Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with maintaining, a leather saddle? My 1984 VT700c (first bike) has a vinyl saddle that requires little maintenance. I would like the saddle on the Scout to age and last for many years.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with maintaining, a leather saddle? My 1984 VT700c (first bike) has a vinyl saddle that requires little maintenance. I would like the saddle on the Scout to age and last for many years.
Ryan, the thing to do is to google search Horse Saddles, Saddlery, Tannery and Saddle Care. Those who are in the know will be the ones who cater to ranchers who ride their horses a lot and who's saddles see much sunlight and diverse weather. - that's what you and everyone else who owns an Indian or any bike with a leather saddle. You are in Wisconsin so in the north, you want to find out what the working horsemen use in the northern regions.
Saddle care rules may differ a slight for north and south so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Search for Skidmore's. I once had a custom leather seat made from Rick Mayer Cycle (Rick Mayer Cycle custom motorcycle seats) and he suggested the Skidmore products. One of my wife's friends who is a horse junkie purchased saddle soap for me to keep the leather clean and heathy. Twinhit has a good point to check with your local tack shops or horse people as they'll know this stuff inside out.

BTW: Rick Mayer is excellent at what he does! He improved the seat on my 1150RT allowing me to do an easy 600 miles in one weekend. Huge difference in comfort and I'd recommend his work for any motorcycle saddle needs.

Reactions: mbrewer566

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Most well set up sporting goods stores will sell Sno-Seal. It's carnauba wax and I don't know what. Heat the item with a hair dryer to make it sink in. Works great on gloves, boots, and jackets, too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
For light colored leather, any oil, such as Neatsfoot will darken the leather. Angelus luster crème is a product used by horse show folks for light colored saddles. I don't know how well it would work on light Indian leather. Many horse people cover their light colored saddles as sunlight will darken them. Leaving moisture on leather is also not a good idea and another reason to cover.

It would be interesting if anyone makes a custom saddle cover for the solo seat of the scout or for the saddle bags of the scout and vintage.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Skidmore's, just placed my second order in the last three years. I'm sure many products are just as good, but Ill stick with something I'm happy with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts