Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In doing a 4K+ minor inspection of my Chieftain, I noticed two engine bolts, one front and one rear, completely rusted over (see below). My guess is this just happens and there isn’t a damn thing I can do about it, particularly given that the bolts are completely inaccessible to be taken out and cleaned. Clearly, this has little to do with how the bike runs; I just HATE rust aesthetically.

Anyone else notice this same issue? Anything that can be done? Just suck it up and ride?
(By the way, I just learned the hard way that WD40 and parts near a hot engine do not mix as it starts to smoke; yes I’m stupid).
Front:

Rear:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nothing on the engine on my RM, but a nut/bolt under the exhaust heat shield. So it's out of sight out mind, but I know it's there.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing on the engine on my RM, but a nut/bolt under the exhaust heat shield. So it's out of sight out mind, but I know it's there.
I have several worm drive clamps connecting heat shield to exhaust that have rusted as well. But I ordered a couple and can replace those. These suckers I can't get to. I may try some Rustoleum with a Q tip possibly.

·
Bronze member
2,367 Posts
That appears to be your header nut and stud. They all rust...on every bike I’ve had, the nuts (and stud) securing the header to the cylinder will rust.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don’t know what they are, but they are in the middle of each cylinder, not by the exhaust. Then again, I’m not any engine expert. But glad to know I’m not alone.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That appears to be your header nut and stud. They all rust...on every bike I’ve had, the nuts (and stud) securing the header to the cylinder will rust.
After additional looking, you are correct...it is the header nut and stud (had no idea the header went that deep). I'd replace if I could, but looks like you need to take the bike apart to do so, at least certain parts. Oh well, will try a little Rustoleum.

·
Bronze member
2,367 Posts
After additional looking, you are correct...it is the header nut and stud (had no idea the header went that deep). I'd replace if I could, but looks like you need to take the bike apart to do so, at least certain parts. Oh well, will try a little Rustoleum.
Not hard to get to. There is a finned cover that’s held on by two hex bolts. take that off (may have to wiggle it off...there is a pin holding one side to the cylinder) and it’ll expose the nuts and studs. Take the nuts to a hardware store and buy stainless steel replacements. You can hit the studs with a little steel wool to knock off the rust...or use naval jelly. In order to keep the rust off, you’ll need to apply some hi temp anti seize lube or something equivalent...but eventually they’ll rust again.

·
Rider
987 Posts
Reactions: Kost

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not hard to get to. There is a finned cover that’s held on by two hex bolts. take that off (may have to wiggle it off...there is a pin holding one side to the cylinder) and it’ll expose the nuts and studs. Take the nuts to a hardware store and buy stainless steel replacements. You can hit the studs with a little steel wool to knock off the rust...or use naval jelly. In order to keep the rust off, you’ll need to apply some hi temp anti seize lube or something equivalent...but eventually they’ll rust again.
Thanks for the info. Didn't realize those covers came off. Was able to do it. Still, getting to the two exposed exhaust nuts and studs is a bit of a ***** (the hidden ones are easy). The front one was tough because the oil cooler is in the way, so I had to partially remove it. The rear one was even tougher because I had no tool to fit in that angled-down tiny area. Had to get a Kobalt hex set with an angled adapter to do it. With that said, being a mechanical moron, it's kinda fun to figure this stuff out, until I do permanent damage or my bike explodes.

Cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts