Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Silver member
3,141 Posts
Well, the statement below is somewhat telling :rolleyes:

Polaris has continued to pursue an exemption from the U.S. government on China tariffs and Wine said he remains hopeful that will still happen.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the statement below is somewhat telling :rolleyes:

Polaris has continued to pursue an exemption from the U.S. government on China tariffs and Wine said he remains hopeful that will still happen.
Sounds like Scott is a little pissed !

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Founding member
875 Posts
Sometimes we must weather a storm to reach clearer waters. I support the extreme corrective measures being taken to get back to fair trade practices. Tarrifs and fiscal suffering is a much better alternative to war and lose of life.

·
Bronze member
1,493 Posts
Trade wars and tariffs is never a winning situation. Just forces domestic costs up in the end. For companies like PII, their bottom line is highly dependent on supplier cost and dicking with this just puts the entire organizations profits and job security at risk

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Trade wars and tariffs is never a winning situation. Just forces domestic costs up in the end. For companies like PII, their bottom line is highly dependent on supplier cost and dicking with this just puts the entire organizations profits and job security at risk

Isn't the idea behind tariffs to make it more expensive to purchase products from foreign countries so people manufacture items here and keep money in this country? Sounds like that is what's happening.

·
Bronze member
1,493 Posts
I personally buy American whenever possible...but there are limits. Here is a good example:

Restricted trade reduces competition, thus increasing prices as supply is reduced or eliminated.

What will happen if the North American Trade Agreement were scraped and trade between the U.S. and Mexico curtailed? Production of automotive parts and accessories would be brought home. But the reasons (efficiencies) for outsourcing the production would be lost. Price would be higher and it would take time to build the production facilities so the production jobs would be at minimum temporarily lost. Higher prices would shrink demand. That is the simple law of supply and demand. Higher prices, even if consumers demand more, will reduce demand consumers can actually afford. Their pocketbook will run dry before the same number of items is purchases. Therefore, fewer jobs are neded.

Worse, Mexico will now have fewer jobs and fewer resources to buy goods and services from the U.S. Even with a trade imbalance, the country with the surplus will suffer job losses and economic decline!The market for all parties involved is smaller since they are limited to their local market which is smaller than the world market.

·
Bronze member
2,847 Posts
Isn't the idea behind tariffs to make it more expensive to purchase products from foreign countries so people manufacture items here and keep money in this country? Sounds like that is what's happening.[/QUOTE

Not happening at all and wont.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
I’m pretty sure Indian doesn’t see China as a expanding market as of yet... why would he care about China?

·
Silver member
3,431 Posts
Isn't the idea behind tariffs to make it more expensive to purchase products from foreign countries so people manufacture items here and keep money in this country? Sounds like that is what's happening.
Yes thats the way I understand it; however if a company has to import - say - steel from a foreign company to manufacture their product. They now pay a tariff on the steel to import it. Which in turn forces them to raise their prices per unit to offset the tariff cost. Which ultimately threatens sales in both domestic and exporting markets.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Yes thats the way I understand it; however if a company has to import - say - steel from a foreign company to manufacture their product. They now pay a tariff on the steel to import it. Which in turn forces them to raise their prices per unit to offset the tariff cost. Which ultimately threatens sales in both domestic and exporting markets.
America makes steel also.

·
Silver member
3,431 Posts
America makes steel also.
Sure but I highly doubt the US can produce enough supply of steel for the demand; especially when considering every type of manufacture in the US who requires steel; such as the auto industries, construction industries, just to name a couple that have high demands and guarantee even those industries are importing steel to meet their demand.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Sure but I highly doubt the US can produce enough supply of steel for the demand; especially when considering every type of manufacture in the US who requires steel; such as the auto industries, construction industries, just to name a couple that have high demands and guarantee even those industries are importing steel to meet their demand.
Companies import steel because it is cheaper, we have the capacity in the US to manufacture more steel. Our prices are so high that it is cheaper to export, from iron ore mines in Minnesota through the great lakes around the US through the Suez canal to China than make it here. Go figure that out, we are pricing ourselves out of the market due to cheap labor from foreign countries. We need to raise the standard of living in China so their products become more.expensive.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,318 Posts
[B said:
"Christopher_2, post: 3098228, member: 103456"]Companies import steel because it is cheaper, we have the capacity in the US to manufacture more steel. Our prices are so high that it is cheaper to export, from iron ore mines in Minnesota through the great lakes around the US through the Suez canal to China than make it here. Go figure that out, we are pricing ourselves out of the market due to cheap materials from foreign countries. We need to raise the standard of living in China so their products become more.expensive.[/B]

Finally someone who understands why these Tariffs Started , Not saying I have the answer but completely understand the way other countries were dumping Steel into this one .. Some don't think and think that we need to keep the Steel Industry strong enough just in case .. Steel does not just make cars .. It also makes Planes , Ships, Tanks, Half Tracks etc..

·
Bronze member
1,493 Posts
Question...if supply and demand hold true (which I bet it does) who here would pay an additional 10% on top of what they already paid for the bike and accessories? If the answer is no, market drops and manufacturers pull back and production drops. Manufacturers will operate to an equilibrium point or it makes zero sense to produce the product.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Question...if supply and demand hold true (which I bet it does) who here would pay an additional 10% on top of what they already paid for the bike and accessories? If the answer is no, market drops and manufacturers pull back and production drops. Manufacturers will operate to an equilibrium point or it makes zero sense to produce the product.

I paid what the price was. If the price had been higher, I guess I would've paid that, too. After all, no one else was making DH Chieftain and that's what I wanted.

If you think that China should get away with the trade crap they're pulling on us, then that, of course, is your opinion. And you are totally entitled to it. If you think they need to be stopped, I'm not an economist, tell me a better way.

BD

1 - 20 of 71 Posts