Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this back yesterday. They re-did seat, driver's and passenger's backrest. Very nice workmanship and so far very pleased. Seat is a little stiff but according to Russell will break in over next 500-100 miles. Also did raise me up an inch or 2 but no problems with reach (I'm 5-11 and 34 inseam) but expect will settle down a bit after break in. IMG_20200513_190941.jpg IMG_20200513_190935.jpg IMG_20200513_191007.jpg IMG_20200513_190914.jpg IMG_20200513_190715.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Nice. I've been on the fence of doing a RDL seat for the past year or more. I put in my order form yesterday. Waiting to hear back for my production date.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s the first one I’ve seen with the diamond stitch like that. Looks good, did you request that pattern?
Yes that is a custom stitch pattern. Combination of their half moon and small diamond stitch. Got the idea from another guy on this forum. Had to pay a little more for it but I really think it looks best for Roadmaster seat.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
439 Posts
I found I had to slide forward in the seat when stopping due to height increase. No big deal, you get used to it. 32" inseam

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,819 Posts
I found I had to slide forward in the seat when stopping due to height increase. No big deal, you get used to it. 32" inseam
That’s the very thing I don’t like about mine, I do slide forward when I stop but don’t want to. They said it was designed that way just for the height challenged. I don’t need nor want it. Fixed it myself rather than send it back.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
439 Posts
When they rebuild your stock seat they make the seat wider (which makes it more comfortable), but you have to move forward to the narrow part of the seat to plant your feet. This was once my stock seat. Had to keep it simple as this was a one day ride-in.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
I currently have a Ultimate seat and have to move forward a bit when stopping. After a couple of days it was a non issue, after all most of your time on the bike is riding not stopped. I have a production date of July 7 for the Day Long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,555 Posts
Making it "wider" is part of the Russell magic. While the entire seat isn't wider, they do add bolsters that support your thighs, thus taking pressure off the tailbone, which is where most seat discomfort comes from. It does take some getting used to when you come to a stop, but it's like getting used to a new bike - it feels different but eventually it's common. You have to keep in mind they build the seat to be able to make the ride more comfortable, not the occasional stops.

I have had Russell's on two different bikes. It's been on my 2010 Vic Cross Country since 2011 (never needed a rebuild) and on my 2015 RM since 2015. Every touring bike I own , or will own, will ALWAYS have a Russell on them.

Reactions: RedRM and RATFINK2

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes that is a custom stitch pattern. Combination of their half moon and small diamond stitch. Got the idea from another guy on this forum. Had to pay a little more for it but I really think it looks best for Roadmaster seat.
Called RDL today and asked about that stitching pattern and his words were “I knew that would bite us in the ass.” LMAO.
So thanks, I’m getting it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Called RDL today and asked about that stitching pattern and his words were “I knew that would bite us in the ass.” LMAO.
So thanks, I’m getting it.

Ha! Good for you. You would think they would recognize how good that stitch pattern looks and sell it that way. I will be doing about 1300 miles over memorial day weekend so will be a good test for the new seat. I'll post with an update when I get back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha! Good for you. You would think they would recognize how good that stitch pattern looks and sell it that way. I will be doing about 1300 miles over memorial day weekend so will be a good test for the new seat. I'll post with an update when I get back.
Update on seat-. I would agree with everything that has been said regarding significantly better comfort over stock. The side or my arse used to burn after 3-4 hours and would squirm to find relief. That problem has totally gone away. I did one 650 mile, 12 hr day and never got sore. Seating height also settled back down to about 1 inch higher then stock. Stopping flat foot is no issue. Overall very pleased with it and looking forward to laying down many miles in the future.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks for the update. I heard alot of good reviews for RDL

·
Bronze member
1,848 Posts
When they rebuild your stock seat they make the seat wider (which makes it more comfortable), but you have to move forward to the narrow part of the seat to plant your feet. This was once my stock seat. Had to keep it simple as this was a one day ride-in.
This is my issue now and has been with both the OEM and my Ultimate Mid Riser (which I like) but I’m short at 5’7” with a 28-29” inseam. Even when I ride the seat puts pressure on the inside of my legs and groin area. I am more comfortable when my feet are planted on the footboards than on my toe pegs up or stretched out. As that puts more pressure on the crotch and upper inside legs area.
So I need a tad less wide, especially or mainly at the crotch area or neck of the seat at the gas tank.
Which is why I think RDL can help my situation. I still have my tan OEM seat I can send in.

·
Bronze member
1,555 Posts
This is my issue now and has been with both the OEM and my Ultimate Mid Riser (which I like) but I’m short at 5’7” with a 28-29” inseam. Even when I ride the seat puts pressure on the inside of my legs and groin area. I am more comfortable when my feet are planted on the footboards than on my toe pegs up or stretched out. As that puts more pressure on the crotch and upper inside legs area.
So I need a tad less wide, especially or mainly at the crotch area or neck of the seat at the gas tank.
Which is why I think RDL can help my situation. I still have my tan OEM seat I can send in.
When you start the RDL process, you will see how they truly build each seat to the rider. Measurements are made, photos are taken and many things go into consideration. If you ever plan on riding more than 3-500 miles a day, it's almost a must-have for people that don't like the stock seat.

Reactions: KevIndian

·
Registered
368 Posts
Looks good still after 4 years. What type of treatment do you put on the leather. I have seen alot of tan seats that look different than stick as if a treatment changed the seats appearance, making it darker looking or actually harder? More like a saddle for a horse

·
Registered
142 Posts

Got mine today and went for a short test ride. Feels good, can’t wait for a longer ride and good weather. Rain here for the next 5-6 days.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Got mine today and went for a short test ride. Feels good, can’t wait for a longer ride and good weather. Rain here for the next 5-6 days.

Glad your were able to talk them into doing that "custom" stitching design. I am loving mine and totally used to the new sit position at this point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts