Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my Chief Vintage from June 2015 have 1,250 miles on her, had the rear brake master cylinder done, also had a previous rust issue corrected under warranty, yes I have soft paint (it looks like Torvel and Dean has practiced on it), I have top end noise (clack) the rear drive is noisy, all dismissed by Polaris UK "we have no knowledge of any issues" The dealer I bought it from has not answer my email questions, and now I find the front and rear wheel rims are showing rust bubbling through the chrome (not rode the bike all winter). In the UK its a bank holiday so will be reporting it this Tuesday hopefully the service center that is not a dealer but is authorized to service Indians and Victory's can put a warranty claim in for me, Still love the bike but its wearing thin. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have a 14 chieftain but I have found that the soft paint isn't an issue if you put some good wax on it and never let anyone wipe it off with a dry cloth or with a little detail spray. I generally wash it with a hose before I get into rubbing paint. On the rust side I agree if rust is coming through versus rust forming on top. Even if you don't ride much here in Florida near the ocean salt gets on everything and if it stays for a period of time bad things happen. The back of one of my mirror stems is starting to get some rust that can't be cleaned off......after a year they don't warrantee any of this stuff or so they say! Good luck!!!!

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Love the denial part by Indian ....................... just like the browning whitewalls and other issues. Let us know what happened.

·
Bronze member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update, they are going to replace the back wheel so has we say in the UK I`m a happy bunny (will monitor the front wheel)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,910 Posts
I have a 14 chieftain but I have found that the soft paint isn't an issue if you put some good wax on it and never let anyone wipe it off with a dry cloth or with a little detail spray. I generally wash it with a hose before I get into rubbing paint. On the rust side I agree if rust is coming through versus rust forming on top. Even if you don't ride much here in Florida near the ocean salt gets on everything and if it stays for a period of time bad things happen. The back of one of my mirror stems is starting to get some rust that can't be cleaned off......after a year they don't warrantee any of this stuff or so they say! Good luck!!!!
I'll send you pictures of my HD down on the Texas coast in Galveston .... that... has rust

·
Bronze member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck hope they make good on your warranty. Is your bike stored in a garage during the winter?
Ye its in my man cave over the winter, its not heated but its dry. the weathers getting better now so I`ll be back on the road.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,810 Posts
Bought my RM back in Nov of 14. By the summer I had rust showing on both fenders. I was not a happy camper but when I sent the pics in to the dealer I had warranty coverage by the end of the day. Not impressed by how Indian puts the fenders together. The top crown is spot welded to the side panels. There is no sealer on any of the seams in the inner part of both the fenders. Before I let them put the new fenders on I brought in some brushable undercoating and had the mechanics fill in and coat all the inner seams. So far no further issues. Dean

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
Yeah - Got to spend some love time when detailing to take a mental note of any potential issues. End of warranty comes fast and then your stuck with the prop ($). Just cruising the threads really helps when others go through the pain and expense.
Pat

·
Bronze member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bought my RM back in Nov of 14. By the summer I had rust showing on both fenders. I was not a happy camper but when I sent the pics in to the dealer I had warranty coverage by the end of the day. Not impressed by how Indian puts the fenders together. The top crown is spot welded to the side panels. There is no sealer on any of the seams in the inner part of both the fenders. Before I let them put the new fenders on I brought in some brushable undercoating and had the mechanics fill in and coat all the inner seams. So far no further issues. Dean
Ye took my fenders off and painted the inside with stone chip and filled the seams in I hope not to have a problem with them now.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
back of one of my mirror stems is starting to get some rust that can't be cleaned off......after a year they don't warrantee any of this stuff or so they say!
I did some touring along the coast in January. When I got home, I noticed that both of my mirror stems where rusting. I had them both replaced under warranty.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Had my Chief Vintage from June 2015 have 1,250 miles on her, had the rear brake master cylinder done, also had a previous rust issue corrected under warranty, yes I have soft paint (it looks like Torvel and Dean has practiced on it), I have top end noise (clack) the rear drive is noisy, all dismissed by Polaris UK "we have no knowledge of any issues" The dealer I bought it from has not answer my email questions, and now I find the front and rear wheel rims are showing rust bubbling through the chrome (not rode the bike all winter). In the UK its a bank holiday so will be reporting it this Tuesday hopefully the service center that is not a dealer but is authorized to service Indians and Victory's can put a warranty claim in for me, Still love the bike but its wearing thin. Wish me luck.
No idea why but Suzuki and others including HD have put out service bulletins since the 70's about UK rust prevention and problems. Metric bike chrome always got pitted and even peeled on bikes sitting in garages. UK and northern Europe.

Its not just Indian/Polaris.

·
Bronze member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No idea why but Suzuki and others including HD have put out service bulletins since the 70's about UK rust prevention and problems. Metric bike chrome always got pitted and even peeled on bikes sitting in garages. UK and northern Europe.

Its not just Indian/Polaris.
My 1976 GL1000 has all its original chrome and is still in good condition. And has I've said all bikes will rust at some point in there life's.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
I understand that ................. but remember vividly when that subject came up and the service bulletins. Some suggested spraying down the bike with WD40 if stored for any length. Long or short. I can't comment here as my bikes never spend the night outside, never see rain, and are always garaged. And I'm in a dry climate in AZ ( 15% humidity ) or in FL and believe me, in FL I watch the mold and rust real close. Take care...............celebrate the weekend by having a haggis dinner.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
So far so good. My bikes never see artificial heat, I ride in the rain and even sometimes salty roads. Mud, manure, tar, and the occasional road kill. Sometimes the bike is so splattered with bugs and road grime it looks ten years old. The only thing that gets washed on multi week, multi thousand mile trips is the windshield. Once I get home it gets a spa day. There is no bike built that is too precious not to be ridden when I want to ride and where I want to ride. A little rust ain't going to scare me away unless its structural and comprises safety. Go for a ride.

·
Bronze member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I understand that ................. but remember vividly when that subject came up and the service bulletins. Some suggested spraying down the bike with WD40 if stored for any length. Long or short. I can't comment here as my bikes never spend the night outside, never see rain, and are always garaged. And I'm in a dry climate in AZ ( 15% humidity ) or in FL and believe me, in FL I watch the mold and rust real close. Take care...............celebrate the weekend by having a haggis dinner.
I gave her a wipe round with ACF50 befor I put her away for the winter, this has helped with my other bikes over the years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts