Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rox Risers Installation
2019 Indian Chieftain Limited with OEM Mid-Rise Handlebars

I've seen some very helpful posts from folks who've installed Rox Risers on their 2018 and earlier Chieftains, but none for the 2019. Since Indian introduced a redesigned faring for 2019, I'm offering up this "tutorial" for the 2019 install.​

Disclaimer: These are the steps I followed when installing the Rox Risers on my bike, and it was a successful install. There may be a better/easier way to do it, but these steps are what worked for me.

Good news:
The faring does not need to be removed, and the risers require no modifications to be installed on this bike. As you will see from the photos, I did some grinding on the risers, but later found it was unnecessary.

Step 1: The bolts supplied with the risers have a thick shouldered head, and will not work unless they are ground down. Before starting the install, I highly recommend finding replacement bolts that have a lower profile head, as pictured below. With these replacement bolts, it eliminates the need to do any grinding/modifying. Trust me . . . Lowe's ain't going to have them. Go to a specialty automotive fasteners store.

Step 2: You can do the install with the bike on the kickstand, but I found it helpful to have the bike on a jack stand. It kept the bike level, and allowed for turning the handlebars/faring left and right, which is definitely necessary.

Step 3: Remove the seat, and the two bolts that secure the gas tank. No need to remove the tank, but you can slide it back ~3 inches. You will need, and appreciate, the added working space. I also highly recommend protecting the tank with a tank cover, towels, or whatever you have that will do the job.

Note: At this point, and throughout the remainder of the install, an extra set of hands is not required, but HIGHLY recommended.

Step 4:
Remove the controls from the handlebars. There is a small cable connecting the left controls to the grip assembly. To disconnect that cable requires a very small (I'm thinking 1mm) allen wrench, which I did not have. So, I left it attached throughout the install. Would've been more convenient with it unattached, but it worked out. There are a couple cable clamps securing cables . . . Remove those.

Step 5: Remove the two 19mm bolts securing the stock risers to the triple tree, and remove the four bolts (two on each side) securing the handlebars to the risers.

Step 6: Secure the Rox Risers into the stock risers. You won't be able to access the top bolt on the stock risers once reinstalled on the bike. So, tighten the top bolt, and only snug the bottom bolts, as adjustment of the Rox Risers will be necessary. Reinstall the stock risers with the Rox Risers to the triple tree using the stock 19mm bolts.

Note: If you're using the bolts provided with the Rox Risers, this is what you will see. The screw head will make contact with the inner faring, and prevent you from being able to adjust the Rox Risers high enough so the risers and bars clear the tank once installed. So, you'll either have to grind down the supplied bolts, or get the aformentioned bolts with the low profile heads.

Note: If you've grinded the supplied bolt heads or used the replacement bolts with low profile heads, you will be able to adjust the Rox Risers higher into the inner faring, which is required for the risers and handlebars to clear the gas tank upon final installation.

Steps 7 - 15ish: Guys/Gals, you will spend the next several steps adjusting the risers and bars so that everything clears the tank, and the bar placement is comfortable to you. It's tedious and takes multiple tries, but is necessary. During this process, you will want to ensure the bars are perfectly centered, and the Rox Risers are perfectly aligned.

Once you've gotten the risers/bars adjusted to your liking, reinstall the gas tank and seat. Sit on the bike, and ensure everything is adjusted as necessary. If so, AWESOME! If not, remove the seat, pull the gas tank back, and adjust some more. I had to do this multiple times. Eventually, you'll get it the way you want it.

Ensure all bolts are tightened to manufacturers specifications. For added security/personal comfort, use blue loctite on all the fasteners. At the very least, use blue loctite on the 19mm bolts that secure the stock risers to the triple tree.

Step ??: Reattach/adjust the controls to the handlebars. Fully turn handlebars to the left/right to ensure everything clears, and no cables are stretched too tight. If any cables are too tight, you will need to go inside the faring via the headlight opening. Wires will likely be secured by wire ties, and you will need to cut them to allow enough slack in the cables. The dealership installed mid-rise bars on my bike, and I'm assuming they had already released slack in the cables, as I didn't need to.

The Rox Risers moved my handlebars back a full two inches, and up a little. I'm 5'7", so the reduced reach is exactly what I needed.

Finally, a few pics of the finished product. I hope this helps anyone wanting to install the Rox Risers on their 2019 Chieftain Limited.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Excellent information and write-up. Clean and well written.

Thank you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Was the purpose of your risers to raise your bars or bring them back toward you? I have them on my DR650 and 1190S and they offer a wide range of motion adjustment, not just "rise" as the name implies.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was the purpose of your risers to raise your bars or bring them back toward you? I have them on my DR650 and 1190S and they offer a wide range of motion adjustment, not just "rise" as the name implies.
It was all about bringing the bars closer to me . . . reducing the reach.

·
Registered
2021 CDH
105 Posts
This is exactly what I need to do on my 2021 CDH with mid-rise bars. Have to lift off seat almost for sharp turns:( Couple of inches back seems like it would help a lot

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This is exactly what I need to do on my 2021 CDH with mid-rise bars. Have to lift off seat almost for sharp turns:( Couple of inches back seems like it would help a lot
Rox Risers were the last ditch effort for me . . . if they didn't work, I had decided to get rid of the mid-rise bars. Fortunately, the risers were exactly what was needed to perfectly position the bars for my reach.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts