Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up the S&S slip for my FTR, Does anybody have any experience it tips on removing the DB killer please? Is it just the 3 bolts to the rear of the pipes or do I have to remove the 2 on the side as well? I'd like to take the DB out before I install it on the bike. Thanks in advance. ?

·
Registered
388 Posts
@WayneFTR - I just installed mine and can’t get the end cap off no matter what I’ve tried. Did you have any luck ?
I have one too. It’s really really tight. I ended up wrapping it in a towel and giving it some solid whacks with a dead blow hammer. That helped a bit but I ended up still needing to finagle a flathead, REAL carefully between the end cap and the muffler body and twisting to help pry/slide it out. It’s difficult but it does come out. It is just the 3 bolts on the end that need to come out, not the ones on the side.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have one too. It’s really really tight. I ended up wrapping it in a towel and giving it some solid whacks with a dead blow hammer. That helped a bit but I ended up still needing to finagle a flathead, REAL carefully between the end cap and the muffler body and twisting to help pry/slide it out. It’s difficult but it does come out. It is just the 3 bolts on the end that need to come out, not the ones on the side.
I’ll give that a shot tomorrow. Looks like OP took his off by hitting it from the inside with a metal rod while off the bike. Did you do it before or after installation ?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I’ll give that a shot tomorrow. Looks like OP took his off by hitting it from the inside with a metal rod while off the bike. Did you do it before or after installation ?
Mine was while on the bike.

Reactions: MSN_Indian

·
Registered
111 Posts
Do it while on the bike, I just use three screw drivers, 2 upright in the screw holes and use the third as a lever between them to get some twist; should pop right off.

·
Registered
2019 FTR1200S
59 Posts
According to the S&S website, there are 2 different versions of the slip on, US and EU version. Only the US version specifically states it has a removable baffle, does the EU one really have one?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do it while on the bike, I just use three screw drivers, 2 upright in the screw holes and use the third as a lever between them to get some twist; should pop right off.
Thanks for the suggestion ! I get to order a new screwdriver :-( worst part is it still didn’t budge.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@urgentorange thanks ! Finally was able to get it off by wrapping it in thick towel for protection and whacking it with a rubber mallet; it still wouldn’t budge, however, the Allens wouldn’t re-seat so it definitely moved....that re-encouraged me so I used a screwdriver also wrapped in a towel and from the underside tapped where the cap met the exhaust and it broke free! DB reducer is out...hopefully it won’t be too loud. LOL.

·
Registered
388 Posts
@urgentorange thanks ! Finally was able to get it off by wrapping it in thick towel for protection and whacking it with a rubber mallet; it still wouldn’t budge, however, the Allens wouldn’t re-seat so it definitely moved....that re-encouraged me so I used a screwdriver also wrapped in a towel and from the underside tapped where the cap met the exhaust and it broke free! DB reducer is out...hopefully it won’t be too loud. LOL.
I have the cat on mine still. I found with the DB reducer in it still sounded stock with a slightly deeper rumble to it. With the dB reducer out it really came alive and sounded great without making your ears bleed.

Reactions: MSN_Indian

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow, sorry about the screw driver, yours was definitely a tough one! I’ve had mine off and on several times trying different setup, quite surprised how effective the DB killer is. Right now I’m running no cat and no DB, I don’t like how loud it is at start up in my neighborhood, but I’m happy with it everywhere else.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow, sorry about the screw driver, yours was definitely a tough one! I’ve had mine off and on several times trying different setup, quite surprised how effective the DB killer is. Right now I’m running no cat and no DB, I don’t like how loud it is at start up in my neighborhood, but I’m happy with it everywhere else.
LOL...I was just glad nothing was scratched on the exhaust or broken, screwdriver is an easy replacement =)

Woke up around 4 to an email with my fuel maps from Fuel Moto and finally got the DB reducer out, still haven’t fired it up yet...can’t wait!

A buddy suggested there might have been loctight on the allens that leaked causing it to be so tight.

Are you using the link pipe from Fuel Moto ? How about no cat, but with DB reducer ? My neighbors are awesome and definitely want to be considerate of kiddos bedtimes/naps during the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
LOL...I was just glad nothing was scratched on the exhaust or broken, screwdriver is an easy replacement =)

Woke up around 4 to an email with my fuel maps from Fuel Moto and finally got the DB reducer out, still haven’t fired it up yet...can’t wait!

A buddy suggested there might have been loctight on the allens that leaked causing it to be so tight.

Are you using the link pipe from Fuel Moto ? How about no cat, but with DB reducer ? My neighbors are awesome and definitely want to be considerate of kiddos bedtimes/naps during the day.

If you’re worried about neighbors, I’d leave the cat on. Without it on it is snappy, regardless of dB reducer in or out.
Here is a thread detailing my experience with cat on/off. If you like a loud bike, sweet. It just wasn’t for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you ever want to put it back on, put it in the freezer before you do.
Can you please explain what you mean ? Put the DB Reducer back on ?

The whole exhaust or just the DB reducer ? Might have to do this if its a bit too loud.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the FM link and a plain Rev B tune, it’s been great for me. I think urgent was just referencing the resonator box, if you remove it the sound profile definitely has more pop to it and a little less, well resonance ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts