Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an issue with rusted exhaust studs? I have Stage 1 pipes since Scout was new and the studs are now badly rusted. Rest of the bike is gleaming. Dealers say it is normal and all bikes have rust even ones in showroom!. Thought they would have used rust-free studs at fitment time.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Has anyone had an issue with rusted exhaust studs? I have Stage 1 pipes since Scout was new and the studs are now badly rusted. Rest of the bike is gleaming. Dealers say it is normal and all bikes have rust even ones in showroom!. Thought they would have used rust-free studs at fitment time.
Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
18 Posts
20170313_120711.jpg
Not exhaust studs but these were my saddle bags mounting spools! Changed them for stainless.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Just a note of caution... Zinc plating is a better choice for some fasteners requiring high tensile strengths. Note 10.9 or 12.x on certain critical bolts? Don't swap those with stainless.

·
Bronze member
2,640 Posts
Exhaust fasteners and header studs tend to rust. I've removed the rust on mine with naval jelly, but the rust will return eventually. Occurs on my RM, as well as the previous HDs. I'm sure it has something to do with the heat and the type of metal.

·
Bronze member
2,008 Posts
I just got some ACF-50 rust preventer stuff last week (still not put on) to try on the rustable parts since my Scout was showing rust on places like the swing arm pivot bolts ever since I bought it 10 months ago.

The muffler bolts have whitish corrosion too, but not bad yet. Same for the fender spool bolts.

The motorcycle shed isn't insulated at all, except for roof, and only a concrete floor, so the motorcycle(s) always sweated during temp changes because of the typical high humidity here. Unless like today when Winter gets drier, my outdoor weather gizmo is saying only 25% humidity right now.

Yep the heat and cooling changes are great, or bad, for rust. Must be some kind of electrolysis (spelled right??) going on too, I would think. Differing metals, that sort of thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts