Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Rider
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 17 Springfield for a year now and just rolled over 15k miles so it is time for another service. They recommend changing the fork oil and that adds a big number to the 15K service. When I asked if it was required or just recommended they admitted it was the latter.

I've elected to delay that pricey bit of maintenance {several hundred bucks} to the 20K mile service as I will be needing a new set of tires in a couple of thousand miles {still have 4/32's on both tires}. I want to keep my bike completely stock and get all of the required maintenance done to preserve my warranty for the remaining year but will continue to evaluate when recommended/optional service comes up vs warranty requirements.

I have never been a big fan of extended warranties but does anyone have any recommendations one way or the other on an extended warranty before the second year is up? Yes, I plan to keep the bike for a number of years and it has been absolutely trouble free.

:confused:

·
Rider
425 Posts
I have my extended warranty through AGWS, which is a national provider, through the dealer that I bought the bike from. Any item covered by the original Indian warranty is covered under this program as well. Normal wear and tear items are not covered. Mine was $1,200 for three years of coverage.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My wife and I bought 2017 Indians a few months apart. She opted not to go with the extended warranty on her Cheiftain and I bought the Polaris extended warranty for my RM. Have not needed it yet. (knock on wood)

We both just had the 15K done and did the fork oil change. Her fork oil smelled horrible and obviously needed to be done. Mine probably could have gone another 5K.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The fluids are recommend by mileage or yrs, there is an * next to those fluid intervals and at the bottom the * explains by mileage or every 2 yrs.

I recommend to our customers go by yrs.
The fairing bikes take a lot of labor to do fork oil

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
My wife and I bought 2017 Indians a few months apart. She opted not to go with the extended warranty on her Cheiftain and I bought the Polaris extended warranty for my RM. Have not needed it yet. (knock on wood)

We both just had the 15K done and did the fork oil change. Her fork oil smelled horrible and obviously needed to be done. Mine probably could have gone another 5K.
Fork oil smell horrible anyway
When that fluid goes bad it turns blackish.
The stock fluid is pink in color, the fluid replacing it (from indian) is clear

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
theres is so many variables goes into fork oil. Where you live how you store itTemp swings with seasons. 10,000 miles is ridiculous god some years I’d have to change it twice a season. 2 yrs is fine especially if your knocking down 30 to 40g Jmo it’s worked fine for me for many years now.

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
I did my fork oil as recommended at 15K. It was not necessary. The fork oil showed no signs of debris or discoloration. I think it is more destructive to take all that shit apart on the front end so frequently and reassemble.

I have gone back to my original fork oil theory from older bikes. I will change it every two front tire cycles. So somewhere between 42-46K with modern tires.

BTW, here is my fork oil after the 15k service. The spots you see are stains in the tray and not indicative of the fork oil.

Fork Oil.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've had my 17 Springfield for a year now and just rolled over 15k miles so it is time for another service. They recommend changing the fork oil and that adds a big number to the 15K service. When I asked if it was required or just recommended they admitted it was the latter.

I've elected to delay that pricey bit of maintenance {several hundred bucks} to the 20K mile service as I will be needing a new set of tires in a couple of thousand miles {still have 4/32's on both tires}. I want to keep my bike completely stock and get all of the required maintenance done to preserve my warranty for the remaining year but will continue to evaluate when recommended/optional service comes up vs warranty requirements.

I have never been a big fan of extended warranties but does anyone have any recommendations one way or the other on an extended warranty before the second year is up? Yes, I plan to keep the bike for a number of years and it has been absolutely trouble free.

Send an email to Ball Equipment for pricing. When shopping around, they were the best I found for 60, 72, and 84 month plans from Polaris.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I just had my fork oil done for the first time at 20k. Wanted it fresh for my 10 day ride coming soon to Deadwood, Sturgis, Sedona, Flagstaff, Four Corners, Las Vegas. The fork oil job was $240.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts

I would also ask if they could replace the oil in the forks with full synthetic as you won't have to change it as much. Harley does it so Indian should be able too. I hate the idea that they need to take the forks out to change oils in this day and age there are better ways to change fork oils, saving the owners heaps in labour cost.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts

I went with the 5 year Extended service plan thru Polaris. The name is a bit confusing. No they don't cover oil changes and such. It does cover all but normal wear and tear items with only a $50 deductible.
Like you, I'm not a fan, but in this case with the technology these things have, I felt it was a wise investment. It cost $1900 for 5 additional years. That's $380 a year, or adds $31.66 per month to my payment.

I too, plan on keeping it for the duration, and it is transferable to the next owner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had my fork oil done for the first time at 20k. Wanted it fresh for my 10 day ride coming soon to Deadwood, Sturgis, Sedona, Flagstaff, Four Corners, Las Vegas. The fork oil job was $240.
Wow, was that at a dealership....Here in the ATL they want 600+ which I'm aware of any bike under 2018 but still high, especially when several of the people I've talked with here that has had it done and oil was fine...

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
@17NDNSTL im gonna go the same way for the same reasons. And hopefully after this one I’m still healthy and in descent shape to go for one more big bike.
I never b!tch about my health but dang.
2015 Stroke (Full recovery I think) but dont tell the wife. Forgetfulness works wonders. "Why didnt you take the trash out"? Oh, sorry honey, I forgot because of my stoke you know! :p
January 2017 purchased RM
2017 Mild heart attack.
2018 Torn Rotator cuff repair (old injury)
2018 Arthritic hips have become impossible to live with. Have to have left one done ASAP after losing 70lbs.
I'm 59 so hopefully I get well enough to put 10 summers of riding in on tye RM.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
@17NDNSTL wow sounds like you have had enuff going on to hopefully be done for a long time. Take care and enjoy as much as you can. I’m gonna run this at least 5 seasons and go from there. My seasons should get a lot longer after I get south West next September.Warranty up end next August so I’ll add 3 more and play it by ear at that point. But I agree with all the stuff on them nowadays I don’t think you can go wrong. Mite actually get a good weekend this rain is killing us up here. And I know from here it all rolls your way. Stay dry roll safe !

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
@17NDNSTL wow sounds like you have had enuff going on to hopefully be done for a long time. Take care and enjoy as much as you can. I’m gonna run this at least 5 seasons and go from there. My seasons should get a lot longer after I get south West next September.Warranty up end next August so I’ll add 3 more and play it by ear at that point. But I agree with all the stuff on them nowadays I don’t think you can go wrong. Mite actually get a good weekend this rain is killing us up here. And I know from here it all rolls your way. Stay dry roll safe !
Same here. Poured all week. Tomorrow hopefully installing my new Arnott/Fox air adjustable rear shock. You can change the height up and down on the fly.
I swear, its the last upgrade. Lol!

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
On these modern machines unless your an electronics guru, I'd buy a good extension to your base warranty.
Only draw back is you'll need to stay pretty much OEM on the engine at least. Otherwise you run the risk of claim denial.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wow, was that at a dealership....Here in the ATL they want 600+ which I'm aware of any bike under 2018 but still high, especially when several of the people I've talked with here that has had it done and oil was fine...
That’s robbery. The oil is about $40 and got charged 2 hours for labor.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Same here! $600 and tech said oil was fine and in his opinion (I was working at the dealership at the time) he wouldn't fool with it in the future unless there was a definite leak in the forks. That was close to 40K ago and no problems...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Not doing mine till I see or feel a problem and even if you have the extended warranty they are not covered . We that got the 5 yr warranty when we bought our 2014 bikes found out a lot is not covered. If you have a good dealer you may get some things fixed anyway but have heard some horror stories about some dealers , knock on wood Chesapeake Indian has always taken good care of me . But for the most part it covers just the engine and transmission after first year. I don't buy the extended warranties & for the most part with these bikes you'll never use it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts