Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy from the BEAUtiful Gulf Coast of Texas.

I am planning a trip in the May and plan to travel to the Grand Canyon. We will be towing the Toy Hauler with the RM strapped inside. I am looking for some suggestions of rides that one "MUST NOT MISS" near the old Route 66 corridor.between Amarillo TX and the BIG ditch?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Howdy from the BEAUtiful Gulf Coast of Texas.

I am planning a trip in the May and plan to travel to the Grand Canyon. We will be towing the Toy Hauler with the RM strapped inside. I am looking for some suggestions of rides that one "MUST NOT MISS" near the old Route 66 corridor.between Amarillo TX and the BIG ditch?

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Before Amarillo, stop over and experience the Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas Panhandle, the Second Largest Canyon in the USA. It is 70 miles long and 20 miles wide.

Palo Duro Canyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before Amarillo, stop over and experience the Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas Panhandle, the Second Largest Canyon in the USA. It is 70 miles long and 20 miles wide.

That is actually where we are planning our first overnight and a day or two. thanks for the quick response

·
Registered
553 Posts

I'm glad you are stopping here, this is somewhere I could visit multiple times. Are you going anywhere near New Mexico? Carlsbad and the Guadalupe National Park are cool. The ride from Marfa to Balmorhea is a fun ride too.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Yeah, make sure you take the business loop in Santa Rosa NM and see the Edsel car backhoe and the other Edsel wagons/sedans parked by the street.

Downtown Flagstaff and its 'progressive' bar scene.

A ride thru Willams AZ is enough for most people. Its in a time warp. Like Grants NM and Gallup NM too.

Walnut Canyon National Park about 5 miles east of Flagstaff on I - 40. Nice walk around ancient cliff dwellers. Usually a pack of bikers there. Route 66 becomes I -40 in many places.

Have fun. And if you are into the most desolate place in the USA, ride around to the north rim of the canyon but watch out for Mormons looking for new blood for the colony. Keep wife within armshot. Colorado City is a modern 'Hills Have Eyes' with the infamous Pastor Warren Jeffs hailing from there. Its a real treat to see the polygamists.

·
Bronze member
1,245 Posts
My suggestion would be ride the bike, leave the toy hauler at home and enjoy God's gifts, the natural beauty of the area. We can leave the stench of the road kill out of the equation, but you wont see or enjoy the trip as much when your in the cage.

Reactions: Pikesc and Rowdy

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
I don't know ..............there is a lot of nothing between some points there. I - 40 is certainly more 'fun' than I - 10 thru the whole length of southern Texas, that is for sure. Just be like the 'in -crowd' does at Sturgis. Have the bikes trucked up there and meet you 20 miles outside of town and ride in tall in the saddle with the others that went halfway across country. That way one can do Sturgis and attractions/local rides and only put about 300 miles on the bike. Tops.

Plus a flat tire on a car or truck is gray compared to a bike flat tire.

And you still can smell the stench of dead armadillo's too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions I'll check them out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I just did Joplin mo to California mostly on the old road. The oatman part is fun and it is nice around the canyon and Santa Fe . I am now at Yellowstone and the roads around here and the grand Tetons are a lot of fun....heading to South Dakota which should be quiet by now....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts