Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have the saddlebags would you do it again?
I was thinking of changing the windshield for the bags on initial purchase.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Saddle bags - NO
Windshield.- Yes
Rear luggage rack - A must
Front roll pouch. - probably

·
Registered
974 Posts
Love my saddlebags, my man purse :) I get complements on them, and the Scout looks great in leather

One of these days, they will ship my windshield, tall

Reactions: DocBuck

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hey Ray, this is a tough one. Somewhat similar to Taboothe, I am hoping for a really cool retro luggage rack. IF I eventually decide to take the Scout touring I may opt for bags, but I'm still waiting to see what the aftermarket has to offer.Viking Bags has some models that I think would really work for me and I'm assuming they'll make some for the Scout since they already have some cool Victory bags. Same thing for the windshield - my preference is for a neat looking mini fairing to cut down on the wind blast but I was considering getting a short or mid windshield as an interim solution (the high shield just looks a little too odd for me personally). However, after reading the posts on the factory Scout windshields and all the wind buffeting and relative lack of workmanship, I'm not too sure I want to go with a factory windshield. Take into account that my situation is a bit different because originally my plan was to use my BMW for longer trips and the Scout for local trips so I wasn't too concerned about the bags/windshield. However, after reading all these threads, I'm getting more and more anxious to meet up with some other Indian riders in more distant locales. I'm afraid I'm not helping you too much, but it's just my 2 cents. :cool:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Hey Ray, this is a tough one. Somewhat similar to Taboothe, I am hoping for a really cool retro luggage rack. IF I eventually decide to take the Scout touring I may opt for bags, but I'm still waiting to see what the aftermarket has to offer.Viking Bags has some models that I think would really work for me and I'm assuming they'll make some for the Scout since they already have some cool Victory bags. Same thing for the windshield - my preference is for a neat looking mini fairing to cut down on the wind blast but I was considering getting a short or mid windshield as an interim solution (the high shield just looks a little too odd for me personally). However, after reading the posts on the factory Scout windshields and all the wind buffeting and relative lack of workmanship, I'm not too sure I want to go with a factory windshield. Take into account that my situation is a bit different because originally my plan was to use my BMW for longer trips and the Scout for local trips so I wasn't too concerned about the bags/windshield. However, after reading all these threads, I'm getting more and more anxious to meet up with some other Indian riders in more distant locales. I'm afraid I'm not helping you too much, but it's just my 2 cents. :cool:
Had windshield, bags, and tool bag on my Shadow. Scout demo twice, with and without shield. Picked up my Scout last Tue. with shield and awaiting bags and bars. Shields great especially riding in cold weather. Bags I use every ride to carry a sweatshirt, glasses, bungees, a store purchase, cable/padlock, disk lock, etc. better having it and not needing it, than needing it and not having it. I also like the bagger look, and will purchase the solo rack if and when it's available.

G

·
I've yet to see a windshield on a scout that looks halfway decent IMO. this bike looks perfect with no shield or bags,bigger bikes look good with all the stuff on it,just think this bike is to pretty to clutter up!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I've yet to see a windshield on a scout that looks halfway decent IMO. this bike looks perfect with no shield or bags,bigger bikes look good with all the stuff on it,just think this bike is to pretty to clutter up!
It's all in the eye of the beholder. Although I agree in part with you the bike looks great uncluttered, but I'll get more use and pleasure from her with the shield and bags. As I stated in another thread, I like the look of classic cruisers and baggers, and my baby will look complete when she's all dressed strut-tin her stuff.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not sure if it's too late with the dealer, but I cancelled my bag order and windshield. Seeing a few videos and such, just don't see where they can justify the cost and rather shoot for black anyway.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That is one of the many things I love about this bike of choice. We are all putting together our twist of accessories and the scout will shine under ever combination. It will be an exciting day when we come across a brother or sister on the road.

·
Registered
148 Posts
While I whole-heartedly agree with your statement regarding the "look" of the bike, the practicality of the wind shield, the saddle bags, and a highway bar won out for me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I haven't seem them in person though looking at posted pictures the Indian Scout bags look huge. Hopefully will see them in person when I pick up my bike this year. I may gamble on the Viking bags.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Brown Indian bags for my Scout. Love the looks of them.

Reactions: Sid

·
Registered
332 Posts
The stock saddlebags continue to tempt me. They are gorgeous and quality is top notch. That being said the price is still insanely expensive. I purchased the stage 1 exhaust instead and laughed all the way to the bank.
I'll wait it out til a set shows up on eBay.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
No bags, no windshield, no regrets. Having rear rack and sissy bar designed now for the purse.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts