Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Rider
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have trouble with closing the saddlebags on your Challenger? Mine on the right side does not close well. There seems to be two clicks when closing the bags. The first click is smooth, but I have to really work the lid to get the second click. The left side closes fine. I had the dealer try and adjust it during the 500 mile service, but it didn’t help. I may have to see if they will warranty it, but I wanted to see if anyone else was having trouble.

·
Bronze member
1,356 Posts
Anyone have trouble with closing the saddlebags on your Challenger? Mine on the right side does not close well. There seems to be two clicks when closing the bags. The first click is smooth, but I have to really work the lid to get the second click. The left side closes fine. I had the dealer try and adjust it during the 500 mile service, but it didn’t help. I may have to see if they will warranty it, but I wanted to see if anyone else was having trouble.
Daydk, you really need to PUSH down on it....and it should latch/close tight. If that doesn't do it, you might have a defective latch or closing pin which is not lining up. I do like the fact that these Challenger bags really SNUG down and close.......much better than the lids on my Chieftain! Good luck!!!

·
Rider
945 Posts
Yeah chieftain lids are loosey goosey big time.
Mine are so loose I wonder if they rattle and I just dont hear it.

·
Rider
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Chieftain Classic and my bags close good and are snug.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine is the same way. The left one gets to the second click pretty easy but the right one takes some force. I constantly check it now as a casual closing doesn't close it all the way.

·
Rider
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daydk, you really need to PUSH down on it....and it should latch/close tight. If that doesn't do it, you might have a defective latch or closing pin which is not lining up. I do like the fact that these Challenger bags really SNUG down and close.......much better than the lids on my Chieftain! Good luck!!!
Yes, that's what I have to do. I don't have to close the other one near as hard to get to the second click. Probably an alignment problem, but I don't see any adjusters where I can try to adjust it to close a little easier.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes, that's what I have to do. I don't have to close the other one near as hard to get to the second click. Probably an alignment problem, but I don't see any adjusters where I can try to adjust it to close a little easier.
If you do find a way, please share so I can fix mine.

·
Rider
829 Posts
I just lubricated both latches and the gas cap assembly, with silicone, it helped a lot. I tried loosening the locking post in the saddlebag but they have a dedicated position. So I sprayed the lock mechanism and the post. Seems better.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
Seems you have to push pretty hard on all the models, far too many times I've been riding down the road & the car next to me points at my open bag.
Lost my favorite hat awhile back on the Challenger.

·
Bronze member
1,836 Posts
my limited takes two clicks... and you have to push hard for the second one... normal to me.. and everything stays nice and dry when riding in the rain too
Same on my ‘17 Roadmaster I like the way it seals tight

·
Rider
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 2018 Chieftain and 2017 Roadmaster both close really good and are not excessively hard to close. I can close the Chieftain with one hand for both clicks and it seals nicely. I think I have an alignment issue with the Challenger. It's only one saddlebag that does it. The other one closes like my other bikes.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
My bags close without much pressure on my Challenger. Guess I am the exception.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
801 Posts
My right bag seems to need more pressure than the left.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Different hinges then older Roadmaster's. Hinge is in middle on Challenger supporting all the weight of bag and plastic not as stiff. Lightly push leg on outside of bag and push inwards while closing lid or when closing lid down, also pull lid towards fender at the same time. My problem is one lid closes tight while the other on is slightly loose after second click. I have removed both the lid and the silver latch on the inside of bag and tried to adjust them both and the bag lid is still loose.
Challenger hinge placement is different than the older Roadmasters... the hinge is in the middle of the bag and all the weight pulls the bag apart. The Roadmaster has two hinges and both to the left and the right of the bags exterior wall. The weight of the lid is more evenly distributed on the wall with the hinge. The Indian dealership told me to lean on the saddlebag inward while shedding the lid and that will help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't know if you have solved your problem but I had same situation. Removed the latch and added a very thin washer to each screw between the lid and the latch. Problem solved. Slight push after the first click and second click engages. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Challenger had the same issue but mine was on the left side. I could hear it click twice but it wasnt a tight fit to the bag. I went to my dealer and he tried changing the latch (lock) and the loop for it as well. The last thing we changed was the lid itself. It was warped. He opened a case with Ask Polaris and Indian sent another lid to try. Im going in Friday for them to swap it out. I hope this helps..

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Challenger had the same issue but mine was on the left side. I could hear it click twice but it wasnt a tight fit to the bag. I went to my dealer and he tried changing the latch (lock) and the loop for it as well. The last thing we changed was the lid itself. It was warped. He opened a case with Ask Polaris and Indian sent another lid to try. Im going in Friday for them to swap it out. I hope this helps..
It sounds to me that Indian needs to create an adjustable latch or latch loop to correct the variation fit between bag and lid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It sounds to me that Indian needs to create an adjustable latch or latch loop to correct the variation fit between bag and lid.
The saddlebag lid was warped and out of shape so it didn't close correctly. I could have drilled new holes for the loop inside the saddlebag and moved it down just a bit and it might have worked. I felt for the money I paid it needed to be fixed the right way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts