Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Traveled from Virginia Beach, VA to Fl. on my 2016 Chieftain. Round trip, I put on 2500 miles. The return really sucked as the unexpected Tropical Storm Bonnie showed up and created a stressful wet ride back up to VA. FYI- #frogtogg #roadtoad sucks! My other riding buddy wore his Frog Togg and had the same results. My legs, ass and sleeves were soaked and too make maters worse the pant legs just happened to touch the hot exhaust. Not sure why they didn't make inner legs with a better material. The zipper on one leg came off track on the highway and the zipper eventually broke in half.

For communications I have the HBC 200HD- This is a waste of money! I have owned this for over a year and I have had many problems with getting the mics to work right in both my half and full face helmets.

I traded in a Victory XC for this Chieftain. For comfort, I added a backrest, Highway pegs, a flare windscreen, Led Bulbs, ram mount, a USB extension to the ram mount and some heat control (Capt. -Itch). A NEW SEAT is a MUST and is my next purchase. My ass started hurting after 150 miles. I'm so glad I had highway pegs and a backrest which helped a bit, but I think I a wider seat more supportive seat would've felt better. I also wish I had bought soft lowers like I had on my Vic, would've been great for the rain. The LED lights is a must buy, especially for driving at night!

Used my iPhone for GPS and music. The indian entertainment controls are good however, I found them to be a bit bulky and difficult to use after 200 miles with gloves on. I can't complain. I could hear the music clearly compared to my Victory XC with the kicker speakers.

In conclusion, The Chieftains 111 cubic in. engine is by far more than capable to get you ahead and down the road. The power from the 111 was amazing as well as the handling . Loved the ride, and at 5'11" and 198 lbs this bike fit me just right. Every pitstop, I recievd props for a sweet looking ride.

Never | Make every ride count
SpotWalla.com - Trip Viewer

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,763 Posts
Sounds like a fun ride and a learning experience!
Nelson-Rigg rain suits are awesome and less than $100. I have the 3000 two piece and it has an extra patch on the right leg for the exhaust. I've only used it twice, but once was literally all day rain for about 400 miles and I stayed dry.
I replaced my seat with a Mustang and still added an Airhawk 2 for comfort. Try the Airhawk 2 by itself before you spring for another seat.
The Sena 10 is a decent helmet set. I have very little complaint with it, but I hear that the 20s is even better.
The Garmin 665 has great nav functions and XM radio. Wouldn't trade it for the world!

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
My legs, ass and sleeves were soaked and too make maters worse the pant legs just happened to touch the hot exhaust.
Back in '04, we got a lot of rain in AZ.
I rode to work everyday, 60 miles round trip..

I bought HD's top of the line rain gear..
The inside of the legs had the same material as on lower sections of their bike covers.. It is not effected by heat..

With that pant and jacket with a full face helmet and helmet skirt I never got wet..

It's the only rain gear I had owned and worked perfectly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a fun ride and a learning experience!
Nelson-Rigg rain suits are awesome and less than $100. I have the 3000 two piece and it has an extra patch on the right leg for the exhaust. I've only used it twice, but once was literally all day rain for about 400 miles and I stayed dry.
I replaced my seat with a Mustang and still added an Airhawk 2 for comfort. Try the Airhawk 2 by itself before you spring for another seat.
The Sena 10 is a decent helmet set. I have very little complaint with it, but I hear that the 20s is even better.
The Garmin 665 has great nav functions and XM radio. Wouldn't trade it for the world!
Most definitely a learning exp. Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back in '04, we got a lot of rain in AZ.
I rode to work everyday, 60 miles round trip..

I bought HD's top of the line rain gear..
The inside of the legs had the same material as on lower sections of their bike covers.. It is not effected by heat..

With that pant and jacket with a full face helmet and helmet skirt I never got wet..

It's the only rain gear I had owned and worked perfectly.
Someone else on the road told me the same thing. Thanks

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Congrats on doing the 'Saddle Sore'. No small feat to be sure. As a former 'professional' long distance rider I can confidently say that good rain gear is a must if you absolutely, positively, have to be there two hours ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts