Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard some time back about a rust problem on fenders and using silicone to repair. Can someone fill me in?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Don't use silicone..........ever see what a siliconed bathtub surround looks like after being wet?
It turns black with rot from the water being trapped under it. Use an EXTERIOR door and window sealant WITHOUT silicone. Butyl caulk would be an excellent product for your needs.

https://www.amazon.com/18188-Gutter...ag=popularmechanics_auto-append-20&ascsubtag=[artid|10060.a.12296[src|[ch|
You should be able to get this locally...........

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Remove the lamp and clean the area first. Then replace and seal the holes underneath. Also seal where the fender side skirts are welded to the fenders...front and rear. Clean areas first. There are some posts on the areas to seal.

·
Bronze member
2,006 Posts
Theres a product called Lexel, comes in tube and tube for for caulking guns, stays clear , good stuff better then silicone.... jusayun

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,619 Posts
I had rust showing on my 2015 RM after about 6 months. Both front and rear fenders. These were replaced under warranty. Before they installed the fenders I had them brush coat all the inside seams with automotive undercoating. The fenders are pretty thin metal and there are numerous places that are spot welded together. Even the new fenders I got appeared to have nothing there to seal these overlaps. Just going in the rain throws the water into the inside of the fenders and then the water sits there till it eventually dries up. It is not a matter of if they will corrode but when. It's hard to believe that Polaris could not spare a couple bucks in undercoating to seal these fenders up on these $30K machines. Even the lighted icon on the front fender will eventually give you the "brown Indian". The bracket inside the lighted assy has little protection to it. I took this apart, bead blasted the metal, painted and reinstalled and then added a bit of RTV to the wire grommet to seal this to keep water out from intruding into that assy. I have not had a problem since and now have 40K on my bike. Dean

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Just take out your caulk and go to town. It will seal the hole up good. No one sees under there anyway.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
If the rust you're referring to is that coming from the seams. Here's a link to what I used on my replacement fenders to hopefully cure it. Note that this will do nothing for an old fender where rust has already started, the sealer needs to be applied to a brand new fender before any moisture has had a chance to get a foot hold. I also sealed the outside seams with a thin bead, but didn't note that in this post. I've done the same thing to front and rear fenders when replacing them due to rust from the seams.

https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/only-8-months-old-and-i-got-rust.7757/page-3#post-346380

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just had rust on my front fender under the brake covers and on one of the brake covers. Warranty referred this as cosmetic and denied a warranty claim on my 17RM. After i said i wanted to speak to a supervisor they offered an extended warranty. I took it and im having a friend fix the rusted area's.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am really sad to see that you guys out there are still having these issues. ESPECIALLY THE OP WITH AN ICON RM. That is a REAL shame.

I browse still these forums from time to time (especially the RM one) because I miss the community when I owned my RM's, but seeing that people are STILL going through these same fender rust issues is NOT what i wanted to see. I was hoping that it was taken care of by now, since this was the main reason I traded in my RM towards my current GL1800.

I must've opened and cleaned/sealed 6 war bonnet lights during my ownership (whenever they changed the fender due to warranty), and even that task alone takes hours and made me question my motorcycle purchase. There's no reason that we should have to do any kind of preventative maintenance on a motorcycle that costs in excess of $28,000, that should be taken care of in the factory during manufacturing.

I hope you guys find a solution and enjoy your RM.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had rust showing on my 2015 RM after about 6 months. Both front and rear fenders. These were replaced under warranty. Before they installed the fenders I had them brush coat all the inside seams with automotive undercoating. The fenders are pretty thin metal and there are numerous places that are spot welded together. Even the new fenders I got appeared to have nothing there to seal these overlaps. Just going in the rain throws the water into the inside of the fenders and then the water sits there till it eventually dries up. It is not a matter of if they will corrode but when. It's hard to believe that Polaris could not spare a couple bucks in undercoating to seal these fenders up on these $30K machines. Even the lighted icon on the front fender will eventually give you the "brown Indian". The bracket inside the lighted assy has little protection to it. I took this apart, bead blasted the metal, painted and reinstalled and then added a bit of RTV to the wire grommet to seal this to keep water out from intruding into that assy. I have not had a problem since and now have 40K on my bike. Dean
Your Vulcan from 19 years ago will be there long after the Indian has rusted away. And your Vmax right next to it. Facts.

·
Registered
443 Posts
How do you take the light off?

Its been posted elsewhere but here. Good luck. I got really good at (after six times or so)it and if you lived in NYC I would drop by and help you do it for free because it would take me one hour tops now.

ALSO! Reseal the glass face on the front because on my third fender this was the spot that leaked after all my sealing.
And this is MY video about my leaking front glass part so you have a better understanding of what im talking about

·
Bronze member
2,034 Posts
I was a little taken back when I removed a fender and saw the inside. A thin coat of matte black paint and no inner fender. I can’t believe that will hold up over time. Debris kicked up by the tires will wear that thin layer of paint away over time. So each time I remove a fender I am applying spray-in truck bed liner material to the underside. I’ve done this before on numerous bikes and it’s held up great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts