Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a brand new Indian owner, therefore please excuse my ignorance. I will be taking a 7-10 days through the Rockies in the latter part of June. Trying to plan this route out in detail. Is there a website, software or website that will allow you to draw or highlight the exact areas for your route including overnight stay locations? Thanks in advance.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,075 Posts
Rever is a pretty decent program. You can plan in routes, stay overs and fuel stops. There's an app, and a lot of options on the website as well...

You could also use calimoto, ride command, or the Harley Davidson app....

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
I am a brand new Indian owner, therefore please excuse my ignorance. I will be taking a 7-10 days through the Rockies in the latter part of June. Trying to plan this route out in detail. Is there a website, software or website that will allow you to draw or highlight the exact areas for your route including overnight stay locations? Thanks in advance.

Not only a website but an app as well. If you have a ride command unit on the bike, you can Bluetooth the route you created online.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
There are several threads here on ride planning software. I began using Tourstart.org then switched to Rever. Both are good, Rever has a more responsive web site and they are owned by the Butler map people. So, they have great maps.
Simple solution is to plan in Rever, export the file to your PC, import to Ride Command web site, verify the route, and either export to USB for upload to the bike, or (hope) it will sync to your Ride Command phone app then sync to the bike. A bunch of hoops to jump through, but once you have completed the sequence a couple of times, it is pretty easy.
Bonus Comment:
For route planning where I am looking for hotels, restaurants, points of interest, I generally pull up Google Maps, generate some idea in my head for where those stops should be in relation to my route.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are several threads here on ride planning software. I began using Tourstart.org then switched to Rever. Both are good, Rever has a more responsive web site and they are owned by the Butler map people. So, they have great maps.
Simple solution is to plan in Rever, export the file to your PC, import to Ride Command web site, verify the route, and either export to USB for upload to the bike, or (hope) it will sync to your Ride Command phone app then sync to the bike. A bunch of hoops to jump through, but once you have completed the sequence a couple of times, it is pretty easy.
Bonus Comment:
For route planning where I am looking for hotels, restaurants, points of interest, I generally pull up Google Maps, generate some idea in my head for where those stops should be in relation to my route.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Vintage, so no Ride Command and I use a Garmin GPS mounted to handlebar. If you have a Garmin GPS, you can download (for free) Garmin Base Camp. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it works well for me. Tip - Don't use "Trip", use several "Route" and string them together. Then upload to your GPS.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
I like the ride command sw. It worked great for me.
Not to be a smarta$$ response.
How are you using it? I find it OK for only the simplest routes.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've used the Harley Ride Planner website for the last few years in a row. Works great, you can export the routes to GPX files that will work on any system. I may try Indian's this year as I'm about to start planning my summer trip as well. Not sure if it works as well as the Harley one...

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Not to be a smarta$$ response.
How are you using it? I find it OK for only the simplest routes.
When I plan rides with the Ride Command, I usually pull up Google Maps on the computer at the same time and use that as a reference to find where I want to put my waypoints. Usually it boils down to "ok, I want to turn right at this traffic circle by the odd, L-shaped building", then finding the same geographical features on Ride Command and dropping a waypoint. Or, I will locate addresses in Google Maps, and search the same addresses in Ride Command.

Reactions: Wharf Rat

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use Google maps and my smartphone. You can teach the exact route you want simply by adding destinations. You can rearrange the destinations once they have been created.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I use Google maps and my smartphone. You can teach the exact route you want simply by adding destinations. You can rearrange the destinations once they have been created.
Yes, and I do the same in my van, which does not have built-in navigation. My RM, however, has Ride Command, which I prefer to use instead of having my phone clamped to my handlebars.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I have a pre-RideCommand RM and just have my phone mounted on the handlebar. I think it's what I would use if I had RideCommand anyway. I use my phone when in my cars that have navigation too.

The Scenic App has worked really well for me. It's a freemium app. The app itself is free and a few credits are included. You have to purchase credits to download maps and get extra services such as voice directions. There are options to purchase a premium service so you get the voice for life and whatnot. I have the entire US downloaded and lifetime premium services and I think it was around $60 or so. If you look out for deals, they run pretty good discounts throughout the year. Can't remember if I waited for a discount or not.

The app works just like any other map in that you can search for destinations but you can have the app customize your route. Do you want to get there the quickest or do you want to take a more motorcycle friendly route? Do you want to ride on slightly curvy roads, curvy roads or really curvy roads?

You can also completely customize your route as well. Using a computer, go to google maps and setup your route. Copy the URL and paste it in your ride profile on the Scenic web dashboard. Open up the app and import your ride. Done.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
When I plan rides with the Ride Command, I usually pull up Google Maps on the computer at the same time and use that as a reference to find where I want to put my waypoints. Usually it boils down to "ok, I want to turn right at this traffic circle by the odd, L-shaped building", then finding the same geographical features on Ride Command and dropping a waypoint. Or, I will locate addresses in Google Maps, and search the same addresses in Ride Command.
Pretty much how I use it. Except, I use Google + Rever. One of my Bi*t*hes about Ride Command is the screen filters (PC web version). You can't keep the clutter off the screen. Filter settings won't stay set. Maps may not be refined enough. I often encounter RC, both on the web and on the bike, wants to take me on a route that is just incorrect. Of course, it will keep recalculating the route and eventually we will agree.

I use my phone when in my cars that have navigation too.
The Scenic App has worked really well for me. It's a freemium app. The app itself is free and a few credits are included. You have to purchase credits to download maps and get extra services such as voice directions. There are options to purchase a premium service so you get the voice for life and whatnot. I have the entire US downloaded and lifetime premium services and I think it was around $60 or so. If you look out for deals, they run pretty good discounts throughout the year. Can't remember if I waited for a discount or not.

The app works just like any other map in that you can search for destinations but you can have the app customize your route. Do you want to get there the quickest or do you want to take a more motorcycle friendly route? Do you want to ride on slightly curvy roads, curvy roads or really curvy roads?

You can also completely customize your route as well. Using a computer, go to google maps and setup your route. Copy the URL and paste it in your ride profile on the Scenic web dashboard. Open up the app and import your ride. Done.
Me too, I like Google Maps.
Tell me more about this Scenic App.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Tell me more about this Scenic App.
The app was developed specifically for motorcycle riders. That's why there's the route selection from get there quick to taking the scenic route and what kind of roads do you want to ride on.

The app itself is free (and you get a few credits) but you have to use credits to "pay" for state downloads and "premium services". A state like Georgia might be 2 credits where Texas or California might be 4. It's based on the size of the download. Once downloaded, you get updates at no additional cost for life.

Premium services are... it's been a while... little things like voice guidance or if you're exceeding the speed limit, the app can alert you by voice or other things like that. You can set the speed by a percentage over the posted speed or a defined speed (ie 5mph 10mph) over the posted speed.

It's just like any other map where you can search destinations or just put in an address. There's a web portal that you use to link a route made in Google Maps so you can import the route to your phone. When you make your own route, you can choose to share it with the community. Not so useful where I'm at in SE Georgia but if you're near the mountains, I can certainly see how that's beneficial.

One of the cool things is the developers are in Europe so it's a global map thing... not just the US. If you decide to go on vacation to Ireland or Italy and rent a bike, just download whatever country you're in and go on your way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts