Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, NOW I have a ***** regarding product design/quality...
I bought the OEM "liners" that fit into the saddle bags that the factory calls "travel bags". Essentially, they're supposed to do the job of removable luggage that fits into Indian hard saddle bags. They're made of a nice tough material, with bits of leather at zipper ends and other edges. Presumably the leather bits would give an impression of quality, over the aftermarket stuff that's out there. NOT! They'll get the job done passably in so far as removable luggage pieces goes. But you can do a heck of a lot better and cheaper by just shopping Amazon.com and/or Wal-Mart to find removable bags that'll fit in the saddlebags and allow you to lift out your goodies to carry them into a hotel room. I bought them for the purpose of filling them before making a trip and lifting the luggage out at the destination, while using the available saddlebag space efficiently.
Prior to buying my Roadmaster, I rode a 2010 Kawasaki Voyager and I had the OEM accessory bag liners that fit exceptionally well to the inside of the saddlebags. Other than the thickness of the tough material that the bag liners were made of, the liners fit the precise interior space of the saddlebag themselves. The tops of the liners had a "U-shaped" zipper that ran the length of the bags, around the back and then again along the length of the bags. So when the zipper is unzipped, there is a long flap, about 5 inches wide, that you flipped out of the way to access the interior. That top shape & zipper allowed the tops of the bag liners to fit the full length and width of the saddlebags as well as the bottoms did. They had no bits of leather for dressing, but their toughness, quality and fit to the interior of the Kawasaki saddlebags was flawless.
The Indian Travel Bags pinch the tops of the bags together with a long straight zipper which insures that you will NOT pack them as efficiently, utilizing all of the space of the saddlebags that they fit into. The bags do not fit as precisely to the interior of the saddlebags and, in fact, the top zipper, being longer than the tops of the saddlebags, has to be bent down at the ends & tucked into into the saddlebags before the lids can be closed.
At $150 for saddle bag liners, for a $30,000 touring motorcycle, I expected better. I suggest that you shop elsewhere if you're in the same market.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow. Good timing. I am planing a trip this spring and almost ordered the bags this morning when I was at the dealer. Thanks for the heads up. ;)

btw- I think you posted an AdMore light post? The light arrived last week and I can't wait to get it installed. The tip for the delphi connectors was great (arrived this week from Mouser).[smug]

·
Registered
767 Posts
Meh, I'm happy with mine. You definitely can't over stuff them, but that's due to the top lid design of the hard bags. My FJR in contrast, had side opening hard bags and those liners fit great even if a little over stuffed.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Well, NOW I have a ***** regarding product design/quality...
I bought the OEM "liners" that fit into the saddle bags that the factory calls "travel bags". Essentially, they're supposed to do the job of removable luggage that fits into Indian hard saddle bags. They're made of a nice tough material, with bits of leather at zipper ends and other edges. Presumably the leather bits would give an impression of quality, over the aftermarket stuff that's out there. NOT! They'll get the job done passably in so far as removable luggage pieces goes. But you can do a heck of a lot better and cheaper by just shopping Amazon.com and/or Wal-Mart to find removable bags that'll fit in the saddlebags and allow you to lift out your goodies to carry them into a hotel room. I bought them for the purpose of filling them before making a trip and lifting the luggage out at the destination, while using the available saddlebag space efficiently.
Prior to buying my Roadmaster, I rode a 2010 Kawasaki Voyager and I had the OEM accessory bag liners that fit exceptionally well to the inside of the saddlebags. Other than the thickness of the tough material that the bag liners were made of, the liners fit the precise interior space of the saddlebag themselves. The tops of the liners had a "U-shaped" zipper that ran the length of the bags, around the back and then again along the length of the bags. So when the zipper is unzipped, there is a long flap, about 5 inches wide, that you flipped out of the way to access the interior. That top shape & zipper allowed the tops of the bag liners to fit the full length and width of the saddlebags as well as the bottoms did. They had no bits of leather for dressing, but their toughness, quality and fit to the interior of the Kawasaki saddlebags was flawless.
The Indian Travel Bags pinch the tops of the bags together with a long straight zipper which insures that you will NOT pack them as efficiently, utilizing all of the space of the saddlebags that they fit into. The bags do not fit as precisely to the interior of the saddlebags and, in fact, the top zipper, being longer than the tops of the saddlebags, has to be bent down at the ends & tucked into into the saddlebags before the lids can be closed.
At $150 for saddle bag liners, for a $30,000 touring motorcycle, I expected better. I suggest that you shop elsewhere if you're in the same market.
Check out Cee Bailey's aircraft plastics. They have bag liners that are form fit. Bought a pair and just love them. They make the headlight and driving light protection. Don't know how to attach their website, but it's easy to find. Made to order. Takes a few weeks, but it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Thanks for the review. I had wondered for the price if they would worked as you had hoped they would have. I have some homework to do.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'll have to check and see if the bag liners I had for my Victory Cross Roads hard leather bags work. The look to be a simular shape as the Indian.

·
Registered
22 Posts
+1 on Cee Baileys. Bags fit perfectly in my Springfield hard bags and are great quality. They will more more than what the hard case dimensions will allow and have nice straps and zippers.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have had CEE Baileys bags for my Vintage for two years. They're great! Nice side pockets for paperwork and they open flat for packing. They form fit the leather saddle bags very well.

·
Bronze member
1,943 Posts
btw- I think you posted an AdMore light post? The light arrived last week and I can't wait to get it installed. The tip for the delphi connectors was great (arrived this week from Mouser).[smug]
Just an FYI on the Admore light. I helped a club rider install his and you need to flash the factory firmware with one that is for Indian only. The lights will not work properly if you don't do that and you have to contact Admore to get. It is not posted on their website due to Murphy's law. BTW the light works and looks great. I have one on my HD. :)
If you ever decide to use the light on a different bike you'll need to flash it back to the factory firmware. Using the Indian only firmware on a different make of bike will kill the light.

·
Bronze member
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow. Good timing. I am planing a trip this spring and almost ordered the bags this morning when I was at the dealer. Thanks for the heads up. ;)

Yep. That was me with the AdMore light. If I can be of any help, let me know.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
I've been using the OEM's daily for 2 years now with not a single issue with them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just an FYI on the Admore light. I helped a club rider install his and you need to flash the factory firmware with one that is for Indian only. The lights will not work properly if you don't do that and you have to contact Admore to get. It is not posted on their website due to Murphy's law. BTW the light works and looks great. I have one on my HD. :)
If you ever decide to use the light on a different bike you'll need to flash it back to the factory firmware. Using the Indian only firmware on a different make of bike will kill the light.
I reached out to Admore on facebook before I bought it. They said as long as I specified the Roadmaster on my order they would flash it for the Indian (bought it direct from Admore). I'll know in a couple of weeks when I get some free time to install it. Would have been nice if they provided a couple extra feet of wiring.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I am considering taking a trip from VA to FL in December, and having the Cee Bailey's bags might help.

Reactions: theMucker

·
Registered
716 Posts
+1 on Cee Baileys. Bags fit perfectly in my Springfield hard bags and are great quality. They will more more than what the hard case dimensions will allow and have nice straps and zippers.
+2

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Use branded stuff to give you ideas as to what you want and what exists.. then, do everything in your power to avoid buying the brand stuff.. it's almost always over priced, and under made..

·
Registered
422 Posts
I believe you meant $129

1 - 20 of 40 Posts