Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I installed a S&S Stealth air cleaner on my 2017 Scout. There is a pretty big difference between the stock air filter and the S&S. The bike sounds much deeper than stock. It was too cold to take it for a spin plus I'm waiting for a proper tune from Fuel Moto, sent them the ECU info on a Saturday. I have Crusher Mavericks and I could only find a tune for Track slip ons with the S&S air filter. Maybe it's pretty close. If I like it I may put Crushers/S&S/PVCX on my wife 60. fullsizeoutput_750.jpeg fullsizeoutput_746.jpeg IMG_3703.JPG

·
Registered
407 Posts
I did similar but vh slipons. I chose the arts from fuel moto and craig has been helping me fine tune. I can say after a few tune improvements i can feel the difference fine tuning makes, and i was initially happy with the fm tune i received.

I guess i can compare it to an audio system.. you can add amps and big speakers and it will be very loud. But fine tune the equalizer and you can start to hear each instrument clearer and more defined.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm interested in the S&S intake as well. I currently have Vance & Hines slip-ons with a PVCX with the Reinhart slip-on tune and it runs great. Smooth and powerful. I'm hesitant about the S&S because it's not cold air induction. Sitting in traffice, my bike hits 200 degrees and that's the air that the S&S intake will be sucking in. So, the volume might be more but the air it's breathing is HOT. I believe that the stock airbox sucks most of its air from though the front of the frame. All the reviews I read ONLY say it makes really cool sucking sounds but NONE tell me if it creates more power or not. I don't want to spend 150.00 for cool sucking sounds. I can hear those sounds for free from my girlfriend. Does anyone know if the S&S actually creates MORE power? Thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm interested in the S&S intake as well. I currently have Vance & Hines slip-ons with a PVCX with the Reinhart slip-on tune and it runs great. Smooth and powerful. I'm hesitant about the S&S because it's not cold air induction. Sitting in traffice, my bike hits 200 degrees and that's the air that the S&S intake will be sucking in. So, the volume might be more but the air it's breathing is HOT. I believe that the stock airbox sucks most of its air from though the front of the frame. All the reviews I read ONLY say it makes really cool sucking sounds but NONE tell me if it creates more power or not. I don't want to spend 150.00 for cool sucking sounds. I can hear those sounds for free from my girlfriend. Does anyone know if the S&S actually creates MORE power? Thanks.
FuelMoto posted results stock, with slip-ons, and with S&S. S&S pulled almost 10 more HP and 6 more ft lbs tq over just slip ons. See link:

http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/fuel-moto-scout-dyno-testing-dynojet-pv-cx-mapping.210848/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow! Out of all the modification, the S&S seems to make the biggest improvement. 10 Horsepower increase, when all the others were marginal. Thank you very much for this information! I'm ording it today!!!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ha yeah I am guessing that bike pulls like a freight train... lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ordered the S&S kit given DynoJet has a tune for it with the Vance & Hines Grenades full exhaust. Should be something really nice added.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you look at the picture I posted the stock air box sucks ZERO air from the frame. The intake location is in the same location as the S&S. The stock air box sends the air into a series of chambers and the final chamber is about an inch tall. Remember it's a liquid cooled engine and the temperature of the air moving over the top of that engine is going to be negligible compared to a few inches closer to the front of the bike. That void in the front chassis has no opening to the outside air. If you're sitting in traffic and the engine is 200 degrees why do you need cold air? You may want cold air when you need it like riding really fast not idling. Move the bike and guess what...the air over the engine is the same as the air outside the engine. But don't listen to me look at all the results of people taking out that dense air filter and replacing it with something better.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
En
Wow! Out of all the modification, the S&S seems to make the biggest improvement. 10 Horsepower increase, when all the others were marginal. Thank you very much for this information! I'm ording it today!!!!!
Enjoy it and after you ride the bike for the first 10 seconds please write in your thoughts and tell me if that $150 was well spent!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with you 100%. After seeing the Dyno charts in Johnny5's link, I placed my order. Proof is proof and that's all I care. I just didn't want to spend the money for cool sucking noises :)

I'll definitely post my results.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The original air box is a travesty of engineering. EPA and Fed noise levels have it so poorly designed for performance - it is ridiculous. Early on an Polaris engineer claimed you could add 6 hp by merely cutting all of the restrictions out on the air filter and air box. Which is what you get if you go to the indian / K&N $99 air box. That mod can be done for free.... Any change is much better! You can build an aftermarket air intake for about $60.00 but the S&S looks like the best!

·
Registered
224 Posts
The only reason I choose the S&S intake was the DynoJet Power Vision CX has a canned tuned for it with stock or aftermarket exhaust. My logic was that it must be popular enough for DynoJet to choose this intake in the new Bobber selection of tunes they initially released. Granted, other intakes tunes will come later, but for them to release this as the first said something about how good they feel about the S&S intake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have v+h slip ons, ss pod filter, remap using pcx dynojet, my 60 now makes just over 96 bhp at the crank, 85 bhp at the wheel after dyno run, real difference in top 3 gears, fantastic intake noise, still pulling hard at 95 mpg in top!!
Money well spent, don't need the 1200 ???

·
Registered
3 Posts
[QUOTE="WesWood, post: 3350229, member: 123769"
How is it? i have just the grenades right now and am thinking of a similar
Go with ss pod filter, slip ons, remap using pcx, 20 bhp increase on my 60,intake noise is fantastic ???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts