Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't know if i'm the only one who has ever had this happen so far, but search results didn't pull up anything. my bike only has 800 miles on it. its a 2016 vintage and has only seen a little rain once and it was wiped down immediately. but my rear rocker cover on the kickstand side is showing like rust bubbling through and minor discoloration. swung by the dealer in clarksville indiana today and the guy took some pictures and sent it to polaris for approval. i sure hope this will be covered by warranty. i cant believe that it wont be covered since it only has 800 miles on it. i could understand rust on a 5 year old bike maybe not being covered but i took her home like 4 weeks ago. fingers crossed for a good response from the dealer next week.
rocker cover.jpg

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
That is not rust, that is a poor chrome job. In chroming a layer of copper is plated onto the base metal and then the chromium is plated onto it. What you are seeing is the copper layer due to poor chroming.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is not rust, that is a poor chrome job. In chroming a layer of copper is plated onto the base metal and then the chromium is plated onto it. What you are seeing is the copper layer due to poor chroming.
so that would cause the bubbling effect as well? cause you can physically feel it.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Only the prominent fins are polished smooth on our rocker covers. The lower redressed areas are intentionally left rough to give an older sandcast appearance. But if you can fleck the chrome off its poor prep during chroming. These covers are cast aluminum (magnet won't stick).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only the prominent fins are polished smooth on our rocker covers. The lower redressed areas are intentionally left rough to give an older sandcast appearance. But if you can fleck the chrome off its poor prep during chroming. These covers are cast aluminum (magnet won't stick).
did not realize they were aluminum. hope that helps in the decision of polaris on fixing it. thanks for the input!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts