Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RFTW came through St. Louis last night. Their Outreach group stopped at the Warrenton's Tribute to Veterans Memorial to present a few Gold Star Families some mementos and to honor our Fallen. Thank you to a fine group of patriots!

(I guess you can pick me out of the group)

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,029 Posts
Great Americans. They have been riding through some nasty weather on the central route this year. I just wonder if RFTW will survive since Rolling Thunder is being discontinued.

·
Super Moderator
5,715 Posts
Great Americans. They have been riding through some nasty weather on the central route this year. I just wonder if RFTW will survive since Rolling Thunder is being discontinued.
From what I hear, RFTW will continue. One focal point near DC will be Ft Washington HD in southern MD - which is a current staging point already.

Rolling Thunder, the protest ride from Pentagon to the Wall is what is terminating - i.e., the staging at the Pentagon and ride across bridge to DC. Living near the Pentagon, I hear a lot of rumor, but one that has merit is that RFTW will morph into a new RT. Rather than staging at the Pentagon groups will stage at points in VA and MD and still ride to Wall on Sunday. There are several rides to the Wall already on Friday and Saturday, plus RT on Sunday.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,029 Posts
From what I hear, RFTW will continue. One focal point near DC will be Ft Washington HD in southern MD - which is a current staging point already.

Rolling Thunder, the protest ride from Pentagon to the Wall is what is terminating - i.e., the staging at the Pentagon and ride across bridge to DC. Living near the Pentagon, I hear a lot of rumor, but one that has merit is that RFTW will morph into a new RT. Rather than staging at the Pentagon groups will stage at points in VA and MD and still ride to Wall on Sunday. There are several rides to the Wall already on Friday and Saturday, plus RT on Sunday.
I understand that Rolling Thunder is the event that is terminating but for many Rolling Thunder was the purpose of joining the RFTW as it was the culminating event. I have gone "All the Way" five times on the RFTW and done shortened versions a couple other times and truly enjoyed the ride as you get to stop in so many great little towns, the real America is how I view it and you meet so many great people. Now the folks from Rolling Thunder plan to have multiple rides across the country to keep the mission alive so there could be some competition between the two organizations. I do know this, RFTW is a great event and I hope it continues as the experience is unlike any other. Not only that the small towns look for the yearly visit and it does boost their economy. The school stop in Rainelle, WV is the highlight for me and many, many others on the run. I hope the RFTW don't die off.

Reactions: PE4CE

·
Founding member
977 Posts
My Mrs and I rode past them as they headed into Junction City KS this past Sunday. Not as large as some years, but still a large group. Seems like there were more trikes than usual, the Mrs mentioned the same thing. Not surprised as the average age is creeping up. I was very surprised there was so few Indians in the group to be completely honest. I only counted 6, but think I must have missed some...?

Anyway, great ride and great Americans!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...The school stop in Rainelle, WV is the highlight for me and many, many others on the run.
Speaking of Rainelle, here is a picture of Medal of Honor recipient John Baca sitting in my memorial '51 Chevy at Rainelle. We took it on RFTW about 4 years ago.

John_Baca_MOH (4).jpg

Reactions: wildmandmc

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Mrs and I rode past them as they headed into Junction City KS this past Sunday. Not as large as some years, but still a large group. Seems like there were more trikes than usual, the Mrs mentioned the same thing. Not surprised as the average age is creeping up. I was very surprised there was so few Indians in the group to be completely honest. I only counted 6, but think I must have missed some...?

Anyway, great ride and great Americans!
There are now 3 routes instead of 2, so fewer riders on each route.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just curious....anyone planning on the RFTW in 2020? I just pre registered for the Midway Route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts