Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed that the locking mechanism on my right saddlebag isn’t working.

If I shut the lid, it stays closed, but without the lock.

When I use the key fob/dash button I hear (and sense by touching the lid) the electric actuator for the lock working, but it doesn’t lock at all.

Apparently I can’t lock it manually with the key either. It turns the key barrel only 45 degrees, it doesn’t go further than that and I can’t pull the key out when the barrel is in that 45 degree position.

Where should I start looking at?

·
Bronze member
5,078 Posts
it sounds like you've got some grunge in the lock barrel. I'd try some isopropyl alcohol first to give it a clean up. Squirt it down the key slot and twist the key gently to loosen anything in there.

Lubes like WD40 can attract dust and cause trouble so it's advisable to not use it. Disc brake cleaners are OK and have a strong jet through the little tube so might penetrate better.

If/when you get it clean and working, let it dry and puff some graphite dust in.

It's better to work on it with the lid open, the last thing you want is a jammed lock that you can't undo when the lid is closed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it sounds like you've got some grunge in the lock barrel. I'd try some isopropyl alcohol first to give it a clean up. Squirt it down the key slot and twist the key gently to loosen anything in there.

Lubes like WD40 can attract dust and cause trouble so it's advisable to not use it. Disc brake cleaners are OK and have a strong jet through the little tube so might penetrate better.

If/when you get it clean and working, let it dry and puff some graphite dust in.

It's better to work on it with the lid open, the last thing you want is a jammed lock that you can't undo when the lid is closed.
I´ll give it a try. Debris in the locking barrel might actually be the cause for not working key lock. It´s pouring rain down here in the last few weeks and I had some "mud splashes" from cagers while riding.Maybe some dirty water got into the barrel.

On the other hand, the matter of the electric lock apparently working but not locking the lid at all remains to be seen.

·
Bronze member
1,159 Posts
how about the simple check, my bike has the weather stripping to prevent moisture getting in the lids (rubber trim)

If i lightly close the lid it will latch enough to hold closed, but a firmer push to close on the lid it firmly and fully latches.

Might be possible your lid is only partially close and the electric lock will not work

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
how about the simple check, my bike has the weather stripping to prevent moisture getting in the lids (rubber trim)

If i lightly close the lid it will latch enough to hold closed, but a firmer push to close on the lid it firmly and fully latches.

Might be possible your lid is only partially close and the electric lock will not work
Good tip. Will check it out ASAP and let you know how it goes. The weather stripping really does have a tendency to move out of place LOL

Edit:
Zander, unfortunately it wasn’t the case.

I did the following test. Both lids open. Locked them through the dash button.

The left one , even opened, locked properly so you can’t push the button/barrel in. The right one, didn’t, it remained in “unlocked” state, even though I can hear/sense the locking mechanism working.

I believe it might have some dislocated or broken part in the lid locking mechanism. Or it might be just dirt. Will buy some isoprophylic alcohol in spray and try to clean the barrel. Still, even if the barrel were dirty, the electric lock should work.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing that I noticed is that in the saddlebag that works properly, when I use the key, the barrel really goes only 45 degrees. But it goes both ways, one direction for locking, one direction for unlocking. The "bad" lock barrel only rotates into the "unlock" direction.

I filmed the electric lock working. First on the "good" saddlebag, second on the "damaged" one. From what I´ve seen, something is blocking the barrel from rotating into the back of the bike (the direction that I would turn the key into "locking" position.

I wonder if something is broken (or loose) inside or if it might just be debris in the way.

I hope the barrel movement is visible in the video, because for some unseen reason the video had NO audio. damn.

Luckily someone will come with some extra ideas.

·
Bronze member
1,159 Posts
has that lock perhaps been disassembled, then reassembled?
if reassembled incorrectly , will not work properly.

Take the bad one apart going from memory 2 screws to take apart.
Double check orientation of the pins on the lock cylinder

·
Rider
943 Posts
Is the bike under warranty? If so it is a warranty issue. If not take it apart and look for items out of place or missing. What year is the bike?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
has that lock perhaps been disassembled, then reassembled?
if reassembled incorrectly , will not work properly.

Take the bad one apart going from memory 2 screws to take apart.
Double check orientation of the pins on the lock cylinder
I have the bike for 18 months. I never disassembled the lock, which was working just fine until last week, so even if the previous owner (got it in Oct 18) did disassemble it, it doesn´t seem to be the case. But I´ll take it apart to see if something got loose or even if something (some small piece I might be carrying in the saddlebag) entered through the open section of the lock and jammed the barrel. It can happen. Hopefully I won´t need to buy a new lock, because living in BR I´d need to import the parts from USA and they would take two months to get here through standard mail (of course, I could FedEx them, but then it would be rather expensive LOL).

Is the bike under warranty? If so it is a warranty issue. If not take it apart and look for items out of place or missing. What year is the bike?
No warranty, it´s a '16. I have the bike for 18 months (got it in Oct 18 from the first owner) so far. The lock was working just fine until last week, and stopped working for no apparent reason.

Time to wrench it, then, to see how it goes. LOL Probably something got loose inside the locking mechanism, or maybe something fell into the hole on the lock and jammed the barrel. If I have the time, I´ll look into it this weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same issue. lock clicked, but didn’t actually lock. In my case it seemed to be an alignment issue. I recall that someone else wrote that there are two latch positions when you close the lid. If you only get one click, press a little more firmly on the lid for the second click. That seemed to work, however, it seemed much harder to get the second click on one side than the other. So I started digging further and found the sidebag was not sitting firmly on the muffler as it should. Grabbed the rear bottom edge and gave it a jiggle and it rattled. I loosened the bolts that secure the bag to the frame, made sure the bag was firmly on the muffler. This required a bit of jostling around to get it fully seated as the rubber blocks on the bottom of the bag kind of grip on the muffler and prevent getting it squarely seated. Then while holding in place, tightened the bolts. Worked great! Seems the bag had a very slight deformation before, enough that the lid latch was no longer perfectly aligned. I think the second click brought things into closer alignment so the lock would no longer bind.

I think HD differs in that the bags sit on a frame, not the muffler for the bottom support. The Indian bags sit directly on the muffler with the rubber block. So I am guessing that with several heat cycles, things begin to creep a bit and may require periodic adjustment.

My $0.02 worth, or was that $2.00?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem solved , folks!

I took the locking mechanism out of the bag to check. Opened it up, no debris inside, but even disconnecting the electric lock from the “inner barrel” (sorry, didn’t take pics, let’s say that the inner barrel is the internal lock piece that the key barrel rotates along with) it didn’t rotate.

It turns out that all I needed to do was to lubricate it. A LOT. After some lubrication the plasticky inner barrel started to move. Than it was just a matter of properly lubricating it so it would rotate with no resistance and putting everything back together: now it’s working.

Considering that it was all lubricated with mineral grease, I cleaned every up (removing all the old grease) and applied new fresh grease all over it just in case.

Thanks on all the input, fellas!

·
Bronze member
5,078 Posts
I'm glad you've got it working again.

A word of warning about using grease in a lock. It's a matter of time before it starts to collect dust and jam up again. If you do a web search on 'lock lubricant' you'll find lots of possibilities, but they are all dry lube like silicone or teflon spray or graphite dust. WD40 makes one for locks but it's also a dry lube, not the general use stuff.

It sounds like a previous owner used grease, it should not have come from the factory like that. The plastic (probably teflon) liner of the barrel is there to make it easy to turn without too much lube.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm glad you've got it working again.

A word of warning about using grease in a lock. It's a matter of time before it starts to collect dust and jam up again. If you do a web search on 'lock lubricant' you'll find lots of possibilities, but they are all dry lube like silicone or teflon spray or graphite dust. WD40 makes one for locks but it's also a dry lube, not the general use stuff.

It sounds like a previous owner used grease, it should not have come from the factory like that. The plastic (probably teflon) liner of the barrel is there to make it easy to turn without too much lube.
just to clarify, I didn´t use grease on the key barrel itself (that was lubed with graphite). I used it around that "plasticky piece" that rotates on the video (inside the mechanism, which I had to take apart). That´s where there was grease (which is there not only to lubricate, but to protect the system against moisture as well). It was on the inside of the locking mechanism.

I also used a little bit of PTFE dry lube (I use one from WD-40) to make it work, THEN I applied the grease.

This was the drill:

• Take the locking mechanism out of the bag;
  • Partially dismantle the locking mechanism and investigate where it was stuck;
  • Cleaned everything up with WD40 (standard, I like to use WD to clean up parts);
  • After the first round of cleanup with WD, a round of contact cleaner (isoprophylic alcohol in spray);
  • After proper part cleanup, I applied PTFE dry lube on the jammed part until it started to move freely as it should;
  • Some more PTFE dry lube just in case;
  • Grease on the junctions and orifices in order to keep the moisture out;
  • Graphite lubricant on the key barrel;
  • Reassemble everything
Just to clarify things. :) Your insight was highly valuable on the matter.

·
Rider
832 Posts
Don't know if you've tried the brake cleaner spray yet but word of caution, REMOVE YOUR LOCK FROM THE BAG FIRST! Sorry to yell, but brake cleaner will strip paint right off your bike.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't know if you've tried the brake cleaner spray yet but word of caution, REMOVE YOUR LOCK FROM THE BAG FIRST! Sorry to yell, but brake cleaner will strip paint right off your bike.
No, I didn’t try that. It worked without such drastic measures LOL

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
5,078 Posts
I think you might be thinking of brake fluid, not cleaner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts