Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New lurking user and a semi new FTR1200s owner. Unfortunately my first post isn’t a good one! Was doing something on the bike and a cable rested on the hot exhaust. When I pulled it off it took the finish off :(

Anyone know if this can be fixed? It’s in a horrible spot! :(

thanks in advance

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red scotch bright, then white scotch bright, then start the patina process over. The pipes will yellow or get that golden tint again over time.
That is a factory coat though isn’t it? Will it blend nice?

Only have 600mi on bike so you can imagine my disappointment.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I think he’s saying you can scrub them clean and let them blue naturally. On the other hand, you could take them off and have them ceramic coated. Lot of color options.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I don't believe there's a finish on the pipes. If you take the scotchbrite to it, it will take all that yellowing off and it will be the color of what your "stains" look like. You will have to scrub the entire header tough, not just those spot or it will look way off. The entire header will yellow again uniformly over time. I clean my headers probably once a month to keep them "clean" and not yellowed (others clean them much more often and even use polish). Its personal preference on how you want yours to look. But then when you keep them with that patina and you spill something on them like you did, you'll have to clean them and start all over. I don't have a picture close up (I'm sure someone here does) but here's a picture of what they'll look like after you scrub them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem is I didn’t spill anything on it. The melted rubber on a black wire was on there and it dried. When I pulled it off, it pulled the gold coat off. So if I take my nail I could basically pull it off like a film coating and it’s just the steel under it. The gold looks great on it from the factory.

thanks for the idea both of you.

Bgillen yours looks good like that though!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Problem is I didn’t spill anything on it. The melted rubber on a black wire was on there and it dried. When I pulled it off, it pulled the gold coat off. So if I take my nail I could basically pull it off like a film coating and it’s just the steel under it. The gold looks great on it from the factory.

thanks for the idea both of you.

Bgillen yours looks good like that though!
Man dude. I’d pull those suckers off and have them ceramic coated in the gold of your choice. The gold really does look slick. You’re as picky as I am and that would drive me crazy. Especially if those spots blue up and there’s gold around them.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, I'm no chemist or scientist or anything so I'm not really sure how it works, but I'm pretty sure that yellowing is a bluing as Cameroni said. But if you don't clean it and get everything off, it will burn into the actual pipe and really stain it. I used to like mine yellow like that, but spent more time worrying about not touching them or spilling anything on them where I could just be cleaning them monthly and it still looks good the way it is without the yellowing.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I really like the straw yellow come gold look myself. Can’t see myself cleaning them at all. I reckon I’ll just let them go...👍😎🇦🇺

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I’d like to get it back to the factory look. Really love that color. Guess I will see what dealer says they’d recommend. Might just scotch bright them and if I don’t like it then I just coat them!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They would discolor anyway, they’re exhaust headers... hit a puddle, pick up some road debris...
I get that what I don’t understand is why it’s peeling off. If it were discoloring, wouldn’t that be the metal itself? What’s on there now is bumpy and peels off. If it were patina it wouldn’t peel??

·
Bronze member
2,221 Posts
Hmm ... a good reason to start saving for a badass aftermarket complete exhaust system?

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,161 Posts
Ruined??? Not at all, just needs a little time, effort and elbow grease on your behalf to bring them up to former glory. 4000 miles on mine, ridden in the Winter and it looks like new. I clean mine regularly with red Scotch Brite and a dab of Autosol. The yellowing is a natural patina that occurs with the stainless through the heating and cooling process, nevertheless the pipes do get staining splashes on them when riding in the wet. As luck would have it I have just polished the stains out on the rear cylinder upper pipe only but only the two areas where the staining was as you can see, on the goose neck as I call it and the two into one union. I can assure you once I have covered a few miles the entire exhaust will return to it's all over golden hue. If you can physically peel anything off I strongly suspect this will be down to maybe a lacquer or something from the melted cable manufacturing process that has adhered to the finish. I used to polish the lot but soon realized if you just do the affected area it soon returns to the same shade of gold as the rest. Get polishing. I have noticed mine are turning a bit bluer up top since the mix has been enrichened with the FM tune.

·
Bronze member
2,221 Posts
actually I would not mind some yellowing on something like this:

ya ... I know its not an FTR ... but FAB28 could do it for the FTR as well

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 49 Posts