Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Chief Vintage with saddle bags that attach with Allen bolts. I considered the Quick Release Kit because I take the bags off/on a lot. But when I looked through the online pdf manual to see how it installs, there鈥榮 a list of additional required parts sold separately. 馃槨

Has anybody converted the Allen bolts to the Quick Release system? Does it really require buying all that extra stuff? There鈥檚 no mention of it on the product page of the web site.

Silver member
I would stick with the Allen screw setup. If the release kit is anything like the leather bag quick release, there have been a lot of lost bags due to the quick release not making a positive lock. Just my thoughts on the matter.
I dunno... I have the quick release on my '15 Vintage and no issues. I've read on here where the leather bags have been lost. But mine are very secure. I have found though, when putting the bags back on you need to make sure the metal tabs on the bags are over the outside stops on the spools before the bags are locked down. I take mine on/off a hand full of times over a riding season and no problems. That said, I can see where bolts would be more secure, and I don't think I'd bother going thru the time & expense to switch over to the quick release kits. 30 seconds vs a minute or two? Butt, that's just me ;)

Registered
I had the quick release with my 16RM and they worked great! No issues. I hate the bolts. I'm sure that they changed the set up for a reason as in too many weren't latching it correctly I guess. With my 20RM I need to push the lids shut and listen for 2 clicks to have it secure properly. Never had that issue with the 16 and never had the lid come undone from the latch. I've had that happen once with the 20RM.

Registered
I was curious about this myself. If you buy kit 2884045 and you have a Chief Vintage I don't think you need any more parts. Note the pdf says you need new strut covers if you have a Chief, Classic or Dark Horse. Doesn't mention the Vintage. I think the kit has all you need. I may have a lightly used quick release kit I would trade for your screw type. I know I have hard bag kit but your soft bags need a shorter anchor shaft. I'll check.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I was curious about this myself. If you buy kit 2884045 and you have a Chief Vintage I don't think you need any more parts. Note the pdf says you need new strut covers if you have a Chief, Classic or Dark Horse. Doesn't mention the Vintage. I think the kit has all you need. I may have a lightly used quick release kit I would trade for your screw type. I know I have hard bag kit but your soft bags need a shorter anchor shaft. I'll check.
Yeah I鈥檓 looking at pictures of the Classic and Dark Horse and I鈥檓 thinking the issue may be that those bikes don鈥檛 seem to have the spools for hanging bags at all. So maybe those need to be retrofitted for accommodating bags before the Quick Release can be installed. But what鈥檚 the difference between the 鈥淐hief鈥 and the 鈥淐hief Classic鈥? I thought there was only the Chief Classic (no bags) and Chief Vintage (with bags).

Registered
The fender rails on the old small spool Vintage were different than yours. I think the plain Chief, Classic and Dark Horse come with the small spool rails that are not compatible with the large spools, hence the need to change fender rails. In 2019 Indian started using large spools (like the hard bag models) for the leather bag Vintage.

Not sure but it looks like in 2019-2020 they only have 2 Chief models: Dark Horse and Vintage.

Registered
I dunno... I have the quick release on my '15 Vintage and no issues. I've read on here where the leather bags have been lost. But mine are very secure. I have found though, when putting the bags back on you need to make sure the metal tabs on the bags are over the outside stops on the spools before the bags are locked down. I take mine on/off a hand full of times over a riding season and no problems. That said, I can see where bolts would be more secure, and I don't think I'd bother going thru the time & expense to switch over to the quick release kits. 30 seconds vs a minute or two? Butt, that's just me ;)
Same here on my 17' , really no issues with locking the bags down tight. My only concern are the plastic latches that will probably need replacing at some point.

Registered
Yeah, no issues on my 14 Vintage w quick release, 35k miles but prolly half w/o the bags. Just be careful when installing. At first I had trouble (when removing the bags for storage) with the plastic lever coming off the shaft and losing parts. Then I figured out the lever snaps on to the pin in the shaft, no trouble since.

Silver member
Same here on my 17' , really no issues with locking the bags down tight. My only concern are the plastic latches that will probably need replacing at some point.
Good point. Seems the plastic would be the weakest link.

Silver member
Good point. Seems the plastic would be the weakest link.
Any ideas or suggestions about the plastic snaps securing the cover? I find that the snaps on my '14 leather saddlebags tend to pull open quite easily, too easily to be exact. The other day I had both saddlebags flopping open due to the snaps coming undone while tooling down the road.

Registered
I added the quick release kit to the bags on my 2019 Vintage. The strut covers did not need to be changed. The kit came with the required spools and was an easy task. Now I can quickly remove the bags when washing the bike. They are plastic, but hold the bags on quite securely. It really takes a bunch of effort to release them, so I feel confident in the bags staying secure on the bike. Hope this helps. I have no regrets about changing over to them.

Registered
For a 19 or newer Vintage all you need is the quick release kit. DH's and Classics require the strut/spool kit as well. Older Vintages come with the QR.

Another option for Darkhorse's and Cassic's is to order the 2018 and older Vintage spools and latches as service parts... they are also on eBay for much less.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
For a 19 or newer Vintage all you need is the quick release kit. DH's and Classics require the strut/spool kit as well. Older Vintages come with the QR.

Another option for Darkhorse's and Cassic's is to order the 2018 and older Vintage spools and latches as service parts... they are also on eBay for much less.
ah perfect. I have a2019 Vintage. So I should be ok. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts