Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding a cell phone holder/charger. I need to run the cable to the battery. I have a 17 roadmaster . Any suggestions on how to run the wire so I don’t have to worry about it melting on the engine?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I ran mine from the battery under the "split" between the two gas tanks. Straightened out a clothes hanger and taped the wire to on end and just slid it up. Removed the tape and pulled the clothes hanger right back out.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That looks easy . Unless you have an iPhone which it states won't charge at all. Personally I bought a USBC car charger and soldered it into the battery. It has an online fuse and also doesn't have an LED for any power draw when off. It also supports all the latest and greatest quick charge technology... So I don't even have to leave the phone plugged in all the time...charges the phone in minutes

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hold on a sec. I'm looking for a video for you. There's actually a plug behind the right side of the fairing that you can reach with fingers and tap. It takes an adapter and USB port cable. Total cost is like $15 or $20. You get 2 ports! Easy to do. Let me see if I can find the video and the parts I used.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This isn't the one I was looking for but it is the same process. I can't look up my part on the phone but he talks about what you need. I got both at Amazon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks. I may to that route. The unit I bought charges the phone without plugging it in but needs to connect to the battery. If I can't get that done ill probably switch to a unit that just uses usb.
I'd love to see your process and items. Take photos so everyone can benefit from it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This part connects to the connector behind the fairing. You really only need one, but it comes in a set of five. You have to cut off one end to connect to the charging unit. Make sure you seal the connection.

This is the charging unit. It support two USB inputs. Again, you will cut off one end to connect to the above piece. I used wire ties to secure it to the handlebars below the fairing.

My usage has not been so much for keeping a phone charged. I shoot all my rides in 360-degree VR. I use a Garmin VIRB 360 camera because it has a hot shoe that lets me skip battery charging and run the camera all day, except for changing cards when they fill up. It's waterproof, too, so I shoot through the rain storms. Here's an example:

Subscribe to it if you would please. I have a few more to edit from 2019's ride where I hit 43 states in 34 days. I have a playlist from the Indian Motorcycles Jack Daniels week of rides, too. This year I have several rides planned. I'd love to have fellow Indian riders along. I list them at 360bikers.com.

Good luck with the project. It's actually pretty easy and can be done without removing the fairing or other parts. Just cut the wire tie holding the cable behind the fairing and pull out that connector. In case you missed the video...

·
Registered
178 Posts
That looks easy . Unless you have an iPhone which it states won't charge at all. Personally I bought a USBC car charger and soldered it into the battery. It has an online fuse and also doesn't have an LED for any power draw when off. It also supports all the latest and greatest quick charge technology... So I don't even have to leave the phone plugged in all the time...charges the phone in minutes
Thanks. I may to that route. The unit I bought charges the phone without plugging it in but needs to connect to the battery. If I can't get that done ill probably switch to a unit that just uses usb.
It powers when bike is on. The rubber bucket comes out easy, so you can run the cable from the phone cradle to the bucket

·
Registered
219 Posts
I hooked up my cable to the supplied USB phone/media stick cable in the top dash pocket.
Then I ran my USB charging cable down through bottom of the pocket and out to the right side.
The excess cable can remain in the pocket.
There's no excess cable to hook up to the battery and no melted cable.
20200215_092328.jpg

·
KHAOS
535 Posts
Weird. I know I pasted it in. Here it is.
One caveat, on the newer bikes, 2019 for certain the connector has changed. I am attaching a pic of the new style. I believe it needs a Metri-Pack 12047663, 2 CCT, Male Connector Body to connect to. The new connector is in the same place taped to the larger connector. If you Google it or look it up on Amazon use this number 12047663.
I have ordered one of these and will confirm if it works when I receive it - possibly 2-3 weeks according to Amazon. It still seems to work the same; it is switched power.
IMG_0534.jpeg IMG_0536.jpeg

·
Registered
253 Posts
Looks like none of those come pre-wired that I can find. Do you know how the wires are assembled to it? Probably some sort of crimp fitting made for that plug type I would think.

·
KHAOS
535 Posts
Yea, I think it is a standard Dephi (APTIV) pin type. If it is and I will know when I get it; I have a crimper that should work. I just installed an AdMore light bar and had to get the crimper for that so maybe I'll get lucky and be able to use it again. It only has two wires so I'll just match the black ones and hope for the best. I will make sure and post pics IF it all works out well.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I hooked up my cable to the supplied USB phone/media stick cable in the top dash pocket.
Then I ran my USB charging cable down through bottom of the pocket and out to the right side.
The excess cable can remain in the pocket.
There's no excess cable to hook up to the battery and no melted cable. View attachment 576095
Hi luvdgl. I would like to have a non switched USB cable in that compartment. Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts