Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two averages: From when I acquired the bike, and this since 2017.
Obviously there's a gap from when I didn't track it.

Total data points: 15

TimeframeAvg MPG Poss MPT*
All51.267169.180
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*Possible Miles Per Tank

updated 9/7/17

Reactions: BlackedOutScout

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds pretty typical of the mpg that my Scout gets.
I've gotten as high as 56 mpg and never below 50....

Reactions: ScotD

·
Registered
372 Posts
Especially with lower speed back road driving (say around 55mph), getting over 50 is quite easy. The other day my fuel light didn't come on until 145 miles. At 152, I took just a bit under 3 gallons.

Mix in some highway, runs up the gearbox, and general enthusiasm with the loud knob, and I'm generally in the 42-45 range. I have got it as low as about 30 (I ran the tank dry in 105 miles), but that was almost exclusively in the triple digits the entire time.

That's with a flash, full exhaust, and intake.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Scout Sixty
Usually fill up around 130 miles and usually put less than 2.6 gal in, which doesn't necessarily prove my gas light is working, but does mean I have no reason to suspect it should have come on. I'm guessing I could probably get 150 or more until my bike would die along the road.

·
Silver member
3,464 Posts
My wife and I are both consistently about 46 MPH on our 2016 and 2017 Scout 60s. We don't push them that hard but like to do fast accelerations at times. By reading here for a while I think we are about average. Some in the 50s and some in high 30s have been reported.

·
Bronze member
1,950 Posts
I average 50mpg US and 60mpg UK
My average is your lows, wish I had that 50 mpg!
Of course I would expect the Scout Sixty to be better.
Guess I'm stuck with lower mpg like so many others, but I have yet to try for best mpg riding (lower speeds, slow take-off) so maybe that's it too.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,057 Posts
I ride too assertively. I get about 40 solo, and 55-60 in a chilled riding group.

·
Registered
140 Posts
What RPM do you usually run at or change gear at?

I like to be between 3000-3500rpm whenever possible, not lower and sometimes much higher, maybe if you cruise at lower rpm or higher rpm the milleage changes quite a bit.
I'm getting arround 47mpg US anyway wich is good enought for me.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What RPM do you usually run at or change gear at?
I like to be between 3000-3500rpm whenever possible, not lower and sometimes much higher, maybe if you cruise at lower rpm or higher rpm the milleage changes quite a bit. I'm getting arround 47mpg US anyway wich is good enought for me.
Not so much RPM as speed.
- Change to the next highest gear when my speed is at the typical lowest the bike runs smoothly in that next highest gear.
- Skip-upshift gears when I feel the need to accelerate quickly. (1,2,4,6)
- Clutch-coast to stop signs, red lights & tight turns.
- Rarely engine brake unless going through twisties briskly.

(MPG above updated)

Reactions: saxmaniac
1 - 10 of 10 Posts