Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

So I just called to schedule my 2500/5000 mile service for my new bike. (I'm about half way between.) The dealership told me that they're booking out till Sept 7th. Given that today is July 24th, I thought that was strange. Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohio - Indian of Toledo

Running the deal locator from where I live, the mileage doubles to the next closest one.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that at Iron Pony?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was shocked. I think it's also because the guy that answered the phone did his best to get rid of me as fast as possible.

@The Fuzz Do you get service done there? I was going to have my 500 mile done there but started reading reviews and they weren't great. Looking for some first hand experience.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have had some work done there...just basic stuff like tires, oil changes and some recall work. We also have an account there for my Victory police bike.

·
Rider
620 Posts
I was scheduled out 3 1/2 weeks. Madison wi
Dude, Engelhart is TRASH. They couldn't even properly replace my god damn window that had the spider cracking issue. Stripped a few bolts, cross threaded others so now they just spin in the mounts, and that was AFTER they told me they needed my Springfield there so they knew which windshield to order.......as if there was more than 1 windshield that fits it. Stay far away from those assholes. They wanted almost 200 bucks for an OIL CHANGE.

Not only that, they're more expensive than ANYONE. I called every Indian dealer in IL and WI and even Libertyville (near CHICAGO) was CHEAPER. They wanted something like 450 bucks to do the 500 mile maintenance. Then I called on the 5K. Same damn thing. Take it to Racine Indian. They do the SAME thing for 250ish. Oil change, tune up, check bolts, check compression etc. There's a bar up on the top that you can sit and eat at while they work on your bike. Awesome staff. Hell one time I forgot my wallet and they had just finished my bike. Manager gave me his paypal and I paid him through the app and I was on my way home.

You're scheduled out because they aren't just working on Indians, they're working on EVERYTHING. ATV, Motorcycles of all kinds, snow sleds, boatercycles, lawn mowers, everything. Indian Racine works on Indians. That's it.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're scheduled out because they aren't just working on Indians, they're working on EVERYTHING. ATV, Motorcycles of all kinds, snow sleds, boatercycles, lawn mowers, everything. Indian Racine works on Indians. That's it.
I think that's the same thing I'm running into. I just met a guy this weekend that got a Challenger from the same dealer. He's got almost 300 mi on it and will need to do his 500 mi service very soon. You'd think since these dealerships sold new bikes to people this year, they'd take that into consideration for service.

·
Bronze member
1,930 Posts
Not trying to sound condescending but you’re not required to take the bike to the dealer for routine maintenance to keep the warranty intact. There are very informative YouTube videos that give you step by step instructions on how to do everything. Can save you a heap of $$$ if you’re willing to get your hands dirty or find a good indy. Just save all your receipts and keep good records. Maybe do the 500 and 1k miles at the dealer but no more.

Reactions: PE4CE

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did my 500 myself but I wanted them to check a couple codes I got. I guess I felt it would be more "official" to have them at least do one of them.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,843 Posts
After the break-in oil change I always do my own. I did them at 5000 mile intervals on that Chieftain and intend to do the same on my 2019 Scout even though the owners manual calls for a 10,000 mile interval. I'm just old school enough to believe 10.000 miles is too many.

·
Rider
620 Posts
Not trying to sound condescending but you’re not required to take the bike to the dealer for routine maintenance to keep the warranty intact. There are very informative YouTube videos that give you step by step instructions on how to do everything. Can save you a heap of $$$ if you’re willing to get your hands dirty or find a good indy. Just save all your receipts and keep good records. Maybe do the 500 and 1k miles at the dealer but no more.
Ya you're covered under the magnason moss act but, for me specifically, I live in an apartment that has blacktop for a parking lot and the sun beeeeats on it. It's an absolute nightmare working on my bike in that. For whatever reason, there's jack squat for backyard bike mechanics in the Madison area. We have Engelhart which is by far one of the worst shops I've ever experienced for anything (their sales guys are fucking great though, I know 2 of them now) and Harley which won't touch Indians. Sutters used to be good but now he doesn't have much to do with anything anymore and left it off to some pothead bozos. That's really it.

The Racine Indian really isn't that expensive. 250ish bucks and they do the oil change. The go through every bolt and nut and make sure it's in spec. Check brakes and fluid levels, do the compression test to make sure it's still going strong etc. That's worth it to me.

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
926 Posts
At 41,000 miles I've done all my servicing myself, except for the Indian oil change special for $5 last year. Couldn't pass that one up. I've only had to pay for a new fuel pump so far on my bike and 2 sets of new tires.

Reactions: TechRider

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the comments! I guess my fear is that when I look through and see "Inspect", it's easy for me to look at it and say... yeah that looks good because I don't fully know what I'm looking for. What wear is normal vs needing a replacement. I'd prefer to do the work myself as no one else cares about my bike as much as I do.

·
Founding member
1,132 Posts
I live in Kansas, but have been to Racine Indian a couple times over the years... I have to agree @spykez about that shop. Great folks and take their work seriously...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts