Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was ta local dealership and discovered the 2020 vintage saddlebags are mounted slightly different.
Still uses a spool but inside of bag uses a washer and allen bolt. I looked up the parts and they are available
to change earlier models. Must have a lot of complaints about bags falling off.

·
Bronze member
2,698 Posts
Will the 2020 No 6 part ( on the schematic) fit the 2015 spool set up or as all the spool part numbers are different ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
They changed them starting on the 2019 bikes. I had a 2018, which had the quick release. Now have a 2019, came with the bolt on ones.

Will the 2020 No 6 part ( on the schematic) fit the 2015 spool set up or as all the spool part numbers are different ?
My best guess is that it should fit the older spools just fine. It’s the same thread size. Basically just replaces the bolt used to hold the spools on the bike. The inside of the spools looks the same. If I have time tomorrow i can confirm as I’ve got a set of the old spools from my 2018. Only reason I could think they might not fit is the smaller spools not having space for a socket around the bolt type head, the larger hard bag spools would def work.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Here’s what the new bolt on setup looks like. I’ll take one of the inside bolts out when I get a chance and try it with the previous year vintage spool. Might be tight to get a socket around it on the smaller spools.

·
Bronze member
2,698 Posts
Thanks for the info, I’ve ordered the part ( No 6 on the 2020 parts list) the rest I think I can make.

·
Registered
617 Posts
And the 19-20 Vintages went to the large diameter spools too. So if you go to quick release (on 19-20 Vintage) make sure you have the larger diameter quick release for the larger diameter spools. Or you can go back to the small diameter spools and the pre-19 small diameter quick release. I've seen people use the large diameter hard bag quick release assemblies on leather bags but they had to use spacers because the hard bag release shafts are longer than the ones for leather bags. And if you change spool sizes you have to be aware that the backrests/trunks/racks depend on spool size. Confusing huh?

·
Registered
154 Posts
So just to add some more useful info, I took out one of the mounting bolts on my 2019 and found the spools from my 2018, the bolts don’t fit in the center hole of the spools as is. It’s super close though so I would say a tiny bit of modification and they would work just fine. Either sand/grind down the mounting bolt just a smidge or widen the hole in the spool a tad. Of course this is just for the smaller spools from the 2018 and earlier vintages, any of the bikes with hard bags already had larger spools that fit easily.

·
Bronze member
2,698 Posts
Looks like a job for my Leith, thanks for the info, still waiting for the delivery.
Will post how I get on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts