Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Run for the Wall 2015

4K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  DrZ 
#1 ·
I know this isn't really a general discussion of Indian Motorcycles but I wanted to put it somewhere.

I know we have many vets, some active duty military, and many supporters of the military here. I want to talk about the Run for the Wall. This is a group of people who ride for those who can't. If you want to ride all the way... you start in Rancho Cucamonga, CA and ride on one of three routes to meet up in Washington DC. If you are not interested in going all the way...there are daily stops where you can sign up and do a day ride or ride the rest of the way with us. We visit Veteran homes, schools, monuments across our great nation, and various cities. We support some schools and various charities through donations and raffles before and during the ride. The run is done with military precision. We ride in platoons either side by side or in a staggered formation. People line overpasses and on the side of the roads holding signs that say thank you for your service and we remember. They hold and wave flags...waving and cheering us on during this long and emotional ride. Our yearly FNGs get a chance to ride into Arlington Memorial gardens where we place a wreath at the tomb of the Unknowns. Some of the gas stops are financed for us by some unknown person or group and often we are met by people of the town with sandwiches and cold water. It is an experience you will not forget.

Many of us, myself included, are Vietnam Vets. For many, this is the first welcome home we have received. The image of tough old Marines are hard and emotionally controlled but I have to tell you, I spent part of the run with tears running down my face. I also shed those tears freely as I visited my family and friends who have their names cut into the wall. During the moments that I broke down....my brothers and sister surrounded me to make sure no tourist was snapping my picture to post on one of the social media sites.

This is only a brief overview of what happens on the run. I invite you to visit by clicking here and read about us and our history. This will be the 27th year of the run. If desired, you can take part of Rolling Thunder at the culmination of the run.

If you are interested, please join us. I would like to meet some of you F2F on the 2015 Run for the Wall.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

See less See more
#5 ·
Semper Fi my brother.

Yes...part of the run is doable. I think it will bring back many memories.
Thank you for your service.
Semper Fi,
DrZ

#6 ·
I have done the RFTW 5 times. Twice I have done it all the way, once on my H-D and once on my Victory. This year I will do it on my Indian. I'll leave TN and meet up with buddies I served with in Colorado Springs, then to RC. We travel the Central Route as it is like a reunion every year. No matter how many times I do the RFTW seeing the folks holding flags at desolate overpasses, the welcome you get in towns all the way across America, the kids in Rainelle...man it fogs up my eyes and puts a lump in my throat. Each stop brings back memories of those I served with and gave their all, and I served with some of the very best America has to offer over 26 years of service. I will be looking for ya'll on the road!

#7 ·
Semper Fi my brother and thank you for your service.
I understand what you mean about foggy eyes and a lump in the throat. It brings back memories and questions about where these people were 40+ years ago. Slowly through RFTW, I am letting go of the anger I have carried for so many years.
Since I do the southern route....perhaps we can meet up in DC.
Again...Semper Fi,
DrZ

Reactions: clif02
#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for your service. The welcome home for our Vietnam Vets took way too long. I enlisted in 73 which was not a popular thing to do so I am of the era and understand. I did not serve in Vietnam but have a special respect for those that did as my mentors and role models did serve there.

Reactions: DrZ
#10 ·
26 years is a long time. I am proud to call you my brother. Many did not serve in Vietnam but were there everyday and ready to go if ever called. Every person in the military during that time was an integral part of the team. You know the old saying....for one set of boots on the ground... 5 to 10 more supported them.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

#9 ·
DrZ, I was looking at this a few days ago. Do you have any idea when they will update everything in anticipation of 2015?
This is something that I'd like to do.

#11 ·
Dan,
After the new year they will start firming up everything. They are currently in planning and working deals with the hotels and such.
Join the page and you will see the updates start rolling out.
Semper Fi,
DrZ

Reactions: Dan_Frisbie
#12 ·
26 years is a long time. I am proud to call you my brother. Many did not serve in Vietnam but were there everyday and ready to go if ever called. Every person in the military during that time was an integral part of the team. You know the old saying....for one set of boots on the ground... 5 to 10 more supported them.

Semper Fi,
DrZ
While I missed Vietnam I did get to take part in everything after that except Grenada. One team, one fight! Airborne All The Way!

#15 ·
Caveman,
Visit May 14 - 23, 2014 : Run For The Wall Motorcycle Event: We ride for those who can't : POW-MIA and start reading. There are many hints and clues concerning the run that will help you. FNGs always over pack and tend not to be butt ready or emotionally ready for the miles and the run. I was the same way on my FNG year but I did that one on a Goldwing so I had more packing space than I knew what to do with. I don't care when or who you served with or if you served in a combat role or not, but the emotion on the run is overwhelming. You will have moist eyes at sometime during that run.

When you visit the site, you will see the 3 routes. Two of them are older, well established routes and one had it's first year in 2014. Because you are in Colorado, you can do the Central route and meet up with the run in at one of the registration points. You can also ride out to Rancho Cucamonga CA and go all the way if that is your desire.

I will be taking the Southern route simply because it signs up people close to my home in Grand Prairie, Texas. I might be able to go all the way but the miles are starting to catch up with me plus I still don't have this knee replacement working properly!

Either way.... I would welcome another rider on the run.

Thank you for your service my brother.
Semper Fi,
DrZ

Reactions: CavemanHHH
#16 ·
Thanks DrZ
I would take the southern route due to having a son in Dallas & a Daughter with Grandkids in Mansfield TX. My 12 years with the VA was in Dallas. Moved out of Mansfield 3 years ago. We probably crossed paths at the Big Toy Run, or the toy ride in Ellis County.
My 1st 1000 mile ride I way over packed. Now I take stuff I can throw away after the first few days. My ride to the HD 100th I mailed stuff home. My last ride from Mansfield toToronto, I had it down.
Having worked at the VA I have lived the honor of treating vets, hearing their stories, & seeing the impact they made on this country. A visit to the VA is the best way to see the price of Freedom!

