Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CDH
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of the rules of four(4) when it comes to cruise control. However, I've been in 3rd gear at 31 mph on cruise control and haven't had any issues on my 2019 CDH. Will this cause any long term affects or damage? It's usually for about 5 mins or so. Thanks

·
Administrator
14,732 Posts
Never heard of that rule — what is it?

I personally wouldn’t turn on cruise for anything under highway speed — 60mph or up. But damage? Dunno. I would think it’d be lugging like crazy. Does it lurch or jump at that low speed?

·
German Rider
1,512 Posts
Why not. Depends on speed, gear and road conditions.

Example :
20mph zone, no stops or traffic signals, but heavyly radar enforced. As long as the engine is not surging/lugging, it is okay.

That's what I do, did and will do.

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: oldhippie

·
Registered
2019 CDH
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not. Depends on speed, gear and road conditions.

Example :
20mph zone, no stops or traffic signals, but heavyly radar enforced. As long as the engine is not surging/lugging, it is okay.

That's what I do, did and will do.

Cu,
Sven
That's the scenario that I use it except in a 30 mph stretch of road. The RPM is around 2k. And like you said it's not surging

·
Bronze member
5,086 Posts
I've never heard of the rules of four for cruise control, so I went looking.

Disney Resorts have a rule of four for bookings, and there's The Cruise Control Diet that has four rules. And that's all I could find. What am I missing?

·
Founding member
2,171 Posts
The early 111s only permitted the cruise control to be activated in gears 4-6; however, the users manual said the lower speed limit was 20 mph. Not sure about the "rule of fours" ... probably something a dealer made up and shared.

·
Registered
2019 CDH
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never heard of the rules of four for cruise control, so I went looking.

Disney Resorts have a rule of four for bookings, and there's The Cruise Control Diet that has four rules. And that's all I could find. What am I missing?
I came across it when I was looking at the Indian 'How to' video about the Indian Chieftain features.

·
Registered
2019 CDH
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The early 111s only permitted the cruise control to be activated in gears 4-6; however, the users manual said the lower speed limit was 20 mph. Not sure about the "rule of fours" ... probably something a dealer made up and shared.
You're right about the dealer. I forgot which dealership she said she was from in the video, but she was the first person I heard say it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My cruise control won't even set at that speed (I have actually tried). Like
jayred1 previously posted. I can do an experiment tomorrow if i remember and let you know what gear and or speed it will set at.

Reactions: evallade

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've heard of the rules of four(4) when it comes to cruise control. However, I've been in 3rd gear at 31 mph on cruise control and haven't had any issues on my 2019 CDH. Will this cause any long term affects or damage? It's usually for about 5 mins or so. Thanks
Not aware of any damage; but I've never engaged cruise control at less than highway speeds?

·
Registered
165 Posts
OK, i got back from a ride today. My Roadmaster is a 2016. I could not engage the cruise control in 3rd gear, even with the RPM's up and riding at 50 MPH. However i could set it in 4th gear and ride at a speed as low as 35 MPH. It was really lugging at that speed in 4th. So Jayred1 is correct for my year, cruise control will only engage in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear.

Reactions: evallade

·
Registered
2019 CDH
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, i got back from a ride today. My Roadmaster is a 2016. I could not engage the cruise control in 3rd gear, even with the RPM's up and riding at 50 MPH. However i could set it in 4th gear and ride at a speed as low as 35 MPH. It was really lugging at that speed in 4th. So Jayred1 is correct for my year, cruise control will only engage in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear.
Thanks for trying it out. I now have a better idea of the difference in cruise control system on the different year bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts