Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, a little ways off yet, but early planning on this will garner us prime location for the event. Everyone on the East Coast is going to want to witness this event (the next total eclipse isn't until 2024). I believe motels and hotels in the area will sell out quickly.

Originally posted in the IIRA forum as an inquiry, there was mention of a gathering in KY. I've looked into this a bit more. Here is what I found:

The Wig Wam Village (a suggested motel) location is about two hours away from where the total eclipse will be in KY. Although near Mammoth Cave, in Cave City, the Wig Wam venue looks like it could be fun. Other venues (KOA, motels, etc.) may not offer up as much space and a gathering area as the WigWam. Also, the eclipse is in the SW part of KY. It traverses across central TN and across SW NC - right across the southern tip of the Great Smokey Mountains.

In NC, it traverses right over Tellico Plains and Robinsonville, right over Deals Gap, and the Dragon. A perfect venue for a Tribal Gathering, IMO. I looked into the Two Wheels Inn, in the area. Relatively inexpensive, convenient. We could block a bunch of rooms. This allows us to run the Cherahola Skyway to view the Total Eclipse, and affords beaucoup riding possibilities before and after the eclipse.

So . . . . I am suggesting a Tribal Travel Gathering in the TN/NC area of the Smokey Mts. for August 20-22, 2017. Several MC resorts (motels or camp areas) are available for the picking. But as stated above, we will need to plan early as another opportunity for a Total Eclipse (in the US) isn't until 2024. Many people are going to want to see this, many bikers, and a lot of attraction to the Smokey Mt. area (it is summer vacation for many).

Make note here if you are interested. I'll keep a list. When we can book accommodations, we have an idea of how many.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll most likely be headed to Serpent Mound here in Ohio.....you can read about it here....

Serpent Mound | Ohio Historic Site | Ohio History Connection

it's about 30-40 miles from me.....

Fort Ancient another Indian burial area with burial mounds is about 15 miles from me.....

Fort Ancient Archaeological Park

There are some really cool celebrations at Serpent Mound. Tribes still come there to partake in their ceremonies........
Yeah, familiar with Serpent Mound. Very ancient.
From what I've read, a Total Solar Eclipse it isn't "celebrated" by Native Americans, most especially by the Navajo. In fact it is considered a bad omen, however some may perform certain ceremonies to return the sun back from darkness. Not well versed in the First People's customs, so don't really know much.

Therefore, I wouldn't expect any native American Ceremony. But all the Palefaces will be out in hordes!

·
Registered
458 Posts
There is already an Indian gathering in Maggie Valley in June. Not sure I could swing two of those events in one season, but I am still interested. Amazing how much attention casting a large shadow gets!

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is already an Indian gathering in Maggie Valley in June. Not sure I could swing two of those events in one season, but I am still interested. Amazing how much attention casting a large shadow gets!
Jimmy - this is for the year 2017, not this June. BTW, I'll be there come this June 10-12.

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm interested, @EskimoQuinn Quinn! Put me on your list, as soon as I check my schedule, I will let you know.
Hi Dan - PM me your email address, and I'll put you on the 'Interested Parties' list.

EVERYONE - I just started a "Interested Parties" list. If interested for updates and offline communications, PM me your EMail address. I figure that over time, more and more will want to do this. But only a relatively small group will be able to stay at the same motel location - thus my starting this early. I want to block out the whole motel for the date.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Jimmy - this is for the year 2017, not this June. BTW, I'll be there come this June 10-12.
Thanks for pointing out that I can no longer read properly! May well be able to travel then in 2017. Still interested. See you in June!

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
I'm very intrested, only problem is getting Carly Simon's song "Your So Vain" out of my head. I usually take the month of August off every year for motorcycling.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yeah, familiar with Serpent Mound. Very ancient.
From what I've read, a Total Solar Eclipse it isn't "celebrated" by Native Americans, most especially by the Navajo. In fact it is considered a bad omen, however some may perform certain ceremonies to return the sun back from darkness. Not well versed in the First People's customs, so don't really know much.

Therefore, I wouldn't expect any native American Ceremony. But all the Palefaces will be out in hordes!
They do indeed have several ceremonies a year at Serpent Mound......I'm not sure about the eclipses, but they are there other times for sure. I'll see if I can find the schedule and post it.....

·
Super Moderator
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Need HELP !!

Need detailed information on milepost marks of overlooks for the Cherohala Skyway, along with elevations. I have an elevation map and could transfer the data collected. I also need climate data at those elevations - fog, clouds, etc. - all for selecting a gathering spot for biking participants and photography. We may need to "reserve" an area and cordon it off. I've exhausted research on this subject and it is lacking.

I have (and continue to) accumulated some motel and/or camping info that can accommodate a group of potentially 25-50 riders and passengers or more. I can still use recommendations for that as well.
WHY, you ask? I believe when this cosmic event happens, it will be totally booked - everywhere in the Eastern TN, Western NC and Smokey Mts area.
This rare event (total darkness) and won't happen again in pristine MC riding areas again for another 100 years (in the US anyway).

Over the next 18 months I'll be planning, coordinating, negotiating, etc., for this 3-day Grand Gathering of a Run to the Sun. If anyone is interested in helping, please PM me. As time draws near, much will need to be done, but a council of, say 4-5 folks, could make things smooth, easy, and beneficial for all.

This ride will have to be limited to the number of bikes allowable to the selected viewing area. Unless an alternative is developed. I'm not sure how many bikes can park in the identified overlook and afraid that only a few will be able to park. Thus, an alternative location might be Rhea Springs Recreation Area, near Spring City, TN. But that is 2 1/2 hrs away from Cherohala and the Dragon. So info on that area would be good too.

Two other alternative locations areas near:
Andrews, NC - US Rt 74
Rainbow Springs, NC - US Rt. 64 southwest of Franklin, NC

So information on large viewing areas along those routes would also be welcome.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Done. Dan Frisbie is participating as well.
Why is nobody talking about the 2016 Annual Ride to Lynchburg, TN?
I was there and so were you last year. It was awesome. I can't make it this time are you going?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts