Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to run an extra line for my Gerbing vest . On the fairing left side it looks like a cover for an access hole. Not sure I have not tried to pop it off. I am also wanting a line for my Garmin extra GPS. I usually run it from the battery but this batter is down low and front. Any one have a suggestion? The individual lines will of course be fused. Thank you Lee

·
Registered
122 Posts
I removed that left-side blank & installed this duel USB port... ran wires down to the battery. Hardest part was trying to thread the ringnut onto the back of the plug to secure it tight; tried but couldn’t. Ended up putting drops of superglue along the hole edge then pushed/held the plug in place.
Works. My phone mount is directly above on the left bar so it’s an easy & clean connect with a short 10” coiled cable. I searched Amazon & found this USB port with both jacks putting out 2.1, and without any led light (I wanted it drawing NO current when not in use.)

·
Silver member
4,984 Posts
Gman did you find any unused labeled connector wires in the dash. The older bikes had provisions already there so it just plug and play on the Chieftains and Roadmasters. You just have to find the labeled connector and your off to the races. No cutting and tapping into wires...

·
Registered
122 Posts
...pulling out the rubber cup you’ll see wires with connectors up there, 3 sets I think.
One wire set is used for the heated grips switch directly below that left side storage (mine has that.) I’m told another wire set up there is for “fog lights” according to the service manual wire diagram. Any other wires...? If I was smarter I probably could’ve connected those wires directly to power my usb socket,, but I simply ran wires down to the battery, following other wires tucked behind the radiator grill.

·
Bronze member
1,464 Posts
Mustang, where did you get your connection from? Gman, you could probably secure your set-nut by taking the fairing off and getting full access to that area from the front of the bike, vs. trying to access from the left side small dash compartment. Just a suggestion..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Plans to do this modification this weekend.

I'm blown away that on a 20K bike this socket is not already there and that we have to do these modifications just to charge anything up front on these bikes.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Founding member
457 Posts
Plans to do this modification this weekend.

I'm blown away that on a 20K bike this socket is not already there and that we have to do these modifications just to charge anything up front on these bikes.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
The right side storage compartment has a USB charging port in it to charge your phone. This modification makes it possible to charge your phone while it's mounted to the handlebar, without passing the charge wire through the storage compartment door.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The right side storage compartment has a USB charging port in it to charge your phone. This modification makes it possible to charge your phone while it's mounted to the handlebar, without passing the charge wire through the storage compartment door.
I originally used the USB port in the right hand storage compartment to charge my phone until I started using a flash drive there for my tunes.
I ran the cable from the plug out the back of the compartment and then up the handlebars to the phone mount. Worked great.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mustang, where did you get your connection from? Gman, you could probably secure your set-nut by taking the fairing off and getting full access to that area from the front of the bike, vs. trying to access from the left side small dash compartment. Just a suggestion..
HyeHog
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you - crazy week at work.
Here are some pics of the way my cable is run--
Loops around in compartment to give access to the in-line fuse, then follows another cable down to the battery.
It looks to me that the only way to secure the plug is with an adhesive.
The back of the plug inside the compartment is right up against the corner with no room for the screw down ring.

IMG_0370_LI.jpg IMG_0375_LI.jpg IMG_0376_LI.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Gman did you find any unused labeled connector wires in the dash. The older bikes had provisions already there so it just plug and play on the Chieftains and Roadmasters. You just have to find the labeled connector and your off to the races. No cutting and tapping into wires...
There are several unused connectors in the dash on this bike. As Gman has said, there are three small connectors inside the left storage compartment. Two connectors are for the heated grips and the third is for the fog button that goes into the hole where the plug is. The fog button connector does have switched power on the red wire, but it is a very small gauge wire and is used to light the LED in the fog button and send a pulse to a future VCM. I'm not sure how much charging power that 22ga wire would provide.

Inside the fairing, above the fog button, TechRider found a unused 20 pin connector that is also for the future VCM. That connector has two switched (pink) wires as well as two full time 12v (red) wires. That connector is tied to a 25 amp fuse and I think there is plenty of juice there. There is also another 20 pin connector on the opposite side of the fairing that is waiting for the upgraded audio system. I have not tested that connector yet.

·
Bronze member
1,464 Posts
Mustang, Grish and Gman, thanks for the input. Much appreciated. I don't know why Indian makes it so complicated with this install. The bike has more electronics and computers than the Space Shuttle....how much more would it have cost to wire up a live outlet to that left side power port????!! That should have been standard equipment, like it is on the OLDER, previous touring model bikes!!!! Thnx again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts