1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
No, but I'm extremely interested.
Russell seats used to have a wire frame and spring arrangement at one time, but now use only controlled strength rubber to build their seats.
The whole secret to their success is that they build a seat that is wide enough to support the buttocks of most US citizens now. ;)
If anyone has cared to notice something that all the modern seat builders seem to have neglected is that the old time solo and sprung seats were much wider than anything that is offered now.
That is the reason that they were so popular and comfortable for many, many years.
It is something that 'to me' has been lost by modern seat builders.

Support of the whole body part.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Russell seats used to have a wire frame and spring arrangement at one time, but now use only controlled strength rubber to build their seats.
The whole secret to their success is that they build a seat that is wide enough to support the buttocks of most US citizens now. ;)
If anyone has cared to notice something that all the modern seat builders seem to have neglected is that the old time solo and sprung seats were much wider than anything that is offered now.
That is the reason that they were so popular and comfortable for many, many years.

I think you have a good point, Ron. I have an extra seat so I think I'll contact them.

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

@RBinTEX Just what I needed to hear - i'm sending them my extra saddle. I am also wondering what kind of magic they could work on a mothers roads custom??? hmmm?

·
10,006 Posts
I have an OEM seat and a OEM extended reach seat sitting in my junk box. It just might be worth the time and trouble?

·
10,006 Posts
They call them the Ugliest seat you will ever love!
Or something like that.

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They call them the Ugliest seat you will ever love!
Or something like that.
@RBinTEX not that we are getting old or anything but there comes a time in our lives when the tight seat of a young fast filly just fills the needs of the moment. While all along we know, deep in our hearts that our girl needs something, perhaps a little extra cushion for the long haul for the long haul.
Oh sure we can get in there and bring her up to speed, with hooting and hollering and all, but, the back, oh the back :rolleyes:o_O;) This Scout is a case in point. She's purty, real pretty, I'm wanting to throw a leg OR TWO over her and give her everything I got even if it means the end is near...
Black-Bullet-Scout-by-Jeb-S.jpg

·
10,006 Posts
@RBinTEX not that we are getting old or anything but there comes a time in our lives when the tight seat of a young fast filly just fills the needs of the moment. While all along we know, deep in our hearts that our girl needs something, perhaps a little extra cushion for the long haul for the long haul.
Oh sure we can get in there and bring her up to speed, with hooting and hollering and all, but, the back, oh the back :rolleyes:o_O;) This Scout is a case in point. She's purty, real pretty, I'm wanting to throw a leg OR TWO over her and give her everything I got even if it means the end is near... View attachment 30820
I love the look of that bike, but I'm not sure that I could 'assume the position' required to ride it very far with the rear sets and all.
Definitely don't think I would use it to be my tour bike.... LOL!

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am giving it some thought, but the over $500.00 price in leather scares me.
@RBinTEX according to Russell Day Long you would have to go with Bomber Tan to get a match to existing saddle bags etc... you could just do one seat in vinyl $370.00 ish, plus shipping. basically all the OEM seats have the same pan just different thickness of butt annoying foam.

·
10,006 Posts
Actually, I am pretty comfortable with my new Corbin Brave seat right now.
Only if I don't get better ride quality with my new iKon shocks on order from DarkScout in AU would I consider redoing the seat.
In fact I'm so dissatisfied with the ride quality of the Scout I might even consider a different bike of some kind.
Among these are the two new leaning bikes soon available.
One from Honda and one from Yamaha that have a leaning three wheel bike.
The Yamaha has twin forks on each side.

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The seat is growing on me everyday and I have learned things. tomorrows long ride will tell me more.

Attachments

·
10,006 Posts
I think you are going to have to get a lot more specific on your blue tape.
If they cut off what you taped it is going to be ruined and very bad looking.
The width is what is giving you the comfort, you need to work on the nose area contouring
Just my opinion..... just saying!

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you are going to have to get a lot more specific on your blue tape.
If they cut off what you taped it is going to be ruined and very bad looking.
The width is what is giving you the comfort, you need to work on the nose area contouring
Just my opinion..... just saying!
@RBinTEX both me and Russell day long decided the same thing - great minds think alike

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sure hope it works out well, looking forward to the final results. :)
@RBinTEX I am really growing to love this RDL seat. Tomorrow 4/3/16, I am going on a long ass ride and I will get to find out just how sweet this RDL is. I was way too premature in my initial thoughts about the seat - and I learned something today about the OEM pans that rock side to side. More on this later.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts