Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is an earlier thread or two on this issue.....but my left side saddle bag lid does not "double click" and close nice and snug to the saddlebag base. What have riders who have this problem done to solve this problem? I've leaving for my cross country tour NEXT week and fearful that if (when?!?) I get stuck in a downpour, my left side saddle bag is going to become my rolling goldfish tank on wheels. Is there a fix I can consider or this a dealer fix.....or will I need a new latch and/or lid!!?!? Thnx in advance.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,110 Posts
When I installed my Custom Dynamics plasma rods, it changed how the lids closed. There is a little more pressure pushing them away from the bike. I hardly get the 2nd click anymore but everything stayed dry in the one, somewhat small, storm I was in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know there is an earlier thread or two on this issue.....but my left side saddle bag lid does not "double click" and close nice and snug to the saddlebag base. What have riders who have this problem done to solve this problem? I've leaving for my cross country tour NEXT week and fearful that if (when?!?) I get stuck in a downpour, my left side saddle bag is going to become my rolling goldfish tank on wheels. Is there a fix I can consider or this a dealer fix.....or will I need a new latch and/or lid!!?!? Thnx in advance.
You can check my other thread "Challenger Issues, Dislikes or Needs for Improvement" for the pictures. - I was very disappointed with the saddlebag lids, I'm sorry but... I think they are junk, along a few other things on this bike. There are a few individuals on this forum that thought my post and comments were BS but after a few months, more and more riders are posting their issues that they are experiencing, so I'd be happy to help..
I took my bike back to the dealer and they agreed that they didn't look right. They took pictures and sent them to Polaris - without any push-back Polaris replaced both of my saddlebag lids. They look and seal ten times better than they did when I bought the bike. I believe the quick decision to send me two new lids raises the question that there is a definite problem that they are not willing to issue a recall just fix them on a case by case basis. I'd take your bike back in and quote me and my experience, maybe they will replace yours.

·
Bronze member
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can check my other thread "Challenger Issues, Dislikes or Needs for Improvement" for the pictures. - I was very disappointed with the saddlebag lids, I'm sorry but... I think they are junk, along a few other things on this bike. There are a few individuals on this forum that thought my post and comments were BS but after a few months, more and more riders are posting their issues that they are experiencing, so I'd be happy to help..
I took my bike back to the dealer and they agreed that they didn't look right. They took pictures and sent them to Polaris - without any push-back Polaris replaced both of my saddlebag lids. They look and seal ten times better than they did when I bought the bike. I believe the quick decision to send me two new lids raises the question that there is a definite problem that they are not willing to issue a recall just fix them on a case by case basis. I'd take your bike back in and quote me and my experience, maybe they will replace yours.
MJH, sounds good. This problem with my left side saddlebag just "happened" out of the blue......not sure what happened. My dealer has been very good to me, so not worried about their support with the mother ship......but I'm concerned that this matter won't be resolved before I hit the road. Will need to keep contents in that bag in large zip lock bags to play it safe. Thnx for the speedy response and encouragement here. And I agree with you......Indian cut some costs here on some components of our bikes.....and the bags/lids is certainly one area. That f----ing horn is another!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
MJH, sounds good. This problem with my left side saddlebag just "happened" out of the blue......not sure what happened. My dealer has been very good to me, so not worried about their support with the mother ship......but I'm concerned that this matter won't be resolved before I hit the road. Will need to keep contents in that bag in large zip lock bags to play it safe. Thnx for the speedy response and encouragement here. And I agree with you......Indian cut some costs here on some components of our bikes.....and the bags/lids is certainly one area. That f----ing horn is another!!
I'm not impressed with the $500 Navigation System either, that was a total waste of money.....unless you just like following a green line without any info. (WTF.?)

·
Bronze member
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not impressed with the $500 Navigation System either, that was a total waste of money.....unless you just like following a green line without any info. (WTF.?)
MJ, the green line is the route you're supposed to follow to where all the money is being made.....at Indian headquarters!!!! Off of buyers like you and I. Remember, I paid $159.00 for my garage door opener module......a part they purchased for less than $10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
HeyHog I haven’t looked but is there no adjustment that can be made to the latch mechanism of the lid? Sounds like if there is it may have just loosened up a bit. I would also check the seal where the lid meets the bag to make sure the gasket didn’t get bunched up or that something is stopping full seal of the lid. Just throwing out thoughts. Good luck.

·
Bronze member
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HeyHog I haven’t looked but is there no adjustment that can be made to the latch mechanism of the lid? Sounds like if there is it may have just loosened up a bit. I would also check the seal where the lid meets the bag to make sure the gasket didn’t get bunched up or that something is stopping full seal of the lid. Just throwing out thoughts. Good luck.
TG, solid suggestions.....I checked all of that stuff. I don't see a latch/closure pressure adjustment anywhere. I do get two "double clicks" at closure, but the second click doesn't pull the lid down nice and snug. No worries, I can still ride the bike, so just a little inconvenience in terms of dealing with the warranty issue at the dealer. Hey, shit is faulty/defective even on our best cars and trucks, so I get it. I've been reading some of the threads on this problem and most of the owners have received new lids from the manufacturer under warranty.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,844 Posts
I noticed this on the bikes featuring the "new style" saddlebags yesterday at the demo event. Some were quite loose fitting when latched shut. Not sure why there was so much variation other than sloppy manufacturing tolerances or assembly issues.

·
Registered
183 Posts
HyeHog
Both of my saddlebags started doing this a couple of months ago.
I could always get the first click but rarely the second.
I found that a little wiggle back and forth with light but firm pressure while closing the lid works every time to get the second click.
It acts like the lids or hinge got stressed and do not line up correctly.
Second nature to me now so I forgot to even mention it when I was in for the 5500 mile service a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
107 Posts
MJ, the green line is the route you're supposed to follow to where all the money is being made.....at Indian headquarters!!!! Off of buyers like you and I. Remember, I paid $159.00 for my garage door opener module......a part they purchased for less than $10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!
I spent $159.00 on gas ;)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,844 Posts
My Liftmaster control fit over my handlebar and I used a sheet metal screw through the clip to secure it. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 19 Springfield and the left bag 2 clicks just fine, the right side took about 10lbs of pressure to get the 2nd click. I took the latch off and elongated the holes for some adjustments. Now I can fine tune it .
Pretty easy fix, that we shouldn't have to do!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a 19 Springfield and the left bag 2 clicks just fine, the right side took about 10lbs of pressure to get the 2nd click. I took the latch off and elongated the holes for some adjustments. Now I can fine tune it .
Pretty easy fix, that we shouldn't have to do!!!
I thought about doing this. Have you noticed any water getting in after doing this?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used Velcro which enables me to remove during rain/washings. I must admit I've forgotten to remove it during spray washing a couple times. It doesn't seem to affect it (still good to remove it though)...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good morning Bagger Jay
I actually just did this a few days ago so haven't given it the water test.That being said I really don't think it will be a problem, I adjusted it so that after the 2nd click when you push down on the lid you still have a slight depression of the seal but no "rattle". And that's the way the road side bag is that I didn't have to adjust.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Good morning Bagger Jay
I actually just did this a few days ago so haven't given it the water test.That being said I really don't think it will be a problem, I adjusted it so that after the 2nd click when you push down on the lid you still have a slight depression of the seal but no "rattle". And that's the way the road side bag is that I didn't have to adjust.
The reason I ask is my right bag requires a lot more effort to close, but it is water tight. My left closes nicely but lets in a little water when I wash it. I was actually going to tighten the left by doing this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts