Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rider
1,142 Posts
I test rode a 650 twin. Very smooth. I would raise the handlebars and get a softer seat. But it's a nice bike and it fills a niche that's been severely neglected. Royal Enfield is serious about the USA market. 3 year unlimited mileage warranty with free road service? If I were looking for a mid sized bike I would give the 650 a very serious look.

I could adjust the valves on it, unlike my Scout, the good part of old school.

·
Registered
475 Posts
And old school reliability. I like the look but I have heard that keeping them running properly can be a challenge.
That is a big reason why I didn't even consider looking at them very closely when shopping for a second, smaller bike. I haven't read anything solid about them being reliable/trouble-free.

·
Bronze member
3,398 Posts
actually I've heard from people that own them quite the opposite... they run fine and are very easy to keep running... yes they require some love.. but I guess I and the guys I hang with like to do that and it's part of the deal.. I don't think they became the worlds largest motorcycle builder by building junk..

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Enfield has upgraded thier motorcycles over the past few years. Fuel injection, etc, etc.
If I wanted a mid sized motorcycle it would be a contender. They sell a massive amount of motorcycles since 1901. 700,000 to 900,000 a year. Crazy.
My preference is the 2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, a Cafe racer style. The Himalayan looks like fun too. The Classic 500 mentioned is very nice. The INT650 is as well. Damn. They all look great.

·
Bronze member
1,943 Posts
Not enough dealers and what about parts availability?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,101 Posts
That's the biggest drawback the brand has. Dealers are very scarce and parts possibly hard to come by.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
1. They have vastly improved the lines that make it to western world.

2. Yes, as of now dealer networking is smaller. But that is changing extremely rapidly.
2 years ago, there were no dealers anywhere near me.
This year, there are 3. 2 of them are also Indian dealers. I actually think there will be a time in the not so distant future they will become more prevalent than Indian dealers if they remain on current path.

3. There will be no shortage in replacement parts, or accessories.
They are one of, if not the largest mfgr of motorcycles on Earth. So, parts will be plenty, and cheap, New or used. You just have to do what most people do anyways, and order it.

4. The aftermarket for them is exploding. The 650 is moving from cult status, in to a common status in regards to them being a base for the growing custom market they are experiencing.

5. Flame me for saying this, but our bikes (USA) don't have a good reliability record. My experience reflect that stat perfectly.
I've had more issues with my 2 US bikes in the 4 years I've owned US than I've had in 10 years of simultaneously owning multiple Asian made bikes. Hell even my bad record having Euro bikes have been less problematic. So I think if we risk buying our (US) bikes knowing the stats, riding An RE should be no different, especially with how "simple" they are in their mechanics and Tech.

Watch out for these, they are coming on strong and also are/will be further entering competitions. I hear they are getting ready to get a factory team into AFT..

I've said it a million times, there is no better time to be a rider!

·
Rider
1,142 Posts
Our Indian dealer in Lexington, KY is an RE dealer. It is actually a good match. Brings in people with a wider range of interests. My research on the new 650 twins indicates RE has put real thought into them and is VERY serious about the North American market. They may not be up to metric quality yet, but I think that's coming. A 3 year warranty and road service says they are ready to rumble. These twins are designed for our market and they are a lot smoother than the singles. But RE is a company that designs for a high level of user serviceability because of the Indian market. I love my Scout, but it's user serviceability is pretty low compared to my Suzuki S40. I could set the valve clearances on the S40 and I could do them on the RE 650. $400+ adjustment saved is a nice start for personalizing a bike, especially one at this price.

I think that these 650 twins fill a niche that has great market potential. Sort of like when Honda came in the mid-late 60s and appealed to the non traditional (potential) rider. IDK what RE is planning, but if the 650s go well enough, I'd think a 750 added to the line later would be cool.

If you have a dealer in the area, take a test ride. It is a trip back in time if you, like me, once owned a Brit twin back in the day. I'm betting this bike is a heck of a lot better over all (except for handling) than my old BSA was.

Reactions: Hatt

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Our Indian dealer in Lexington, KY is an RE dealer. It is actually a good match. Brings in people with a wider range of interests. My research on the new 650 twins indicates RE has put real thought into them and is VERY serious about the North American market. They may not be up to metric quality yet, but I think that's coming. A 3 year warranty and road service says they are ready to rumble. These twins are designed for our market and they are a lot smoother than the singles. But RE is a company that designs for a high level of user serviceability because of the Indian market. I love my Scout, but it's user serviceability is pretty low compared to my Suzuki S40. I could set the valve clearances on the S40 and I could do them on the RE 650. $400+ adjustment saved is a nice start for personalizing a bike, especially one at this price.

I think that these 650 twins fill a niche that has great market potential. Sort of like when Honda came in the mid-late 60s and appealed to the non traditional (potential) rider. IDK what RE is planning, but if the 650s go well enough, I'd think a 750 added to the line later would be cool.

If you have a dealer in the area, take a test ride. It is a trip back in time if you, like me, once owned a Brit twin back in the day. I'm betting this bike is a heck of a lot better over all (except for handling) than my old BSA was.
Agreed.
Another way you can tell they are serious,, is the fact that they set up their North American HQ, in Milwaukee.... that is a pretty bold move IMHO...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I had one. Bullet 500. I treated it like a scooter. Only used it to run errands into town and on quiet country back roads for leisurely rides. Wouldn’t even think about taking it on the highway. They do turn heads with that old school classic look. Neat little bikes. They need regular maintenance to keep running, but they are fun for use as I outlined above. I sold mine last year. Just wasn’t riding it enough to justify keeping it.

View attachment 595132
DE30DFFC-8173-41FE-9F91-82A2E7B49E57.jpeg
]

·
Rider
1,034 Posts
Nice little bikes! A bit small in the engine for my tastes, but they do have a fantastic old school look. I am tho a fan of the Moto Guzzi Bobber Sport with 850cc engine, for in town errands and short commutes it would work well. =)

MGV9BSsm.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts