Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's around freezing here at night these days with highs of 45 to 50 or so. I recently connected my 2016 Classic to a Battery Tender Jr., and all my engine starts (with tender disconnected just prior) are a little rough -- and yesterday it took 5-6 tries for it to crank over. Something doesn't seem right about this. I suppose it would help to start it while it's connected to the tender, which is fine, but still.... Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Your battery may be getting a little weak... starting while the trickle charger is connected is not required nor recommended. Reserve capacity in a battery is something that slowly declines with time and charge cycles on your battery. A pre-warmed engine will help out quite a bit if that is possible for you.

·
Rider
878 Posts
The first thing I'd check is that the battery terminal connections are tight. I'm not sure that starting the bike with the tender connected is a good idea.

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked the terminals and they seem to be fine -- I should have mentioned that before. I've only started the bike once or twice with the tender connected, but I won't do that again. Not too practical to warm up the engine prior to starting, either.

This is a 2016 that I got in May of this year, and it hasn't had any starting issues until this "cold(er) weather" set-in about 6-8 weeks ago. I'm still getting a DC setting of 14 or so too on my voltage indicator, for whatever that's worth...

·
Rider
878 Posts
Might it be worth checking the spark plugs and leads? I've been caught out by a failed spark plug before (not on my Classic, though). The plug was still fairly new when it failed, and taught me to check the simple stuff first.

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might it be worth checking the spark plugs and leads? I've been caught out by a failed spark plug before (not on my Classic, though). The plug was still fairly new when it failed, and taught me to check the simple stuff first.
That's logical -- but would cold weather affect it? The bike starts fine after it's ridden a bit. This problem only pops up after some days in the garage...

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
It is cold. These engines have more cubic inches than my Kia Soul, but the battery is tiny in comparison. The oil is also a little thicker. I would not start the bike with the tender connected. My Springfield takes 3 to 4 attempts to start in the winter. It has been in the 20s the last week. I don't think you have a problem, just cold.

·
Registered
369 Posts
It's around freezing here at night these days with highs of 45 to 50 or so. I recently connected my 2016 Classic to a Battery Tender Jr., and all my engine starts (with tender disconnected just prior) are a little rough -- and yesterday it took 5-6 tries for it to crank over. Something doesn't seem right about this. I suppose it would help to start it while it's connected to the tender, which is fine, but still.... Thoughts?
I wouldn't attempt to start the engine with the tender connected. The tender, nor tender cable are capable of handling the current required to start the engine. The tender is only designed for a maintenance charge of maybe 1.25 amps, depending on your model. It is not a jumper battery. Starting in the cold can require 500 amps or more, and (on a weak battery) would blow any fuse that is in line to the battery. If you have the tender connected for 24 hours, then disconnect it, your bike should start immediately, without the tender. If not, your battery needs replacing.

·
Bronze member
2,675 Posts
Has said if it's cold it will take some turning over . what grade oil are you using 20/50 will make it worse.

·
Silver member
5,030 Posts
Mine is slightly sluggish in the cold too. I have been letting my fuel pump load twice and it always starts the first time, but you can hear the compression releases struggle slightly. I assume that cold oil plays into it too...

·
Silver member
5,030 Posts
And if you think about it, I believe we only have about 330 cold cranking amps to work with...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,112 Posts
These bike are notorious about their cold weather starting. If you do a search you will find a lot of threads on the subject. I will admit that most times it only takes me 2 or, at the most, three tries to start mine.

http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/problems-starting-roadmaster-in-cold-tempts.70161/

As others have stated, big engine, small battery, thick oil all contribute the problem. Add to that all batteries do not produce as much electrical energy in the cold since the chemical reaction slows down as the temperature drops.

Not me in the video but it shows a typical cold start

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has said if it's cold it will take some turning over . what grade oil are you using 20/50 will make it worse.
Just had my 5,000-mile service a month ago, so it’s whatever the dealer puts in!

·
Silver member
4,648 Posts
I have found that rough starts or more precise longer crank over starts when off of tender and bike sitting for a few days is caused by low voltage while trying to start to be the Injector Latency Table. After adjusting the ms per voltage level, I have seen this solve the problem.

Though it takes a PVCX to gain access to this table.

·
Silver member
4,648 Posts
I have found that rough starts or more precise longer crank over starts when off of tender and bike sitting for a few days is caused by low voltage while trying to start to be the Injector Latency Table. After adjusting the ms per voltage level, I have seen this solve the problem.

Though it takes a PVCX to gain access to this table.
Here's a starting graph that shows the voltage drop when starting. This directly affects the time it takes for the injectors to open and therefore the fuel delivered during start. When it is cold and the battery has been sitting for a day or longer, it is only worse.

As you can see, the starter is barely turning over the engine (190 RPM) when the voltage sags down to 10.47vDC. This is a good start with a battery that had been on a tender until fully charged. When off tender the same bike was taking multiple tries to start. After adjusting the Injector Latency, the bike started after sitting days without tender normally.

Problem is this is not a cut and dry setting, but depends on the aspects of the injectors. If they had been a matched set and tested to measure the latency values, it would make this table setting easy.

Voltage profile.PNG

·
Bronze member
2,399 Posts
Time for one of the REALLY old guys to pop in here and tell us all about the joys of kick starting.:)

·
Bronze member
2,399 Posts
Just had my 5,000-mile service a month ago, so it’s whatever the dealer puts in!
The "recommended oil" is 20W-40 Premium Synthetic Blend (page 169 of your manual). Indian makes no distinction due to temperature or season. Unless you told your dealer you wanted something else this should have been what they put in.

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The "recommended oil" is 20W-40 Premium Synthetic Blend (page 169 of your manual). Indian makes no distinction due to temperature or season. Unless you told your dealer you wanted something else this should have been what they put in.
I'm sure they did me right!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts