM Radio, Rifle holster
Army surplus field shovel, Radio Equipment... and magic extended survival tackle, and 30 cal ammo boxes. - This is war, son, forget spare clothes, it doesn't matter how good you look when you die.
Carry on.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm thinkin' if I put saddle bags on the bike, I'm going to go ugly and build an aluminum framed rack for it and my OWN saddlebags - Skip the girlfriend, she can walk or buy her own bike.
Awe, I can't not take my wife with me when she wants to go. She was the one that looked at the picture the day after it was introduced and said "That is really nice, you need to order that bike..." If it turns out it doesn't work well as a two up, I'll pay it off and buy a used Chieftain (if anybody ever sells) or a Victory XCT / Vision. :cool:

Reactions: Sonny67

·
Registered
468 Posts
Awe, I can't not take my wife with me when she wants to go. She was the one that looked at the picture the day after it was introduced and said "That is really nice, you need to order that bike..." If it turns out it doesn't work well as a two up, I'll pay it off and buy a used Chieftain (if anybody ever sells) or a Victory XCT / Vision. :cool:
I'd say keep it tribal and go Indian.

It's 11:33am

·
Registered
334 Posts
Maintenance
Rear Shock Preload (Ride Height) Inspection

Periodically measure rear shock preload. Have an assistanthelp with this procedure.
For the most comfortable ride and proper ground clearance,adjust preload if ride height is out of specification.

1. Verify that tire pressure is at specification. See page 81.
  2. Load the motorcycle with all intended cargo. Wearingyour riding gear, bring the motorcycle to the uprightposition and sit on the operator's seat. If you plan tocarry a passenger, have the passenger (with ridinggear) sit on the passenger seat.
WARNING! Do not carry a passenger unless the motorcycle isequipped with passenger seat and passenger footrests.

1. Measure shock preload from upper mount bolt center tolower mount bolt center (eye-to-eye). Perform thismeasurement on both shocks.
  2. Ride height should be 282 mm on both shocks. If themeasurement differs, adjust the preload. See page 69.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Did just fine with Sportsters riding 2 up and even long haul when was the only Bike I owned in years past .. Maybe not the most comfortable option to do so but enjoyed my time doing it .. Am sure the Scout is doable as well ..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I fell in love with the Scout when they unveiled it. I have read everything on it, read all the specs. My only concern is if its capable of 2 up.

Right now I riding a 2003 Suzuki Volusia VL800. I have no problem riding 2 up on this bike. I don't ride the highway just the streets and I average 55 or 60 mph.

The Scout weighs 20 pounds more then my Suzuki and 3 inches shorter in wheelbase then my bike.

So tell me what you guys think.
2015_Indian_Scout_Web-3.jpg
Dude, they have us covered on this!!!

Reactions: DTyndale

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Man. That really looks nice. I just hope the passenger seat is comfy. The one on my Volusia sucks. The pilion is only 8 in wide. Really? I haven't met a woman with a 8in butt yet unless she's on crack.

·
Founding Member
679 Posts
My wife and I came off a Suzuki C50T (same as Volusia) to a Chief Vintage. A few weeks later I got my first look at a Scout. Wow, that bike is very nice and VERY small. Your Volusia actually has a longer wheelbase than a Road King, and out weighs the Scout by almost 100lbs.(Specs on our Suzuki. a 2008 C50T, said it weighed 656lbs with shield, bags, and backrest)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Remember riding your favorite girl on the handlebars of your Schwinn, baseball cards clothes pinned to the fork and clacking in the spokes, The two of you heading off for a malted at the Woolworths. Ok so your both a little older and now the clacking is in your knees but, the Scout is just as willing as that old Schwinn and the exhaust note even prettier. So go ahead throw your leg over and know her butt fits the pillion better than it ever fit those handle bars. Fear not! Go ahead treat the two of you to a burger and beer and know life is good, really good two up on a Scout.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Remember riding your favorite girl on the handlebars of your Schwinn, baseball cards clothes pinned to the fork and clacking in the spokes, The two of you heading off for a malted at the Woolworths. Ok so your both a little older and now the clacking is in your knees but, the Scout is just as willing as that old Schwinn and the exhaust note even prettier. So go ahead throw your leg over and know her butt fits the pylon better than it ever fit those handle bars. Fear not! Go ahead treat the two of you to a burger and beer and know life is good, really good two up on a Scout.
pylon! I hope not! Pillion would be more comfortable than a pylon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WOW!!! Woolworths. The old 5 and Dime store. I haven't heard that name in a very long time. Talk about bringing back memories. Always went there for the banana slip.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts