Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I love my Indian, but I’m going back to my old brand. Every time I want to work on my bike I can’t get parts, and they are way more expensive. Right now you can’t get taller bars, trunk mount or trunk wiring for a 2017 Chieftain Limited. Over the winter it took 4 months to get the parts for my bag lid speakers. My old brand, I can walk into a dealer today and have my parts, at a much smaller price.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You mean the usual aftermarket companies are out of stock?? Hmm??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mean the usual aftermarket companies are out of stock?? Hmm??
No, OEM. The local dealer stocks nothing. Everything is ”we can order it”, but it‘s out of stock and will take months.

So,if ya don't mind sharing it with us, what are you looking at to replace your Indian with??
HD. I Have two in the garage. I had an Ultra before the Indian, I’m looking to go to a Street Glide.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Before I bought my 18 Indian SDH in Feb. of 2018,in Dec. of 2017,I road tested a brandy new 18 Road King and almost bought it.It was close, BUT,before I jumped,I wanted to atleast try the Indian too,which I did,and liked it alittle better then the 2018 Road King,hence that's the one I bought,and so far, it has not disappointed. But that was alittle over two years and 34,000 miles ago!!! But, IMO,for what that's worth, :eek: the only advantage I saw between the two machines was,the HD,which had the Milwalkie 8,107 inch motor in it,had alittle more zip then the Indian did,but that was not what I was really interested in.Maybe 60 years ago when I was just a young pup,lol lol,but not today. And this machine will probably be my last one as I've owned 10 brandy new scooters starting back in 1966 to present day. But then again,and as the wife keeps telling me,"ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG" meaning,I'm gonna live forever.:giggle: So maybe,just
maybe,I may buy another new one.Doubtfull,but it's not out of the question!! So,we shall see!!! (y) Dave!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, I love my Indian, but I’m going back to my old brand. Every time I want to work on my bike I can’t get parts, and they are way more expensive. Right now you can’t get taller bars, trunk mount or trunk wiring for a 2017 Chieftain Limited. Over the winter it took 4 months to get the parts for my bag lid speakers. My old brand, I can walk into a dealer today and have my parts, at a much smaller price.
I totally get it. I have been building up my Springfiels and the cost is ridiculous and some of the parts I want are back ordered even at crazy pricing:mad:

·
Rider
1,024 Posts
Way more options now than 2 years ago. Indianaftermarket makes a mount to attach any trunk. Many, many bars available.

I admit that I will be looking at trading bikes next year but not for the reason that you mention. It will be either a roadglide ultra or a Challenger touring model. One of the two will happen.

OP sounds like they are looking for a reason to trade.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,006 Posts
It was a b!tch trying to find OEM parts for the Kings mountain Indian.

But for current Indians, OEM parts should be readily available, because this reflects on the strength of the company, and OEM part availability is an important factor taken in consideration when deciding to buy.

·
Rider
1,006 Posts
Way more options now than 2 years ago. Indianaftermarket makes a mount to attach any trunk. Many, many bars available.

I admit that I will be looking at trading bikes next year but not for the reason that you mention. It will be either a roadglide ultra or a Challenger touring model. One of the two will happen.

I think OP was looking for OEM parts. One may not like the style of Indianaftermarket or other after market manufacturers and may want to stick to OEM parts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Totally understand! As long as you are on two wheels I am happy for you! Ride safe man!

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
673 Posts
I've been riding Indians for close to 50 years. I have had Harlees mixed in but never really liked riding them, they feel like mini-bikes compared to a Chief. I would rather have one of them than a Japanese bike any way though. In fact I just sold an 1982 FXRS I've had since it was new because I never rode it. I remember waiting month's, sometime years without seeing another Indian on the road. Indian ownership ain't for the faint of heart. Most of my riding career there have not been Indian dealerships. It was however a small community and we all knew each other. I can remember ordering parts from New Zealand in the 1970's for my WWII army scout's. There were many NOS parts around back then.You actually had to fill out an order blank, lick the envelope, mail off the order and wait a few months for your parts to arrive. Come to think of it I'd rather my Indians sit in my garage waiting on parts than ride anything else. That is my choice and I can live with it. I hope you find what you are looking for in your riding experience, I did many years ago, Goodbye.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah, I have seen this somewhat over the years as well. There are orders of magnitude more options and parts available at better prices for my Harley than the Indian for sure. After all, they've had a little of a head start. :) My 2020 Street Glide Special is a really nice bike. The only real compliant I've had is the suspension, but I knew that going in. Replaced the rear shocks and it is much better. Still not as smooth as the Chieftain, but well within tolerable range. The late 2019 and 2020 M8's have the latest version of revised parts to address the sumping/migration issues some have had (not me, my 2018 Road Glide ran perfect), so it is a good time to look at one. Due to the EPA coming down hard on Harley a few years ago, you have to watch power modifications if you like your warranty. Any tuning programmed to the ECM that is not done using the EPA approved Screamin Eagle tuner results in an instant void of the power train warranty as per the lawsuit rules. I'm still deciding whether I ignore that or not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I think OP was looking for OEM parts. One may not like the style of Indianaftermarket or other after market manufacturers and may want to stick to OEM parts.
No, I’m look for a reason to keep it. My dealer will not install aftermarket bars, and I’m not going to mess with all that wiring. I have looked at other mounts, but most are kind cheesy.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.