Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took me a while to find it on the schematic FTR (base model) Cruise Control – nothing in the index – I think their referring to it as “Pedal”? (Turn sigs- hi/low – horn are accounted for) except the Pedal, which I’m guessing has to be the Cruise Control – any way, I was researching the S&S Engine Control Manager for Indian® FTR™ 1200 base Models – S&S claims the base models come only in standard mode (not sport or rain) and with their controller I too can have all three modes of operation (it’s hooked to the cruise control???) Yeah I see it giving you 3 modes of operation connected in parallel to the cruise control – and you can pretend you’re in “Sports” mode – but not really – starting to look like a money gimmick scam (Pedal connects to ECM1 and ECM2)

For those who opted out of the FTR bells and whistles – all feedback is welcomed, even negative

The base model feels like it's in Sport mode always - maybe I wrong?

·
Bronze member
2,198 Posts
Rain, standard, and sport mode, mainly just change the throttle response. All modes have the same peak power.

Yes installing this on your bike and putting it into sport mode will make it more snappy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
It took me a while to find it on the schematic FTR (base model) Cruise Control – nothing in the index – I think their referring to it as “Pedal”? (Turn sigs- hi/low – horn are accounted for) except the Pedal, which I’m guessing has to be the Cruise Control – any way, I was researching the S&S Engine Control Manager for Indian® FTR™ 1200 base Models – S&S claims the base models come only in standard mode (not sport or rain) and with their controller I too can have all three modes of operation (it’s hooked to the cruise control???) Yeah I see it giving you 3 modes of operation connected in parallel to the cruise control – and you can pretend you’re in “Sports” mode – but not really – starting to look like a money gimmick scam (Pedal connects to ECM1 and ECM2)

For those who opted out of the FTR bells and whistles – all feedback is welcomed, even negative

The base model feels like it's in Sport mode always - maybe I wrong?

Its probably like the devices sold for cars and trucks that do the same thing. The way they work is they exaggerate where your throttle position is.

Basically the throttle on these bikes and most cars is simply a potentiometer (variable resistor). If the potentiometer is linear which I think it is on our bikes. That means when your throttle is 50% open, the resistance valve is changed by 50% etc. The maps on the bike are set based on these positions.

What these add on devices do is tell the ECU that your throttle position is greater or less than what it really is. For example if you are at 10% throttle position, the gizmo tells the ECU you are at 50% position, and bang sport mode. In the auto industry these devices have ben known to cause codes and limp modes because the units are telling the throttle to open too fast than the design parameters allow.

It is most likely a motorcycle version of these devices

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It activates the different throttle by wire maps, does it?
well different maps are set up for different (mods) on your bike - looks like the cruise control and ECM controls the throttle motor and locks it and you can tweak it up or down for speed - if the ECM detects a change in throttle or breaks it disconnects from the throttle motor (that's for cruise control) S&S controller hooks up to the bike cruise control - the Cruise control doesn't care about any Maps - the Map runs the engine (i don't think you can change maps on the move) but you can play with the cruise control (So maybe that's how it's being done???? ) for the three modes of operation???
- seems more like a Shunt (hi-med- low)

the FTR 1200 and FTR 1200 S have identical engines, same specs same horse power same everything - except for the bells and whistles

I think I'll wait for the reviews on the S&S

·
Bronze member
2,198 Posts
Yeah you can change from rain mode, standard mode, and sport mode while riding. You just have to let off the gas.

Info is in your owners manual.

You can’t go into track mode and deactivate abs/tc unless stopped.

Which doesn’t apply to the s&s thing anyway.

Which ONLY affects the tbw sensitivity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts