Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Scheduled Service - Far off date

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  reinie 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

So I just called to schedule my 2500/5000 mile service for my new bike. (I'm about half way between.) The dealership told me that they're booking out till Sept 7th. Given that today is July 24th, I thought that was strange. Thoughts?

Thanks!

#11 ·
Dude, Engelhart is TRASH. They couldn't even properly replace my god damn window that had the spider cracking issue. Stripped a few bolts, cross threaded others so now they just spin in the mounts, and that was AFTER they told me they needed my Springfield there so they knew which windshield to order.......as if there was more than 1 windshield that fits it. Stay far away from those assholes. They wanted almost 200 bucks for an OIL CHANGE.

Not only that, they're more expensive than ANYONE. I called every Indian dealer in IL and WI and even Libertyville (near CHICAGO) was CHEAPER. They wanted something like 450 bucks to do the 500 mile maintenance. Then I called on the 5K. Same damn thing. Take it to Racine Indian. They do the SAME thing for 250ish. Oil change, tune up, check bolts, check compression etc. There's a bar up on the top that you can sit and eat at while they work on your bike. Awesome staff. Hell one time I forgot my wallet and they had just finished my bike. Manager gave me his paypal and I paid him through the app and I was on my way home.

You're scheduled out because they aren't just working on Indians, they're working on EVERYTHING. ATV, Motorcycles of all kinds, snow sleds, boatercycles, lawn mowers, everything. Indian Racine works on Indians. That's it.

#9 ·
I was shocked. I think it's also because the guy that answered the phone did his best to get rid of me as fast as possible.

@The Fuzz Do you get service done there? I was going to have my 500 mile done there but started reading reviews and they weren't great. Looking for some first hand experience.

#13 ·
Not trying to sound condescending but you’re not required to take the bike to the dealer for routine maintenance to keep the warranty intact. There are very informative YouTube videos that give you step by step instructions on how to do everything. Can save you a heap of $$$ if you’re willing to get your hands dirty or find a good indy. Just save all your receipts and keep good records. Maybe do the 500 and 1k miles at the dealer but no more.

Reactions: PE4CE
#16 ·
Ya you're covered under the magnason moss act but, for me specifically, I live in an apartment that has blacktop for a parking lot and the sun beeeeats on it. It's an absolute nightmare working on my bike in that. For whatever reason, there's jack squat for backyard bike mechanics in the Madison area. We have Engelhart which is by far one of the worst shops I've ever experienced for anything (their sales guys are fucking great though, I know 2 of them now) and Harley which won't touch Indians. Sutters used to be good but now he doesn't have much to do with anything anymore and left it off to some pothead bozos. That's really it.

The Racine Indian really isn't that expensive. 250ish bucks and they do the oil change. The go through every bolt and nut and make sure it's in spec. Check brakes and fluid levels, do the compression test to make sure it's still going strong etc. That's worth it to me.

#17 ·
At 41,000 miles I've done all my servicing myself, except for the Indian oil change special for $5 last year. Couldn't pass that one up. I've only had to pay for a new fuel pump so far on my bike and 2 sets of new tires.

Reactions: TechRider
#18 ·
Thanks for all the comments! I guess my fear is that when I look through and see "Inspect", it's easy for me to look at it and say... yeah that looks good because I don't fully know what I'm looking for. What wear is normal vs needing a replacement. I'd prefer to do the work myself as no one else cares about my bike as much as I do.

#20 ·
Wow. Didn't know there was a thread for this subject till I did a search. Anyway, some time back my dealer lost their service manager. My sales girl then told me to contact her whenever I needed service. OK, I can do that. Last May (or was it late April?) I emailed her, needed service cause 1st week in June was riding to Eureka Springs, AR and wanted service before trip. Also needed warranty work on Challenger security system that wasn't working. Service phoned me, telling me how busy they were. OK, I can put off you all looking at the security system till next time but I really need servicing before I ride to AR. Good enough, got me a day or so later, picked up bike next day.

Fast forward to now. I have a lengthy write up of NUMEROUS problems/issues I need resolved. Security system still needs attention, 12V power port quit working, when using the GPS I can't switch and see all the screens, only 2, the Ride Command Current Ride screen can't add or subtract the "Time Stopped" correctly and the "Elevation" screen is also wacko. Last Sunday I finally took some notes on a ride and I re-set the Current Ride screen to all zeros. Before I got off of my flat, level driveway the elevation change went from 0 to "0.10 mi" and stayed at that number for my entire 85 mile ride. During that 85 mile ride I made 3 stops, 35 minutes, then 10 minutes, then last stop for gas was a 5 minute stop. I re-set the timer to 0 before I left and after each of my 3 stops the time on the screen only increased by 1 minute and at the end of the ride the Total Stopped time was 3 minutes. My music via an USB memory stick thingy is still screwy, will play some songs but less than half of the 200+ loaded, it plays then it stops, will go forward a selection but not backward, yadi, yadi, yadi. Hey I got everything written down, well noted, so forth and so on.

So, emailed my sales girl yesterday morning, she replied back she got my service request & info and had forwarded that to service and they would likely get back to me later in the day. Well, they didn't. And they hadn't contacted me as of 3:00 today so I called them. Guy on the phone apologized for not getting back to me, asked if I wanted to schedule and of course I did so he told me his first opening was on December 2nd. WTF ??? Anyway, he went to the manager, who I think must have remembered me and asked me when I wanted to bring it in. I will have the bike to them around lunch time tomorrow. And I wonder how long all the diagnostics and contact with Polaris will take? I'm sure they will have my bike for a while I just hope they can get it right. We will see.

Rant over and I will post up whenever I get it back and whether or not they fixed anything.

#21 ·
Good luck Joe!

Last time I needed service on my bike, I had something break 2 weeks before a big trip. I had rolled my own circuit for controlling lights using the factory plug before Indian had released their driving lights controlled by the VCM. I got the lights and used my solution but something happened and it broke. Thankfully I had the VCM and just needed it programmed. I had about a week and a half before my trip. I called my dealership and they told me they were booking 6 weeks out. I told them I had an urgent trip and all I needed was the VCM programmed. 30 minutes tops. You would have thought I asked them to rebuild the transmission or something with the way they acted. Ended up getting me in that weekend but they weren't happy about it. I had them do my 10k service but nothing else since. I'm coming up on needing my 20k probably mid next year... better schedule it now!

Reactions: KYJoe
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.