Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the motorcycle world, safety is paramount. This means we wear the best gear we can to protect ourselves should a mishap occur. BUT, even on a perfect day on a perfect ride on a perfect course, our hearing is at risk if we don't take steps to protect it. I am not an audiologist but I do know when something works. I have some custom made silicon earplugs from an audiology place $160.00 U.S. They work great but they are hard on the ears and create some pressure when inside a helmet that fits right. A great alternative with a 34 DB noise reduction is the following: Motorcycle Ear Plugs-World's Finest-Mighty Plugs
give them a try - You can still hear critical things you need to hear in traffic.

·
Rider
2021 RMDH- Black Smoke
615 Posts
I am an Audiologist and I agree however, I would go back to where you got them and ask them to "remake the plugs (probably Westone plugs?) with the lowest profile poss. I've fit many musician plugs noise plugs etc. and you shouldnt really feel that they are hard on your ears have them remake them. good luck
Earman67

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am an Audiologist and I agree however, I would go back to where you got them and ask them to "remake the plugs (probably Westone plugs?) with the lowest profile poss. I've fit many musician plugs noise plugs etc. and you shouldnt really feel that they are hard on your ears have them remake them. good luck
Earman67
@Earman67 - you are correct they are westone brand.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
In the motorcycle world, safety is paramount. This means we wear the best gear we can to protect ourselves should a mishap occur. BUT, even on a perfect day on a perfect ride on perfect course of hearing is at risk if we don't take steps to protect it. I am not an audiologist but I do know when something works. I have some custom made silicon earplugs from an audiology place $160.00 U.S. They work great but they are hard on the ears and create some pressure when inside a helmet that fits right. A great alternative with a 34 DB noise reduction is the following: Motorcycle Ear Plugs-World's Finest-Mighty Plugs
give them a try - You can still hear critical things you need to hear in traffic.
My local Walgreens drugstore carries these... Been using them for several years now.
I found them by accident one day while shopping.

·
Senior member / gold
6,989 Posts
After being in a war, alongside grenades going off and explosions nearby, I am approaching deafness at an alarming rate as I am nearing old age. I still count myself as one of the lucky ones. I could probably go to the V.A. for hearing aids, but I would trust an animal vet before I would trust a V.A. doctor. At this point in my life I don't need ear plugs for noise reduction. Lol!

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,901 Posts
They work great but they are hard on the ears and create some pressure when inside a helmet that fits right
I maybe wrong but I think what you got aren't fit correctly. Because of a job I had I was forced to wear ear plugs 100% of the time on the job. 8 hours or 16 hours made no difference. I no longer have that job but I'm now using those plugs with a helmet and they still work no matter how long I ride. So I don't think they made you plugs that fit properly.

And I don't have what I would call low profile plug. You can see these things very easily. Now I just started using these again so I'm not sure I can go a week with them every day but I can go all day and don't see a problem. It did take them some time to make them fit correctly to begin with, though. Like several days of sanding and filing but they got it.

·
Rider
2021 RMDH- Black Smoke
615 Posts
I hate to say it, but even as a Hearing Doctor, I never use plugs while Riding or Drumming ... "Do as I say syndrome"...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hate to say it, but even as a Hearing Doctor, I never use plugs while Riding or Drumming ... "Do as I say syndrome"...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:eek: say what Doc?

It has just dawned on me that my left ear is sensitive for some reason and I have a tooth upper left that I think has a bad filling..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.:confused:

·
Rider
2021 RMDH- Black Smoke
615 Posts
That is not Uncommon esp for upper teeth dental pain to radiate upward into the ear canal etc. see a Dentist first ... Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Rode a long time without ear plugs. Loud pipes may save lives but they did a number on my ears. I still hear ok but have some problems, especially with background noise.

If you've got loud pipes, please wear plugs.

Even if you don't have loud pipes, wind noise and less loud pipes can still mess you up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So, as one who spent half of my adult life in the military riding around on and shooting Tanks 105mm, 120mm, 50 Cal, etc... I/we did not really consider hearing protection, didn't think about it or we were real men..... all in hindsight I regret... NOW. So, that said; I wear hearing protection to salvage my hearing particularly on two wheels. But I truly do believe in free choice. Me I have gone through numerous different ear plugs and settled on the this brand. Cheap and most of all comfortable. I also like them being corded. I can pull them out and have them hang around my neck. Also I don't have to go looking for one that fell out of my pocket.

Max Lite® Earplugs - Corded S-7905 - Uline

·
Registered
220 Posts
In the motorcycle world, safety is paramount. This means we wear the best gear we can to protect ourselves should a mishap occur. BUT, even on a perfect day on a perfect ride on perfect course of hearing is at risk if we don't take steps to protect it. I am not an audiologist but I do know when something works. I have some custom made silicon earplugs from an audiology place $160.00 U.S. They work great but they are hard on the ears and create some pressure when inside a helmet that fits right. A great alternative with a 34 DB noise reduction is the following: Motorcycle Ear Plugs-World's Finest-Mighty Plugs
Have had many different ear plugs, always ready to try something that work for riders and are happy with, ordered a box.
Thanks,

·
Registered
125 Posts
After being in a war, alongside grenades going off and explosions nearby, I am approaching deafness at an alarming rate as I am nearing old age. I still count myself as one of the lucky ones. I could probably go to the V.A. for hearing aids, but I would trust an animal vet before I would trust a V.A. doctor. At this point in my life I don't need ear plugs for noise reduction. Lol!
amen brother preaching to the choir! No VA touching my dog!

·
Rider
684 Posts
I have worn disposable ear plugs for decades.
Due to unfortunate incident in Afghanistan, I was just fitted for hearing aids to mask my tinnitus.
These actually work, but I would rather not have to wear them.
Protect your hearing

1 - 20 of 32 Posts