#17 ·
Thanks DrZ
I would take the southern route due to having a son in Dallas & a Daughter with Grandkids in Mansfield TX. My 12 years with the VA was in Dallas. Moved out of Mansfield 3 years ago. We probably crossed paths at the Big Toy Run, or the toy ride in Ellis County.
My 1st 1000 mile ride I way over packed. Now I take stuff I can throw away after the first few days. My ride to the HD 100th I mailed stuff home. My last ride from Mansfield toToronto, I had it down.
Having worked at the VA I have lived the honor of treating vets, hearing their stories, & seeing the impact they made on this country. A visit to the VA is the best way to see the price of Freedom!
Well my friend...if you lived in Mansfield then you obviously know where Grand Prairie is. The run rolls into the Dubiski Career Center on a Saturday and are fed. There will also be sign up that evening. The next morning, we meet in the WalMart parking lot where there area also signups. Then it is on the road.
Since you will be on the southern route....we can meet f2f. I will introduce you to my riding brother Wrong Way Mike. In preparation for the ride, I visit various recruiting stations and get pens, pencils, and anything else I can get. We give these out to the children at some of our stops.
It will be an experience you never forget.
Yes...visiting the VA will show you the price and cost of freedom...and often that cost is ridiculously high!!!
Semper Fi,
Z

#20 · (Edited)
My home is about 1 mile due north of Joe Pool. I never got anything from the Prosthesis department. The VA and I never got along very well. I fought that battle for years and finally gave up. It is OK....something I have accepted. I told them when I retire, I will cancel all my insurance and then they can no longer refuse to treat me! LOL...part of the game.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

#19 ·
The www.rftw.org website is updated and the dates for the run are published. Click on "Newsletters" and the October 2014 Newsletter is there and provides a good bit of info. The start point for 2015 will not be Rancho Cucamonga but Ontario. It seems the hotels in RC can't properly house all the participants so the Host hotel and start point will be in Ontario. You do get Hotel discounts for being part of the run and they begin taking reservations in January. Hope this info helps. I hope to see, meet you who participate on the RFTW. I'll be at the start point in May!

#21 ·
The registration for the 2015 Run for the Wall is open at May 13 - 22, 2015 : Run For The Wall Motorcycle Event: We ride for those who can't : POW-MIA . If you are on the Central or Mid routes, the hotels are posted. For those of us going on the southern route, the hotels will be posted end of Jan or early February. On the southern route, we are planning a pre-run on the weekend of the 18th of April. We leave from a location in Dallas and usually ride to Shreveport LA. This gives the FNGs a taste for riding in formation and a chance to meet some of those who will be doing the southern route.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

#23 ·
Having participated in runs in the 80's and 90's, I will most likely be riding in it again this year (if all goes as planned). Nice thing for me is I ride at the head of the run into DC and the Wall. I live in Maryland and belong to Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) Montgomery Co. Chapter which has always led the parade in - either by bicycle and/or motorcycle. Been talking to my group about repeating this year on an Indian.

BTW, if anyone is interested in the sacred honor of washing the wall, my VVA chapter is the only Congressionally sponsored organization for that privilege. Join us the first Saturday of the month at 6:00AM (except Nov-Mar), at the Wall - a very humbling but exhilerating activity.

Semper FI !

#24 ·
Just a quick update on the RFTW. The routes are etched in stone however the hotels for the southern route are still up in the air. People are signing up and the store is open for purchase of memorabilia and to give away at our various stops. If you are considering going...and have not spent hours in the saddle...please start ASAP. The run is stressful from the standpoint of riding in formation...either side/side or staggered. The fuel stops are a thing of beauty and timed precision. Read all you can because it will all be valuable during the run.

I hope to meet some of those who haunt these halls during the run.

Semper Fi,
Z

#25 ·
My hope is to meet some of my fellow Indian riders and forum members on the RFTW. I'll be headed to California soon and dang, I can't wait! I guess a 6200 mile trip on the RM should give me plenty of time to enjoy it!

#28 ·
All the information is published. The routes, hotels, and itineraries are published.
Read at the RFTW web site. Grab all information you can....it will help.

Semper Fi,
Z

#29 ·
#30 ·
DrZ, I hope to meet you somewhere on this journey. I am leaving here the 7th and headed to Colorado Springs to meet up with our group and then on the 9th we head to California. When we hit DC we are staying at the Days Inn, 3030 Columbia Pike in Arlington. Ride safe, stay safe. Clif

#32 ·
I will have to check with my buddy to see where we are staying. ATW eh? You are tougher than I am! I keep saying I am going to do it but adding 1500 miles from home to CA and then ATW to DC and 1700 back home? I am not sure I am ready for that. I will pm you my phone number so when we get there...we can meet up.

Semper Fi,
Z

#34 ·
The Roadmaster is aired up, oiled up, cleaned up and loaded up! At 0600 hours tomorrow morning it is hit the starter, kickstand up and the journey begins. I hope to make Salinas or Hays, KS day 1. Colorado Springs where I hook up with my comrades on day 2. Then it is on to California before the trek to DC begins. May you all be blessed with a safe and fun ride. Take care. Clif

#36 ·
2 and a wake up! I will be joining the Run for the Wall on Sunday morning 5/17. I will be leaving at 8AM CST. Hope to see some of you in DC or on the run in you are taking the Southern route.

Semper Fi,
Z

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.