Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remove the headlight cowl and just run with the bare headlight assembly, is it ok to remove the rubber ring? I am looking at a Dart flyscreen and installation of this requires that the headlight cowl be removed. Obviously I'd prefer the rubber ring not to be there, as it ruins the look, but is it safe to remove? How does the regular Scout deal with the problem of no rubber ring?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I assume your trying trying to do away with the bobber headlight nacelle and a rubber ring behind it. If so I’d recommend going to a standard scout headlight.
Here’s a link it’s fairly priced.
This will get rid of the ring, and give you a place to put the wires so there not all bunched up in that dumb wire roll thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume your trying trying to do away with the bobber headlight nacelle and a rubber ring behind it. If so I’d recommend going to a standard scout headlight.
Here’s a link it’s fairly priced.
This will get rid of the ring, and give you a place to put the wires so there not all bunched up in that dumb wire roll thing.

Would using this also work?

Take out the ring and stretch out this sealant tape to take the place of the rubber ring.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Alright, I had to find a picture to find out exactly what your talking about to refresh my memory as I don’t have a bobber. But I do have a scout with a fairing. The fairing has a rubber boot that looks to be the same concept. If you take the bottom bolt out and remove the headlight from the bucket, you should be able to just remove that rubber piece. As long as after you reassemble, the headlight fits good and snug in the bucket you should be good to go. Don’t think you’ll have to add anything.
Edit- just noticed it looks like the bobber has two bolts on the sides that hold the headlight in. If so forget about what I said about removing the bottom bolt. Should still be the same process from there though. As long as the headlight doesn’t rattle in the bucket without the rubber.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I had to find a picture to find out exactly what your talking about to refresh my memory as I don’t have a bobber. But I do have a scout with a fairing. The fairing has a rubber boot that looks to be the same concept. If you take the bottom bolt out and remove the headlight from the bucket, you should be able to just remove that rubber piece. As long as after you reassemble, the headlight fits good and snug in the bucket you should be good to go. Don’t think you’ll have to add anything.
Edit- just noticed it looks like the bobber has two bolts on the sides that hold the headlight in. If so forget about what I said about removing the bottom bolt. Should still be the same process from there though. As long as the headlight doesn’t rattle in the bucket without the rubber.
There won't be a problem with potential moisture creeping in? Isn't that why the rubber ring is there?

·
Registered
207 Posts
There won't be a problem with potential moisture creeping in? Isn't that why the rubber ring is there?
The ring is there to keep wind from going between space of the headlight and nacelle, and also to fill the gap. I believe the backside of the bobber headlight bucket is completely open, and the wires are in that roll thing above the headlight. So if you’re really worried about moisture, my best advise is to get the stock scout headlight I first mentioned. Especially, since as I mentioned there’s quite a big hole on the backside of the bobber bucket I don’t think you’ll be able to fill. I would also keep that butyl tape far away from a motorcycle. I had a bad experience with that stuff when I was a kid, and needless to say it got all over me and my grandmothers Lincoln. It was like tar on a hot day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts