Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to reiterate the importance of checking your tire pressure.

I backed my bike out of my garage. It seemed a bit harder to roll. This was my first clue. I took off and rode to work 12 miles away. When I got to work, I smelled a rubber smell. This was my second clue. I rode it to lunch also noticing a rubber smell. I also noticed weird handling. After work it was a beautiful day and I set out to take a scenic ride. As I turned down the curvy highway I crossed some uneven pavement. When I did, the bike jumped way more than it usually does in that situation. I started really noticing that the bike didn't want to lean. It wanted to stand up in corners. About a mile down the curvy road I pulled over and noticed the rear tire seemed to look low. At the time, it didn't look flat, just low. I took it easy and limped home about 5 miles away. The next day I came out to air the tire up and the valve stem was not visible. The inner tube had gone completely flat. However, my tire didn't look any lower than it did the day before. So now I am wondering just how flat it was when I rode it? These must be some stiff sidewalls. I ended up getting a new tube and also ordered new tires as it was due anyway. I hate to think what would have happened had I continued down that curvy road and had a blowout. Check your tires before every ride.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
I made a similar mistake one time on my Triumph... took off and she felt very heavy in the front-end, and did not want to steer. Turned around and back to shop, had somehow lost much of the front air pressure. Tire did not appear flat or low, but it was considerably under normal pressure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why didn't your TPMS trigger a warning? This is what happened once to me after I unknowingly ran over a nail.

·
Silver member
5,283 Posts
Why didn't your TPMS trigger a warning? This is what happened once to me after I unknowingly ran over a nail.
He has a Vintage. They don't have TPMS because they are spoked wheels with tubes. Old School...

Reactions: Geoff-3 and Ron H.

·
Rider
1,011 Posts
You'd think in this day an age they'd put tubeless despite the spoked wheels.

My KM chief had tubeless with spoked wheels. The rims where wrapped by a layer of rubber.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
I backed my bike out of my garage. It seemed a bit harder to roll.
^^ This. Always roll your bike a few feet before you take off. A very simple check.

I never get to the second clue... (and of course check your pressures at least once week, after the weather has changed, or before a longer ride)

·
Bronze member
3,564 Posts
I just wanted to reiterate the importance of checking your tire pressure.

I backed my bike out of my garage. It seemed a bit harder to roll. This was my first clue. I took off and rode to work 12 miles away. When I got to work, I smelled a rubber smell. This was my second clue. I rode it to lunch also noticing a rubber smell. I also noticed weird handling. After work it was a beautiful day and I set out to take a scenic ride. As I turned down the curvy highway I crossed some uneven pavement. When I did, the bike jumped way more than it usually does in that situation. I started really noticing that the bike didn't want to lean. It wanted to stand up in corners. About a mile down the curvy road I pulled over and noticed the rear tire seemed to look low. At the time, it didn't look flat, just low. I took it easy and limped home about 5 miles away. The next day I came out to air the tire up and the valve stem was not visible. The inner tube had gone completely flat. However, my tire didn't look any lower than it did the day before. So now I am wondering just how flat it was when I rode it? These must be some stiff sidewalls. I ended up getting a new tube and also ordered new tires as it was due anyway. I hate to think what would have happened had I continued down that curvy road and had a blowout. Check your tires before every ride.
You're far more lucky than you think... you wouldn't have had a blow out.... you already did.. you're just lucky that the bead stayed seated..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He has a Vintage. They don't have TPMS because they are spoked wheels with tubes. Old School...
this. In fact, I wasn't thinking about the fact that it was a tube. I went to air it up and didn't see the valve. I thought I lost the valve. Took me a while to realize the valve was on the tube, inside my tire.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
You'd think in this day an age they'd put tubeless despite the spoked wheels.

My KM chief had tubeless with spoked wheels. The rims where wrapped by a layer of rubber.
Back in 2013 I had Victory Cross Roads Classic with spoke wheels and after getting a puncture out on the road in the country area ,I ended up ordering 2 new Alloy Cross Country Tour wheels so I could use tubeless tyres and plus them should I need too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts